CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but was informed that the part needed was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. The approximate current mileage was 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Holden, MO, USA

May 182010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The key failed to turn and could not be removed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact received the recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate mileage was 87,000.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

Mar 092014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the contact crashed. The contact was unable to recall what he crashed into. Upon impact, the air bags failed to deploy. The contact suffered neck and back injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact received the recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure of mileage was unknown.

- Romney, WV, USA

Mar 112014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number:14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but was made aware that parts were not available for the recall. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Apr 062014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My daughter was on her way to work and was unable to stop andhit the rear end of the vehicle in front of her. The car shut off... she did what the recall was told to do and had just the key in the ignition... luckily she was able to turn on the car to get out of traffic and she was not going too fast the seatbelts did not work and the airbag did not work as well.. also before we knew about the recall her ignition was messing up by not able to completely turn off while in park and key would not come out... we have to shift gears and turn off and on the car to get the key loose... so now we are down a car, I paid the car in full and its now not drivable... ??

- Tyler, TX, USA

Apr 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice and was waiting for further notification. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and who made minor repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,000 miles. The current mileage was 13,252 miles. Updated 6/17/14

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

May 152013

Cobalt

My Cobalt, which is now totaled, was in a highway accident and the car malfunctioned. The front end of the car collided into the rear end of pickup truck and then went out of control and the left side of the car smashed into the concrete guardrail. At some point during the crash, the car shut off and the airbags never deployed. When the car finally stopped, my fianc was unable to turn it back on and had to push it off the busy highway before someone else hit the car.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 292010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was stopped at a red signal for a few minutes. Suddenly, a university of buffalo student hit my car from the rear at full force. He was texting and when he got out of the car he was still texting. He admitted it was his fault because he was not looking at the road and was texting on his phone. I called the police and obtained a police report. The air bags did not work. My mom and I were jolted forward at full force with back and neck trauma. My car stalled on impact of the other car. Luckily my foot was on the brake and I did not hit the car in front of me. I had to restart my car and I pulled the car over to the side of the road in order to not block the busy street. I complained that my air bags did not work but I was ignored. Also, the ignition switch had turned off the car which I thought was strange.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Feb 262014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Was heading to work when the Chevy Cobalt suddenly shut off, causing me to lose power brakes, power steering, and causing the air bags not to deploy when I went straight threw a stop sign impacting into a snow bank.

- Frederic, MI, USA

Aug 182011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000 and the current mileage was 71,155.

- Avonmore, PA, USA

Jan 152013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the ignition module failed and caused the vehicle to stall sporadically and without warning. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic twice, who was unable to diagnose the failure both times. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number:14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) after the failure and was awaiting the parts needed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Three Rivers , MI, USA

Jul 092007

Cobalt 4-cyl

I am not quite sure of the date as it was a years ago. My grand daughter was driving this car when someone turned left in front of her. It was deemed the other persons fault. She hit this car going somewhere between 25 to 35 mph. The air bag never deployed. I am now only bringing this up as I am reading about the 2005 Cobalt being recalled and that it some cases the air bag did not deploy. I still own this car and today received my first notice from GM that this car is being recalled for an ignition problem. The engine never stopped in this accident that I am aware of. I just wanted to pass this information along to you Agency. Thank you this may not be the date but I had to put something in the required field. The car was purchased from progressive Chevrolet. That is also where it was repaired they may have info. On actual date.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 132011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The 05 Cobalt, regularly serviced by the dealer where it was bought crashed after going out of control when the ignition switched off on the interstate at 60 mph. The steering locked, the ABS did not function, when it crashed into the guard rail the air bags did not deploy. The only warning was the dash warning lights all lighting up and the alarm sounds. The one second or so did not allow any chance to the driver to react before the crash. After the accident, when the dealer was contacted, we were advised to contact the GM person. The GM person was friendly and nice, but very firm in stating that we needed to have proof that the car failed, rather the driver at the wheel. The cars computer was not analyzed because the wrecking yard demanded over $700 to tow the car out of the wrecking yard so any investigator could look over the car. GM told us that it was our problem to pay the bill to allow their investigator to look at the car. We did not have the money. After reading numerous comments on the NHTSA site and blogs, people never heard a word from GM after they retrieved the computer. The salient point is that many of the over a thousand complaints about the Cobalt and other similar GM cars that identified the power steering as the problem that caused a crash are wrong. The power steering was not the cause of the crash. The problem was that the ignition switch turned off. The GM recalls about the power steering problem hide the fact that the ignition switches were turning off while the car was moving down the road. We know that the lack of power assist only affect the car at a stop or very slow speeds. Experienced drivers do not crash their car into guard rails, ditches, trees or other car simply because the power assist fails. That story is what GM has been selling in the past few years.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 202013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled, causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries however, a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and ruled as destroyed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the recall notification was not received until after the crash had occurred. The vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of the stalling or air bag failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Aug 132011

Cobalt 4-cyl

This submission is an addendum to the report that I submitted on Aug 15, 2011; reference number 10419491 with the attachments that include the police report, may statement and photos. I submitted my report two days after the accident. Now, after reading the news articles and the GM statements regarding the faulty ignition switch, it is apparent that what I thought was a steering malfunction (per the recalls I received and the statements made to me by GM representatives) was clearly the ignition switch. While driving down the freeway at 60 mph my dash lights turned on, I immediately lost steering control (I could not turn my steering wheel) and swerved had to the left crashing into the guard rail. The accident report shows my skid marks across three traffic lanes that clearly indicate that my ABS system also was not working. My airbags did not deploy even though my front end was crushed and the car totaled. Nothing on my car worked because the ignition switch had turned off. My original report should indicate that my car suffered an ignition switch malfunction that caused the accident. I was belted in so after being released from the hospital emergency room (I was taken by ambulance from the crash site) I was diagnosed with a cervical sprain, multiple cuts and bruises, sprained ankle and knee. My head impacted the windshield even though I had my seat belt on.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jul 292011

Cobalt

While driving my car, my wife was hit by another vehicle. The air bags on the other vehicle deployed but the air bags in my car did not.

- Stokesdale, NC, USA

Aug 022010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was on my way home from work when a kid failed to yield to oncoming traffic. I hit him on the passenger side with the front of my vehicle. I was traveling approximately 40 mph. His airbags deployed, my air bags did not. I proceeded to file a complaint with GM. After several months going back and forth with the complaint process with GM: They said there was nothing wrong with the car. They also stated that with the type of front end impact, they would not expect the airbags to deploy. I argued that the other cars did with a side impact, mine should have with a frontal impact. I do have pictures that tell the story very clearly. I also went through 6 - 8 weeks of physical therapy to try and cope with the pain. I still have pain 3.5 years after the crash. Updated 04/07/14 updated 07/22/14

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 142006

Cobalt

Was hit from a car going 70 miles per hr. The seat belts that morning were not working for the driver side, enabling my mother to have safety protection. We have evidence and pictures of this, she was thrown out of the car. The passenger side airbag did not deploy, because we were hit at such a fast speed, it caused our car to spin around in circles and run into a building. The passenger side seat belt also did not lock up, causing me to be thrown into the driver seat without the airbags presence to keep me in place. I am disgusted to know there was acknowledgment of this in 2004 yet they just now choose to call a recall on these situations.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While making a left turn, the car felt as if it was sliding and hit a guardrail. Then, slide alongside it. That impact propelled my car across the street and it collided with a guard-wall, on the other side of the street, totaling the vehicle.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 292012

Cobalt

My son was driving back from work at 11:30 P.M. on a dark desert road when he came upon a man fixing a tire at the side of the road. This gentleman's car was out onto the road a bit and the dps officers were called by other drivers since it was a hazardous situation. My son then came along and hit the car with the right front of his car (no deployment of airbags at this point). Then attempted to correct the situation and rolled his car onto the desert floor landing on the roof. Still no bags deployed at this time. There were sparks coming from the vehicle and he crawled out the driver side window. At that time the dps officer was at the scene. He sustained seatbelt burn to his neck, road burn to arm, back and cut finger from broken glass.

- Peoria, AZ, USA