CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

Feb 202010

Cobalt

Car has lost all power twice while in motion. Second time had car towed to local dealer and they had a new program downloaded to the computer which controls the car function. Said it was a sensor mis-reading the car and had to have the software rebooted. This is totally unsafe for a moving car. Also experiencing problems with key ignition lock not releasing the key- diagnosed as a problem with the gear shifter. Many people having these problems. These are both issues the GM should own up to.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Mar 262010

Cobalt

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Well to begin, I initially had an issue with my shift column, which I researched and found out it was a common issue with this vehicle. It would cause my key to get stuck in the ignition. I took it to the delearship and they replace the whole column. Then a a couple of week later, my vehicle was accelerating really fun, I just blew it off for a moment, until I then tried to put my car in reverse one day, and it would not go anywhere. I took it to the delearship and they told me my transmission is slipping, at 86,000 miles. The dealearship has my car, and is trying to figure out if it's even worth fixing. Im also wondering if this problem could have been caught the intial time they fixed the vehicle, and figured it was my shifting column, because even with my transmission slipping, it also affected the shifting column. One other problem I have had with the vehicle is the air bag sensor, I have not got this fixed yet, because the dealearship wants to charge $99 just to see exactly what's causing my airbag sensor to not come on, when I have passengers with me.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 202010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Yesterday 03/20/10 on Saturday night at 11:30pm to 11:40 pm my vehicle Cobalt at close to 40 km/hr speed stop working. Like ignition off. All gauges goes to off condition like vehicle is moving without engine running.outside temp.-1degree C. I placed emergency lights on and put in parking mode then I restart my car again and it starts. This is happened second time. I took to dealer last month but there was no code. I complained to GM earlier also. They told me take to dealer when it happen and in running condition. But on Saturday at 11:30 pm on night which dealer service station is open? I have 4 times earlier sudden acceleration problem in the same vehicle also. Pl do something before it met with accident.

- Brampton, 00, USA

Mar 122010

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer states steering and front end problems. The consumer stated the vehicle has been to the repair shop 3 times for front end problems. The coil pack and module had to be replaced. The shift lever failed and would not release the key when the engine was turned off.

- Greenville, PA, USA

Oct 252008

Cobalt 4-cyl

Feb. 28, 2010 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls sedan 4 cylinder 4 door automatic transmission I purchased the 2006 Chevy Cobalt brand new from a Chevy dealer. I fully maintained and serviced the vehicle as required and when necessary. On October 25, 2008 I was driving the 2006 Chevy Cobalt and I was driving onto the cross county parkway heading eastbound when the vehicles steering system failed thus causing me to lose control of the vehicle thus crashing the vehicle onto the parkways guardrail. I was very shaken, the vehicle sustained serious damage, and the county police was called to the scene. A police report was filed soon thereafter. The 2006 Chevy Cobalt had to be towed off the parkway and back to my home. GM should really investigate the Chevy Cobalt for steering system failure.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 282006

Cobalt

1. the instrument panel gauges continue to move after vehicle is shut off. Occurs daily and has done so since purchase of vehicle 2/2006. Dealership replaced engine computer twice while vehicle under warranty but only after I personally contacted GM. 2. while driving car the steering wheel and car pulls to the left. Dealership states they can not reproduce this condition yet other family members who have driven the car have had this happen to them. Saw on news broadcast a possible recall for this. 3. ignition in steering column will not turn on. Ignition replaced 4-5 times by dealership. 4. gear shifter sticks or will not go into gear. Replaced while under warranty and under service bulletin numerous times. 5. while trying to start car starter or something drags. Has done this since purchase of vehicle. Dealership claims they can not reproduce condition.

- Mount Pleasant, MI, USA

Dec 272009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph on normal road conditions. Suddenly, the engine and traction control warning light indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicators remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- West Valley, UT, USA

Feb 152006

Cobalt

I was driving in the freeway and the power steering was not responding for a moment so I was so scared a thought I was going to cause an accident so I stop for a while and it was working again but when I got home I tried to parked my car and the same problem happened I don't know what to do my dad check the car to put some fluid on the power steering but we found that the system is electric, today could be really dangerous not only for me but others that were driving close to me in the freeway.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Feb 052010

Cobalt

I was driving home on February 05, 2010 when my steering wheel locked up and I did not have control of the vehicle. I was coming to a stop fortunately when this happened. This is the first time I have experienced this situation. A friend told me Chevy Cobalt have been recalled and I began my search online and have found numerous complaints regarding this issue. Several months ago, my fuel pump module had a small crack in it disbursing gasoline. The mechanic who worked on it said he had never seen anything such as this before. Im lucky I was not driving at a high speed or around a corner when my steering wheel locked up or my car didn't explode into flames from the gasoline disbursing throughout my car when I had to replace my fuel pump. Power steering and fuel pumps should not require regular maintenance. Chevy barely acknowledges the problem and say its not big deal, try your best to control your car when your power steering goes out. I've heard this becomes a regular occurrence after the first time.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Sep 262009

Electric power steering.

