CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

9.1

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Dec 012006

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving at about 20 mph after stopping at a red light when my car shut off, my dashboard lights went blank. I was able to restart my car and it has happened since. Today while driving at 65 mph on the interstate, my car started to shake badly and I almost lost control. I tried to brake but it made the shaking worse. The car felt like it had lost power. I was able to pull over. I thought at first maybe a flat tire but no. As quickly as it happened it went away. I am very unhappy about this and had problems with GM cars before. You would think I would have learned my lesson and went with a Honda or Toyota.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Aug 282006

Cobalt

The paint on the interior of the car continues to peel off.

- Blasdell, NY, USA

Oct 052005

Cobalt 4-cyl

Washed car in parking lot, parked car in car port over night. Approximately 18 hours later after starting the engine attempted to pull out of the car port and the car felt stuck, I got out to make sure nothing was blocking the wheels; tried driving the car again with greater acceleration--was able to move car but the right rear wheel was locked and made skid marks and sounds for about 15 feet, the wheel would not unlock, tried putting the car in reverse, the wheel remained locked, then tried accelerated and braking hard, the wheel would not unlock. Called Chevrolet roadside assistance they sent a flatbed truck to take to dealer, the tow truck driver had the same problem, at my home and at the dealer; left Cobalt in the service drive overnight; next day when service drove the vehicle into service it operated normally. Dealers service dept was unable to duplicate the problem--I am concerned about this happening when I am not home or I am driving. 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt ls.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 182005

Cobalt

Clutch went on car after 60 miles (2 weeks old) been in toms Chevrolet repair shop for three week still not parts.

- Milton, MA, USA