8.0

2. change dashboard gauge (2 reports)
  3. pull out 4th fuse from the top on left side which is a10 amp (2 reports)
  4. remove neg. battery cable wait 30 sec then replace (2 reports)
  5. buy a another car (1 reports)
  6. purchase new stepper motor (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Cavalier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 112009

Cavalier

All of my gauges have gone bad. The temperature gauge doesnt work, the speedometer is sh*t and now the gas gauge sucks.

- , West Jordan, Utah, USA

Jul 012012

Cavalier LS Sport

• I sent this email to Chevy, hopefully they'll do something. I'll post their response.

I am contacting you about my 2005 Chevy Cavalier and some serious malfunctions and many other complaints from other owners of the same vehicle as are documented on many website complaints. There are serious malfunctions with my instrument panel of the speedometer not working accurately as the temperature gauge needle wrapped around and blocked the speedometer from telling the accurate speed and now both gauges don't work. Also the horn doesn't work and there is trouble with the clock spring. These are all very serious safety issues and I'm shocked there hasn't been a recall. These are not just normal wear and tear problems and standard maintenance. These are life threatening malfunctions and there should be a recall! I have owned this car for just 3 years and I'm honestly very disappointed of buying a Chevy. I never thought you could have these type of problems with no recall. I have owned older vehicles and owned a 97 Dodge Intrepid for 10 years and not once had to deal with any electrical problems and standard safety problems.

I'm asking for you to please take this seriously and understand that people's safety are in jeopardy because of this poorly made vehicle and that there should be a recall on these problems. At the very least I would like to have my vehicle instrument panel and horn working free of charge from the dealership.

I will also attach complaints websites from other customers that I hope you take seriously.

Thank you for your time.

- , Rockford, Illinois, USA

May 212012

Cavalier LS V6

I tap the panel and it works - then everything sticks - speedometer doesn't even go down to 0 when car is stopped - it's crazy.

- , Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Aug 012013

Cavalier ES 2.2L

I HATE my 2005 Chevy Cavalier.....what a piece of crap. Like everyone else the gauges are all going crazy. Don't know how much gas I have or if my car is over heating or how fast I am driving.

Why is there no recall on this!!!!!!!!

Susan in S.C.

- , Elgin, SC, USA

Sep 142010

Cavalier LX 2.2L

Okay, in 2005t my wife and I bought two brand new 2005 Cavalier's hers has an automatic trans and black in color mine is a manual trans and red thought we had a nice his and hers low cost nice looking cars that would last a good 10 years well... about four years went by basically trouble free until her gauges started going nuts at about 50,000 miles and then about exactly 1 month later mine started doing the same thing but only at 30,000 miles i do not drive mine much as i drive a different car most of the time so this tells me that time has to do with this problem and not mileage something's is shorting out due to corrosion I have good mechanical skills and can fix about anything so I replaced all the steeper motors in the cluster and reset the computer worked for about a week and still the same thing. I think now the solution would be to replace the instrument cluster but now thinking the problem is somewhere in the wiring harness just before the fuse box will keep posted GM should definitely fix this problem i have two of these cars!

- , Mpls, MN, USA

May 162007

Cavalier 2.5L 4 cyl

Gauges went haywire the same month I bought the vehicle with less then 500 miles. Brought it back to the dealer and was told that they could not find a problem.

- , Auburn, Maine, USA

Aug 012010

Cavalier LS V4

Fuel gauge went out, the spedometer went out, $500.00 later- Uncceptable!

- , Lockport, IL, USA

Feb 152012

Cavalier

Apparently a lot of people have this gas gauge issue so I thought I would share the solution that worked for me. I got the car a year ago from the dealer, and I did not notice the issue with the inaccurate gas gauge reading because I did not know how much gas was in the car to begin with. It took a week or so for me to realize that I would go from a half of a tank to a full tank and vis versa in a day. I called the dealer and he order a new dashboard gauge unit from a 2001 cavalier model and installed it for me. He only charged me for the actual unit so I paid $75. Although, I think I should not have paid anything, but I only had a limited warranty and electrical was not apart of it. It has been a year since the installation and It still works like a charm. Try this out before you spend hundreds of dollars!!

- , Irvine, CA, USA

May 172012

Cavalier

I REALLY LOVE THIS CAR. I'M SO HAPPY .

IT SEEMS EVERYONE IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.

GAUGES ARE MESSING UP. THEY WENT CRAZY. THEN MY CAR WOULD NOT START, LEAVING ME STRANDED. HAD TO PHONE FOR HELP.

NOW WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS WHY THIS PAGE IS HERE TO YELL ABOUT IF NO ONE IS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. THIS IS A PROBLEM EVERYONE ON HERE IS TALKING ABOUT IT . IF I HAVE TO FIX THIS I SHOULD BE REIMBURSED FOR THE COST OF REPAIR . ITS A DEFECT IN THE MAKING OF THE CAR . ASK ANYONE ON HERE.

SINCERELY,

PISSED OFF

- , portsmouth, ohio, USA

Dec 012011

Cavalier

The gas gauge on my 2005 Cavalier sometimes goes haywire. It may read correctly, then a few days later starts at half a tank (when full) and after starting, reads a tank and a half. The gas gauge interferes with the temperature gauge, so I don't know accurately how much fuel I have or the correct engine temp. So far, no recall notice from GM but I am planning on calling them to complain. I did contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the possible dangers of this problem. They informed me that if they get enough complaints, they may contact GM to try to initiate a recall. PLEASE, PLEASE DO THIS !!! Their contact info is at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact. Please do this so that maybe they can get GM to fix this for free. My understanding is that this is a $700 repair at the dealer. It is definitely a defect.

