Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Jul 132015

Strong gas smell. There are recalls on fuel pump and parts in other states but not in. This should be on all Cobalts that have this problem. Indiana lives are important too! this is very dangerous and expensive to fix. I have seen many complaints due to this issue online. Why don't you step up and fix you mistakes GM?

- Mitchell, IN, USA

May 012015

I noticed a very bad fuel leak from under my vehicle back in the beginning of May 2015. I kept my vehicle parked until I could get the problem fixed. The middle of may I jacked up my vehicle to see where the leak was, I noticed it was coming from two of my fuel lines that run the length of my vehicle, the leak was in the same spot on both lines, in a bent part of the lines held up by a clip. I took my vehicle to a mechanic shop on July 23 to get a price and to get it fixed. I didn't have as much as it cost to get fixed. But the owner of the shop didn't want me to drive off in my vehicle, he said the it was way to dangerous and could catch fire. The reason for my complaint, I called the GM dealership to get a price on the fuel lines. The guy I spoke with told me this wasn't a new problem, he said several people has been there with the same problem. I asked to check for any recalls, he said there wasn't yet. Like there was going to be. He told me not to drive my vehicle because it was extremely dangerous until it was fixed.

- Beech Grove , IN, USA

Jun 292015

Strong gasoline fumes; now I'm told it is a cracked piece on the fuel pump assembly just as described in GM recall no. 090226. $750 to replace; and it is apparently yet another known problem with this vehicle.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Jul 012015

Bad smell of gas coming from my vehicle my family mechanic took a look and noticed a leak coming from the top of my fuel pump. Saw recalls on the fuel pump for models in 2006 and 2007 my vehicle should be on that list and added to this recall. The vehicle is a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt ls sedan 2.2 4cyl. Thank you

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed a strong fuel odor and fuel leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in any recall regarding the fuel system. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- New Plymouth, ID, USA

Jul 172014

I have had two of these models in our shop and both being 2006 models. The fuel lines are rusting out at the support clamp near the frame on the drivers side. This location is about 4 inches from the exhaust. Fuel sprays on to exhaust and vaporizes. This allows fumes to enter the interior of vehicle. Fumes are dangerous and causing driver to become weak and drowsy. The potential for accident is higher then that of a politician actually doing their job.... please investigate this.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was an odor of fuel present inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact discovered fuel leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Jun 042015

I noticed the smell of gas, and my car hesitating to start. I took it to a local shop to get looked at and they told me that the fuel pump was cracked and leaking.

- Davison, MI, USA

Dec 092014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The power steering was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact previously noticed a fuel odor and fuel leaking underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump modulator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Fall River, MA, USA

May 112015

Fuel started leaking from top of fuel tank only when running. I understand there was recall on other models registered in Florida and Nevada why not New Jersey?

- Millville , NJ, USA

Apr 102015

After starting vehicle and driving approximately 5 miles, driver noticed a strong fuel smell coming from bottom of car. A puddle of fuel was noticed underneath driver's side of car about halfway between driver's side door and rear wheel. Fuel noticed to be leaking from fuel line.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Mar 042015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an oil change and the mechanic discovered that there was fuel leaking near the exhaust system. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 114,694.

- Mclean, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I live in buffalo, NY so this is more of a problem than not. During the cold months went he temperature goes below 20 degrees the car fails to start. I have replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, intake, mass air flow sensor, and battery. I will be trying the crankshaft position sensor next. The car will crank strong, and continue to crank for several minutes. It will then stop, and begin to crank again when the key is again turned. However the car never turns over. The only thing I can imagine is that something is communicating with the ECM or ECU, not to start. This only occurs when it is very cold out as I purchased the car in late September, therefore I have to experience with the vehicle in warm temperatures.

- Tonawanda , NY, USA

Feb 122015

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel pump is leaking fuel looking up recall on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt and found they accept recalls for the fuel pump modular leaking fuel but not accepted in my state of ks my VIN number falls inbetween the numbers are being recalled the smell of fuel is overwhelming and I cannot afford to fix this issue.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 162015

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have been having an issue with a strong fuel smell and witnessed a large puddle of gas leaking under the car. Looking under the car I found corroded fuel lines on a plastic chassis bracket. Since the lines come from the pump running forward under the passenger side, this is a real fire hazard. The fuel lines are only a few inches from the exhaust pipe. Upon ignition this could ignite a fire. Several online complaints have been made to recall forums mentioning the same issue with the Cobalt the passed their has been a recall, but only for the fuel pump, not including the fuel lines. Also, many including myself have went to the Chevrolet deal to get this problem solved. The problem is that they refuse to fix any unless I pay $600 or more for the fuel lines.the fuel lines are not even included into any warranty, yet the fuel pump is. Since there has been a major issue with this life threatening issue, the materials are obviously problematic and need to be recalled or revised.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 302014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a serious leak in my fuel tank. The location of this leak is on the passenger side near the rear tire. The fumes are so strong it can be smelled over 50ft away from the vehicle. I have literally had gas leak onto a friends hand when they leaned down to check for a leak. I myself am a 24 year old female, my passengers on a daily basis include a 24 year old male, and two children one of which is my four year old son and a five year old girl! this is extremely dangerous and members of our families as well as friends are extremely concerned for our safety! I am extremely concerned for our safety as well! you have a previous recall for the year make and model of my vehicle but only limited to a few specific states! this is a serious problem, I have read reports of many others having the same issues as me with this car. Something needs to be done and it needs to happen before something horrific happens to someone who is either in or near these vehicles!

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Jun 162008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 25 mph, fuel fumes were present in and around the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact observed a fuel leakage. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Marietta , GA, USA

Dec 292014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving the vehicle, the contact detected a strong fuel odor. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in a manufacturer recall. The approximate failure mileage was 132,525.

- Cazanovia, NY, USA

Nov 142014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 55 mph, an alarm sound was heard, the check engine indicator illuminated, and the fuel gauge lever moved to empty. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Wartrace, TN, USA

Nov 092014

Our 2006 Chevy Cobalt VIN was took in for repair in Nov 2013, we were told we needed a starter but never why, it was because there was a gas leak, we found out in Aug 2014 when it caught on fire. Again Oct 2014 the auto did the same thing we were told the rest of the recall parts were in and to bring it in, all the time we were driving a unsafe car nd was never told. We took the car in Nov 2014 with only the battery light on a new battery (less than 48 hrs old and the 3rd one in a year). When got the car back the engine light was on, the power steering light was on and the T/C lights were on the speed odometer nor gas hand works, nor A/C and heat, but they replaced the fuse when we took it back. The car will not change gears and is really loud. They has us to bring it back and did not again do a diagnostic test just say in his opinion the auto needs a new power steering monitor (power steering after recall replacement went out, drives sluggish like it is going to stop in traffic like it did before the recalls but worse. It is as loud as a 5th wheeler truck, therefore it is hard to heard emergency vehicles. None of these safety matter or issues were occurring before the recall parts were put on. The car would stop but would start up and drive however it had none of the problems. The auto we are told if we drive less than 15 mph will be uncontrollable. We cannot control the speed now therefore it now drives at the sluggish gear. We are seniors and are afraid of the car. We did not know the danger of recall because the cards only stated the name of the part. The car as I previously stated would drive but in no way has these problems. The starter put on last year is am example of the safety issues that are hidden from us they replaced the starter we paid for it and never told us it was cause by a recall gas leak until it happen again in Aug 2013. I submitted a complaint this time and the last time and they are not interested in recall issues.

- Sacramento, CA, USA