CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 242016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel was unable to move. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after three minutes. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,769.

- Valaparaiso, FL, USA

Oct 012016

Cobalt

Timing chain tenser bolt and guide brakes and destroys the motor on Chevrolet Cobalt 2005 causing the car to not start also turns on the check engine light and goes to low power mode also the transmission has problem too

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 252016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was stationary, the ignition key became stuck in the vehicle. On another occasion, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into the reverse gear. In addition, the vehicle would not start when prompted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 158,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wilson, NC, USA

May 022016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel power and the engine warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted after five to ten minutes. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 184,089.

- North Myrtle, SC, USA

May 142016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted, and all the instrument panel lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failures could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,439. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Apr 112016

Cobalt

This issue seems to be a common problem with the 2005 Cobalt. Please research any car complaint websites about this certain vehicle. Even though all the recalls have been taken care of, while in motion, at any time and any speed, the dash lights starts flashing and you get the message power steering on message center, tc light comes on, light that shows padlock symbol comes on, RPM needle jumps up and down, steering wheel locks up, motor surges and shakes, and you hear all types of clicking sounds below gear shifter. This is a very dangerous thing and Chevrolet/GM just cannot seem to fix this issue or even find anything wrong. The 2005 Cobalt needs to be recalled and any other year of Cobalt having this issue. I will give you below the last date this has happened, but this has went on since we got the car in 2008. My daughter is in school in Kansas City, and this issue has happened quite frequently lately. The only remedy is to pull to side of road, shut off vehicle and restart and hope it does not act up again. I just wonder how may deaths have happened already because of this faulty GM product and no one knew it was because of what the Cobalt did, locked up on its driver.

- Thayer, KS, USA

Apr 042016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the contact noticed fuel fumes emitting from the inner part of the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after some time. The check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the exhaust, oxygen sensor, thermostat and other unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure persisted as the contact noticed fuel leaking from underneath the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 182016

Cobalt

I was driving down the interstate, when my warning light came on, and said "engn pwr reduced" it immediately slowed from 70 mph, to 10 mph and wouldn't rev past 2000 RPM's. the source cannot be found as to why it happened and almost cost me my life on the interstate.

- Waynesville, MO, USA

Dec 092015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle accelerated. The vehicle stalled when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not able to restart. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,147.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 102015

Cobalt

I was driving the car in the city street when the engine light came on. I continue to drive the car when I start hearing click sound than I hear bell sound come from the car. The car wouldn't go any faster than 40 mile hr & the gauges were jumping all over the place. I continue to drive the car then the words "power steering" came on where my mileage would show. All of the recalls have been repaired and something still wrong with this car. I asked GM to take look at the car without charging(money) to see if it is relative to the recall. The dealership said they couldn't tell if they would charged me money or not.

- Simpson, NC, USA

Sep 252015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. After the vehicle was started, the enhance traction system, check engine, and power steering warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, when the vehicle was switched into the reverse position, there was an abnormal sound coming from the gear shift. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,377. Updated 03/11/16

- Syracuse, NY, USA

May 012009

Cobalt

Engine would not turn over no electrical connection this happened several times during ownership.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 132015

3800 chadwood

- Harvey, LA, USA

Apr 132015

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving on the street my car signaled reduced power, then engine disabled. Car slowed down to about 10 miles an hour, could not accelerate. Had to pull the car over, and turn the car off. Waited about five minutes and restarted my car. This happens about three times daily, and I was told by Chevrolet and GM that it's a common issue with Chevrolet Cobalts between the years 2005 and 2009 but this is not on recall. Today my car stalled five times and my bumper was hit by another car. I've been calling Chevrolet for the past two weeks and trying to see what can be done about my car as it is the only issue.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Mar 262015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the gear failed to switch and the check engine and power steering warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Mar 092015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After restarting, the vehicle was able to resume normal function. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, who diagnosed that the head gasket was blown and caused internal damage to the engine. As a result, the engine required replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jan 082015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The vehicle will periodically jerk/hiccup at random while driving. On January 8, 2015 while traveling on the expressway, the vehicle began to randomly sputter/jerk/hiccup. The vehicle did not loose power, or was there any indication from dash board icons of any malfunction. There was not any visible warnings signs to alert a faulty system. This has occurred previously, while traveling throughout the city at speeds of 25-45 mph. During the most recent incident, traveling speeds varied from 50-70 mph on the expressway. This particular instance I was driving a 60 mile trip and this jerking occurred 7-10 times. The first time this occurred was probably 1.5 years ago. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic after the first instance, without anything being detected or a diagnosis. The issue is progressively worsening. It is beginning to happen more frequently. Last week, of the 4 days of travel on the expressway, the jerking occurred 3 of those days. Initially, I felt, this was associated to the cold and weather/temperature, but this has also occurred in warmer months. This is a definite safety issue, as it relates to myself, and others traveling in my vicinity.

- Flint, MI, USA

Apr 052005

Cobalt 4-cyl

I purchased a Chevy Cobalt brand new in 2005. From the moment it left dealership I have had one recall issue after another. The main issue is stalling while driving caused by the ignition switch. This had been fixed at schumacer Chevrolet several times. My vehicle continues to stall and I am terrified of causing an accident due to this recall which GM refuses to fix. I feel I was sold a lemon and all I get from GM and the local dealers is nothing. My vehicle is worse with the stalling. I don't know where to turn to. Please help. I don't want monetary compensation from GM if I or any passenger in my vehicle dies in an accident due to a malfunction due to GM.

- Passaic, NJ, USA

Jan 242012

Cobalt 4-cyl

On 01//24/2012 I was driving my 2005 Cobalt on the lodge freeway in Michigan my car just turn off for no reason while I was driving at 55 mph, yes I was injured and lost control of my car.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA