Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 32 of 50)

Apr 122009

(12/31/09) I have not had powersteering since April on my 2005 Chevy Cobalt something needs to be done there are hundreds of complaints online about this problem I don't understand why there is not a recall on it. When it first started it would happen every couple of days, within a month the powersteering would only last a few seconds someone is going to get seriously injured if not killed if this isn't taken care of soon please help!

- Myerstown , PA, USA

Dec 232009

2005 Chevy Cobalt sudden power steering failure while driving on freeway in dallas, tx. There was no warning or problems prior to power steering going out, and we were in heavy traffic in an area with several curves in the road. This was very frightening and extremely dangerous. After turning vehicle off and back on, ps worked for a few minutes then went out again and continued like this for remainder of trip. There are many reports of this exact same issue from other Cobalt owners on the internet forums. See this is an electrical issue and a design flaw in the Cobalt. I was told by dealership service department that the steering column would most likely need to be replaced and was quoted repair cost ranging from $1000-$2000. My warranty has expired, and I cannot afford this at this time. Chevy needs to do something to fix this before there are injuries/deaths.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Sep 242009

For the past 2-3 months my 2005 Chevy Cobalt loses it's power steering going over a small bump in the road (an uneven surface). If the car is restarted the power steering comes back until the next bump in the road. I've taken my complaint to Chevrolet and all they have done is told me to make an appointment with their mechanic. I've noticed that there are several Chevy Cobalt owners that are experiencing the same problem as me. I was also told that the whole power steering mechanism needed to be replaced for the problem to go away. I have also been told by mechanic friends of mine that, given time, the whole power steering could seize on me and I would have no way to avoid an accident. I have been pulled over by local pd because they thought I was drunk because I couldn't stay in my lane on a turn. I can't afford to be drunk because I'm a bus driver and I would get fired if I ever was drunk.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Dec 202009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering failed. He contacted the dealer, and the technician stated that the power steering column needed to be replaced at an expense of $900. The failure and current mileages were 89,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 2/17/10 updated 02/22/10

- Rochester , NY, USA

Dec 242009

Power steering failed without warning while driving, almost resulting in crash. The vehicle beeps and displays "power steering" on the screen in the dash when it fails.turning the vehicle off then on restores power steering, but after approx. A quarter mile of driving it fails again. There are hundreds of similar complaints listed online from other owners of the same vehicle.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Dec 082009

I was driving down the road and I heard a dings chime I looked at my console and it read power steering and that moment my power steering went out and I had lost control of my car. I had to slam on my brakes due to a sharp turn ahead. Needless to say if would of been closer to the turn I may have been in an accident. Since then the console flashes the words power steering on and off and I can't turn the car when it happens my first child was born on Dec 10,2009 and I'm afraid to take him to the doctor or my wife to the groceries store this vehicle is a safety hazard for boththe owners and other motorist on the road a recall must be made before someone is seriously injured or killed shame on Chevy for selling such a low quality vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 202009

The power steering in my 2005 Chevy Cobalt ls fails unexpectedly. There seems to be no reason as to why, or when this will happen again. I believe that it is a safety hazard because there are random times when the electric power steering fails. The problem first occurred while driving around a sharp curve which almost lead to an accident. I'm not sure how often this occurs as it is random. However, I can say that I have not yet been able to drive for more than an hour without it giving out. Also, when you turn the car off and restart it, the power steering will come back on. But like I said before it is completely random as to how long it will remain on. There have been times when it would work for an hour after restarting it, to less than a minute after restarting it. I would like something to be done about this, because it is such a hazard and could take lives. I believe that the price for fixing a problem like this is over 1000 dollars without warranty. This is something that I am not ok with.

- Howard City , MI, USA

Dec 242009

The power steering on my 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt failed two days ago while driving the vehicle.

- Canon City, CO, USA

Sep 182009

Power steering locks while driving on interstate while snowing why is this happening to alot od Chevy Cobalt consumers"?" this needs to be inspected..

- El Paso , TX, USA

Dec 222009

While driving the car on the freeway, the power steering quit working. This made the car extremely difficult to steer, and could have caused an accident. When I got home I shut off the car, and came back later and the power steering was working again. I took the car to the dealer the next day and they told me the power steering assist motor was bad. I had the part replaced at a cost of $450.

- Warren, MI, USA

Dec 232009

I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and while driving down I-26 my power steering alarm came on, and I no longer had power steering. I got the car off the highway and called the dealer. They told me that the entire steering column has to be replaced.

- Charleston , SC, USA

Dec 232009

My wife was driving to pick me up from work. When the car ding and the power steering message flashed across the dash. Then when she tried to make the turn she realized that she couldn't move the steering wheel. The vehicle only has 58,000 miles. She turned the car off and it worked for a minute then it went out again when another turn was made. Luckily she wasn't in really bad traffic but something. This is a big problem for a lot of people and needs to be looked into before someone gets into an accident which could have been prevented.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 102009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving the power steering will fail. She has to restart the vehicle to reset the error code. The dealer has not been contacted. The failure mileage 50,000. The VIN number was unavailable.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 152008

While driving the power steering stops working intermittently.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 172009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 45 mph the "power steering" warning light illuminated on the instrument panel, and then there was a loss of power steering. He was able to pull to the side of the road and turn off the engine. The failure and current mileages were 56,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 012009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving a span of 45 miles, the electronic power steering failed at least 15 times. He had to utilize extreme force to navigate the vehicle. The failure would occur intermittently. On a separate occasion, while attempting to pull out of a parking space, the steering failed three times. There were no recalls pertaining to the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The current was 93,500.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Dec 192009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 30 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering failed. He was able to pull to the side of the road and restart the vehicle. The failure mileage was 67,000. The current mileage was 67,150.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Nov 032009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 30 mph the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering failed. The dealer has not been contacted about this failure. No repairs have been made. This failure has occurred approximately 10 times. After inspection a mechanic concluded that the power steering failed. The failure mileage was 45000. The current mileage was 45200.

- Beala Air Force Base, CA, USA

Dec 192009

The contact a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph and making left and right turns, the power steering failed. The dealer confirmed that there are no related warranties and that she would have to pay for the repairs. The manufacturer will be notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Somerville, TX, USA

Dec 202009

Purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt in August 2008 by early spring of 2009 I was driving to work when suddenly I heard a beeping noise and on the screen it said power steering I had no control over the steering I am a very small 100 pound girl and had to use all my strength to pull my car over to the side of the road and call for help. I immediately took the car to a GM dealer who then told me this is a very common problem with the Cobalt and that it would cost me over 800 to fix and that it is not covered under warranty. I could not afford to pay them that amount of money after just purchasing the vehicle and being a student in school. I then found a mechanic that put the part in for a cheaper price but still ended up costing me $450. I was relieved to have the problem fixed when I was driving my car today not even 6 months later on the highway when I heard the same beeping noise and on my screen it came up power steering!!!!!!!!!!!! this time I could not safely pull over to the side of the road I had to keep driving to the nearest exit and myself and my girlfriend used all of our strength just to turn the wheel to get off the highway exit...this is very dangerous and very costly I purchased this vehicle in hopes to be able to drive a fair distance back and forth to school without having to worry about safety problems such as this. Im afraid this is going to continue T happen every 6 months and one of these times im not going to be able to stop safely. If I hadn't had my friend in the car I never would have been able to turn the wheel it is almost impossible for a small girl my size. Now that it is winter im worried about this happening in snow and ice I will have no control over my vehicle im very concerned for myself and the safety of all others..I have been researching this problem online and seen hundreds of similar situations. If I had of known this I would have never purchased this vehicle.

- Fort Erie, 00, USA