2005 Chevrolet Cavalier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 182009

Cavalier 4-cyl

2005 Chevy Cavalier. About a year ago my temperature gauge started malfunctioning. The indicator needle would go off it's gauge and interfere with the speedometer needle. I took it in and had the temp sensor replaced and it seem ed to fix it till a week later the same thing happened. My mechanic thought it might be a faulty sensor so he replaced that. Same thing happened.. I was then told that the instrument cluster would have to be replaced for about $500-$700. I've done research on this problem and it seems to be a wide spread problem with this vehicle. Now the speedometer is malfunctioning. It was indicating 110 mph while I was doing about 45mph. Other times it has read 45 when I was doing about 60 mph. ( I timed myself by mile markers...1 mile in 1 minute = 60 mph. Not only has this raised my chance of speeding tickets but I feel it is a real safety issue. People will be going much faster than their speedometer indicates. GM has recalled truck models with the same problem but not the Cavalier. My guess is that GM does not make that model anymore but they still make the trucks. I am very uncomfortable driving this car now and to get it fixed would be a gamble in itself. They would probably put the same poorly designed and manufactured panel back in. This is just not right. I would appreciate some feedback on this matter. My vehicle is not safe to drive due to poor GM quality. Please help. Thank you.

- Ewing, VA, USA

Dec 252009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. While the contact was driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact also noticed that the windshield wipers suddenly stopped working intermittently. The vehicle had not been inspected when the complaint was filed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 82,000.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Apr 212010

I have had my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 3 years and the speedometer stopped working a year ago. Just yesterday my dashboard lights came on, the tachometer stopped working and I couldn't tell how much gas was in my tank. I thought my airbags were going to deploy for no reason as the light on my dash was lit. I am very concerned about driving this vehicle. Please!!! this is a safety issue!!!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 122008

My daughter owns a 2005 Chevy Cavalier and about 2 years ago the temperature gauge stopped working on it it just stays in one place and then about 3 or 4 months ago the speedometer started acting up and now it just does not work at all and now just recently the tachometer just stopped working now how is someone suppose to drive their vehicle safely with all these problems with their car acting like this!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 012008

Speedometer and RPM controls stop working when car is hot. Can't drive but about three miles before they stop working.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Mar 302010

2005 caalier fuel and speedometer guages stopped working

- Humble, TX, USA

Jan 102010

The vehicles gauges are not working properly and the vehicle is not safe to drive. The temperature gauge goes past hot, even though the car is not driving hot, and goes into the speedometer. When this happens, the need from the temperature gauge stops the speedometer needle from moving past the 15 mph location. This is very dangerous because you are driving faster then 15 mph, but only showing 15 mph. The RPM gauge also does not work properly. There are many complaints on this web site about the same problem with the gauges, and the vehicle should be recalled and GM should fix the problem.

- Delran, NJ, USA

Oct 012009

Gauges go out or get stuck sometimes.

- Newllano, LA, USA

Aug 012009

Cavalier 4-cyl

The speedometer in my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier started to stick in random positions. The tachometer had demonstrated similar behavior for several months prior to the speedometer failure. The gas gage also demonstrated unusual behavior prior to the speedometer failure.

- Morgan, UT, USA

Jan 282010

One day the temperature gauge started reading high. Took it in for a test and the mechanic the car was not overheating. Must be the gauge. When we went to pick it up the speedometer wasn't working properly. This morning taking it to the shop to be repaired the fuel gauge stopped working.

- Littlestown, PA, USA

Jun 012009

I own a 2005 Chevy Cavalier with a faulty cluster that controls instrument panel. I now can smell what seems to be electrical burning. Many other owners have this problem also. GM needs to do a recall on this problem. My gas & temp gauages never work & speedometer is only working part time. I bought this car brand new in 2004 & within 3 months the motor had to be replaced due to factory defect. 6 months later, the clutch. This vehicle has major problems! I was completely surprised to find that there are many others with the exact same problem with their gauage & it is my understanding costs between 600 to 800 dollars to fix! my car only has 46,000 miles on it. Yes, it is a headache to deal with trying to keep up with your gas mileage but now I fear that something is always burning in my car! GM, as I understand, fixed a similar problem with some pick up trucks but won't touch the Cavalier. This needs to be addressed! I am afraid to drive my car for fear it could burst into flames!! I implore you to please make GM accountable for their products. This is obviously a common problem that is truly a factory defect on their part. Consumers should not have to pay for their mistakes!!

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Jan 252010

Cavalier 4-cyl

Rear directional turn signals have stopped operating ( left rear signal lamp) front left signal lamp operates at a rapid rate, left rear signal lamp will not flash, but both rear lamp bulbs are illuminated.

- Barhamsville, VA, USA

Jan 192010

2005 Chevy Cavalier, re: Erratic speedometer. Local dealer healey Chevy says throw away entire cluster, cost of part @ $300 local vinjo oil change express says, test sensors by tranny for @ 1 hour and change individual ones, as needed. 180 degrees apart !! makes sense since gauges are getting false pulse. Speedo does stick too, otherwise rest of cluster functions, odometer and all other gauges(they can't spell at Chevy) ok.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Dec 232009

Speedometer fails to indicate correct speed at unpredictable variances.

- Brookfield , IL, USA

Dec 182009

Chevy Cavalier 2005 malfunctioning dash instruments speedometer no longer working gas gauge no longer working.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 282009

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier and my speedometer and gas gauge have gone crazy, this repair is upwards of about $600 and I just went online to figure out what I could do and found a website called where 30 other people had the same if not similar issue with the 2004-2005 Cavalier, there was rumor of a recall after the car stimulus event, but now I need to get my car inspected and cannot because of this issue. I have used a gps to monitor my speed, thank god for those and so have several other people, but I believe this is a major safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 122008

First the tachometer redlined about 2 years ago. Mechanic said it's not really an important instrument so ignore it (it sticks constantly now). However, beginning of 2009, the temperature gauge started reading hot and sticking. About November the speedometer joined in and is sticking.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 182008

Almost the entire gauge cluster (speedometer, fuel, tach, etc) has gone haywire. I am uncertain as I drive of speed, fuel, etc. Other Chevrolet Cavalier indicate the same safety concern and the fact that GM refuses to correct the safety problem. Al ferry

- Jefferson, LA, USA

Nov 302009

My 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel and temperature gauges quit working. I ran out of gas in a remote location while the gauge said I had half a tank. I consider this to be a safety issue for me and my family.

- Orangeville, UT, USA

Nov 242009

All gauges going haywire. The most important one being the speedometer registering various speeds when I am not moving and registering over 110 miles per hour when it is impossible that I am going over 20 mph.

- Hilliard, FL, USA