- Bryan, TX, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt with 39K miles. My steering wheel shakes when driving, it is sometimes hard to turn, the radio turns on and off, and the check engine light & air bag light are on. I took the car to the dealership and they said nothing is wrong with the car. They got the lights to turn off. My warranty is now expired and the same lights came on again.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 142008

Cobalt

My power steering tends to go out while driving. Traction control light comes on. The shifter clicks. My speedometer and rmps go nuts. My ABS and brake light flash. The car stalls when I stop in traffic or at lights. They reprogrammed the computer chip three times and replaced the part once. I now am having the problem again and they said its not their problem.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Jan 172010

Cobalt

In my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss with 82,000 miles the electric power steering will appear on the dash and then my steering completely goes. This has happened atleast 20 times this week and is getting worse. I brought it in to a garage that said they did an analysis and nothing is wrong. There is obviously a problem. When this occurs I need to turn my car off and then on but the steering will go again in time. This is dangerous.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Jan 172010

Cobalt

While driving my car 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss will automatically loose power steering. This has happened about 20 times in the last 6days. I need to turn the car off and then back on in order for my electric power steering to work again for the time being until it goes again. I have brought it in to get looked at and they did an analysis report stating there is nothing wrong. Obviously there is a problem when my electric power steering randomly goes while I am driving this is dangerous! I have read many other complaints against this car doing the same thing. Something needs to be done.

- Ridgefield , CT, USA

Dec 272009

Cobalt

I can't remove the key from the ignition. Some of interior electrical remain on which drains the battery.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Dec 132009

Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt - key frequently gets stuck in ignition and power steering has begun to fail.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 162009

Cobalt

Key will not come out of the ignition on a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt.

- Covington, LA, USA

Sep 012009

Cobalt

I bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt about six months ago. Three months after I bought it the power steering began to go out. It does not take power steering fluid there is a ps motor in the steering column. Everyt time I drive my car it goes out, it is not just every once and a while. When I restart my car the power steering will come back on. But within 100 yards it will go out again. The first time it went out I was going around a sharp curve and I nearly lost control of the car. The car behind me had to slam on there breaks because I started to fishtail. This is a major safety issue for me and other drivers and something really needs to be done about it. There is page after page of people who have the same problem. It seems to me that with so many people having this problem that there would be a recall on it. Obviously something was done wrong. It is dangerous and basically every time I get into my car I am risking my life. Its not worth it and you guys being a safety administration should really look into it.

- Bloomfield, KY, USA

Dec 102008

Cobalt

The Chevy Cobalt 2006's power steering went out and key was stuck in the ignition. The entire gear shift was replaced to get the key out the ignition. The battery was unplugged to reset computer chip for power steering but the problem still continues. While driving the car has shut off, the needles for the fuel and speedometer continually jumps and the car jerks back and forth while continuing not to have power steering.

- Markham, IL, USA

Sep 052009

Cobalt

1. my wife and I purchased a 2006 vehicle for my 20 year old daughter roughly a year ago. Everything was fine for the first 9 months. After that one day when my daughter was driving the vehicle it began to shake and the power steering light began to flash and she had no control over the vehicle, she had to pull over, turn off the vehicle and restart it and the car was fine until she got home. Everytime you drive the car literally every 2 miles you have to pull over and turn the car off and start it again, it is extremely dangerous and a hassle. We took the car to the dealership and they said because we didn't purchase a warranty it would cost 2,000 dollars to fix. Due to the poor economy we cannot afford to fix the car, but yet we put down 3,000 on the vehicle and we continue to be stuck with 350 car payments every month for a vehicle we cannot even drive. Something needs to be done about this car, we are extremely worried about anyone that has one of these cars. The car is not worth the money we are spending on it. We have no idea what to do about the situation and we are in a horrible position.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA