CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

8.9

$2,000.00

2. replace car (2 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Jun 162010

Cobalt LS

I purchased my car at Rockland Nissan used. When it first happened three weeks after purchasing the car the dealership replaced the gauge cluster. It was fine for about a month and then all the gauges started the go haywire again. Then I took it to a chevy dealership and paid out of my pocket for a diagnostic test done and they said I need to replace the bcm and it wasn't covered under warranty. The cost of that is almost 800.00, so I had it towed back to the dealership and told them and they had it for two weeks. Guess what the outcome was? Surprise the couldn't find nothing wrong with the car. Now nobody wants to return my phone calls and I haven't even put 3,000 miles on it yet. Who has $800 to get something repaired when everyone is having this problem and it should be recalled. I just got rid of my 1998 cavalier for minor repairs I got tired of fixing. For all of these problems I should had just kept my caviler.

- , New Windsor, New York, USA

Jul 082010

Cobalt

I was driving my 2005 Cobalt down the highway when all of a sudden all the gages on my dash started going nuts! The speeometer needle was going crazy as was the RPM needle. All the lights on the digital display where acting crazy. The power steering light came on and as I was pulling of the highway the car started to jerk and act like it was going to stall out. When I restarted the car it was fine. Then the next day it did the same thing but then I could not turn my wheel. I had the car towed to the dealer and they called me and said nothing was wrong with car. It was running fine!!

I have done my research and found that hundreds of people are having the same problem!! I have several friends with car and all of them are having this problem too. The dealer will not do anything about it! I still owe on the car and am now forced to buy a new car! I will never buy a Chevy again. Obvoisly there is something wrong with these cars and Chevy refuses to do anything about it.

P.S. I had the power steering pump replaced due to the recall so that is not the problem. It has to be a computer/electrical problem.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 072010

Cobalt

So many people have reported this problem, why isn't there a recall? I could killed in this thing and I can't afford to get it fixed out of pocket.

- , Mansfield, OH, USA

Feb 132010

Cobalt LS 2.2L V4

The power steering unit went on a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. Dealer is saying the part alone is $2000.00? plus labor. This should be a chevy RECALL. Any suggestions?

- , Medina, OH, USA

Nov 282009

Cobalt

I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE STREET WITH MY 2 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER AND THE POWER STEERNG LIGHT COMES ON JUST AS I WAS ABOUT TO TURN SO IMAGINE MY HORROR WHEN THE CAR DIDN'T TURN. TO SAY I WAS PISSED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT, WHEN I HAD JUST SPENT 700.00 DOLLARS TO FIX THE WHEEL BEARINGS. THIS CAR HAS BECOME A PAIN IN MY ASS. I DON'T MAKE THAT KIND OF MONEY TO REPAIR THINGS THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE AT FAULT. IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A RELIABLE CAR MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS!

- , Covington, TN, USA

Oct 142009

Cobalt LS

It started about 6 months ago, when the key started getting stuck in the ignition.I had to go back and fourth from park to drive to get it out.Then about a month ago,I was on my way to work and all the gauges went crazy and the power steering went out.While this was going on the transmission changed gears ruffly.I had to stop and turn off the car,then turn it back on, to get it to stop!!! This week i have not been able to drive to work,it has got so bad.Even when i stop and turn it off now, it doesn't help anymore.I'm thinking about filing a Class Action Lawsuit.Is anyone else interested?

- , Phippsburg, ME, USA

Jan 012008

Cobalt 2.2L

I bought this car new in 05' and have had nothing but problems with it, the check engine light would come on and the car would just shut off, power steering comes on and the car shuts off, this car is a death trap, the whole car should be recalled!! I would not recommend anyone to buy one!

- , Mahanoy CIty, Pennslyvania, USA

Aug 032008

Cobalt LS 2.2L V4

I am writing to report the same problem that Dan in Ohio had with his daughter's car. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Cobalt/2005/electrical/power_steering_warning_light_on_loss_of_power_steering.shtml

Tonight, my girlfriend called on her way to work to tell me her car didn't work. I took her my Acura and promised to get the 05 Cobalt LS home.

I got in and found...

transmission light on indicator reading POWER STEERING no power steering speedometer has mind of its own tach jumps sporadically transmission slams into all gears very hard sometimes the dash would show me the temperature outside and then "---"

I got the car home by jockeying her automatic shifter from neutral to 1st and 2nd gears at stop signs. I've dealt with no power steering so that was no big deal. The lights, signals and radio worked fine. There is no way to operate this car in its current condition. It's a shame, too, that I gave her my car that is more than twice as old because her 2005 is less reliable.

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 272007

Cobalt LX 2.2L

Scene 1 - My daughter gets in the car to leave from work (11:00pm) starts the car and the "powersteering" warning appears in the instrument panel area and the car has no powersteering and the wheel is very stiff. After a few moments of tension and worry the powersteering warning disappears and she proceeds to leave the parking lot and the car starts jumping and almost stalls as she is pulling out into traffic. As she drives down the road the car continues to jump when changing gears (THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION). The next day I drive the car and nothing happens everything appears to be okay.

Scene 2 - Same as Scene 1, so I take time from work to drive the car to dealer and they have to keep it overnite but I have no car to drive so they provide a rental that I have to pay half the cost. Guess what kind of car they give me ... YEP a Cobalt LS

Scene 3 - My daughter and I had dinner out at a local establishment and guess what happened? See Scene 1! After the powersteering warning went off, the car acted like it had manual transmission but I have no clutch (DID I MENTION THE TRANSMISSION IS AUTOMATIC?) and the car stalled twice and the car jerked everytime it changed gears.

After Scene 2 occurred I took the car to the dealership and they could not make the car do any of the things I described above. They told me to bring it in next time it does this and I took it there tonight but of course they were closed before I got there which was 7:01 and they close at 7:00.

I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow morning and I'm getting another car. I am not risking my daughter or anyone else's life by driving that car.

- , Struthers, OH, USA