- , Waukegan, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Cavalier

I was driving one day and my speedometer, gas gauge, and temp gauge started going crazy. My fuses were checked, which were fine. I was told I may need a computer for my car. However, after viewing this site I think there may be a manufacture problem with cavaliers.

- , Beaumont, TX, USA

Aug 072009

Cavalier 2.2L

I have always been a Chevy person. The only vehicle I have ever owned that was not a Chevy was my first one and that was a VW. I really liked this car when I first bought it then things started going wrong with it when it was only two years old. Now I have no working gauges at all. It started with the speedometer and you could turn the ignition on and off until it reset but when it was hot outside as soon as you stopped the speedometer would start messing up again then it would work for a while then mess up again, then the RPM gauge started messing up, then the temperature gauge started, and finally the gas gauge went. It is impossible to get my car inspected so I can tag it now because I have no speedometer. This is my only vehicle and all of the mechanics I have talked to say it will cost around $2000.00 to fix and they will need my car for up to 2 weeks. Like I said this is my only vehicle and can not be without it for that long and I sure do not have the money to fix it either.

- , Kermit, Texas, USA

Nov 092011

Cavalier LS Sport

I brought this car brand new and loved it. Now, that I just paid it off, I am ready to drive it off a cliff. It has gotten on my last nerve. The gauges are totally hay wire. Some times they set themselves back . Lately, I never know how much gas I have or how fast I am driving. Chevy should be ashamed of themselves on not doing a re-call on this vehicle. I will never buy another Chevy car. This is a dangerous situation. Are they waiting for someone to be killed before they do a re-call? VERY PISSED OFF!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 072011

Cavalier LS

Had to have 2005 Chevy cavalier towed to house from job...22 miles...75.00 bucks down the drain.....first speedometer went wack for 3 weeks...then today the temp gauge went to red after I pulled out of the parking lot so I immediately pulled over into another parking lot. 2 older men looked at car cause I had hood up and said it was not radiator, but fan did stop so they thought could be thermostat, then they told me to go home and look up cavalier problems because thats why they stopped making them....and wow after seeing all the problems I am so sorry I bought this car....ran great until now....have had car since 3 miles old and now had 83,0000...so crazy it just went to crap....I have kept up with all oil changes (run synthetic) and maintenance so am very upset....I have no idea where to go from here......

- , Hampton, GA, USA

Jun 302011

Cavalier

same as everyone else's problem .... nothing on my dash works anymore,its a shame we put our trust in the big companies and buy their products and they bend you over without a kiss even , i say "RECALL AND FIX THE DAM PROBLEM OF YOUR FAULTY PRODUCT CHEVY PEOPLE !" its not like its only one or two of your cars and its not a coincidence a lot of us trusted your cars , i love my car but wanting to get rid of it because of this problem and believe me if i do i will definitely not buy another chevy......

- , westwego, Louisiana, USA

May 172011

Cavalier 2.2L

gee the gauges quit working ,,can't read odometer,, can't tell rpms,, sometimes they work sometimes they don't.. chevy needs to recall 2005 ,,just to fix the bugs,,

- , Meyersdale, PA, USA

Aug 052011

Cavalier

I helped my granddaughter get a 2005 cavalier with only 26000 miles on it. It was owned by a friend of mine who seldom went anywhere. She told us the gas gauge was not working but everything else was fine. I know she was truthful. My granddaughter got this car and was making payments on it three months before she got her license. Finally the big day came and she drove her car to work. The second day she drove it, the speedometer and the temp gauges quit working. Due to her inexperience, her mom was afraid to let her drive it the third day so she took her to work. My granddaughter is crushed. She now has no money left and no car to drive. After reading the complaints, I am crushed. Shame on Chevrolet! I am so glad I purchased a new foreign car last year. It was the first time I had not bought a Chevrolet. No wonder everyone is leaving the cheaply made American cars.

- , Shallotte, NC, USA

May 102010

Cavalier 2.2L

For a year now I have slowly been losing my gauges in my 2005 Chevy Cavalier. First it was the speedometer stopped working. Then the gas gauge needle kept jumping over into the temp gauge interlocking and causing neither to work properly. Now neither work at all. At least for approx 6 months I had the tachometer to kind-of judge my speed by. Now that has gone out completely also. My odometer will jump back and forth from the mileage to ERROR with all dash warning lights going off and on at random. Changing fuses only fixes the odometer dash warning lights temporarily. They still jump back and forth to ERROR. Now I cant even get my car to pass SMOG test due to FUNCTIONAL CHECK FAIL. Emission Test passed. WHY WONT CHEVY OWN UP AND DO A RECALL AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM !!! I feel that not knowing the speed of your vehicle is a danger in itself.

- , Rialto, CA, USA

Feb 062010

Cavalier

Seeing that we all are having same gauge issues with this vehicle we should all write letters to Chevy demanding a recall and that they fix this. I could not figure out what the hell was wrong with my car. I am so glad I did not try to get this fixed and pay for nothing. I will surely try some of the suggestions posted. Someone also told me that they got their computer reset and that helped, not sure after reading all these post if I even want to try that. Think I will just deal with this issue until I dump the car on the next dealership.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

May 152009

Cavalier 2.2L

MY INSTRUMENT GAUGES HAVE GONE HAYWIRE, DON'T KNOW WHAT SPEED I'M GOING OR HOW MUCH GAS IN THE VEHICLE, AND FROM WHAT I'M READING FIXING IT WITH A NEW GAGE WOULD ONLY HELP TEMPORARILY.CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY GM HAS NOT RECALLED THIS VEHICLE WITH ALL THE COMPLAINTS. SOMEONE NEEDS TO START A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT.

- , Paynesville, WV, USA