Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Sep 172016

Leaking fuel from drivers side in front of rear tire. Apparently related to the issue that results in recalls if your car is from certain states which makes no sense at all. It is an obvious problem related to safety on all cars of this year and model number. Somehow if you live or bought the car in certain states your safety is not important. The cars all use the same parts! the smell of fuel has been for some time. I just found it dripping fuel today. Leaks whether moving or parked.

- Valaraiso, IN, USA

Jun 012012

Fuel smell while driving and parked, fuel on ground under car

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 182016

Leaking gas spots on ground. Vehicle cabin smells of gas and the issue is getting worse by the day. Fear of vehicle fire. Seems to be same issue as listed in bulletin no.: 09226.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Aug 272016

Hi, like many complains my Chevy Cobalt has been smelling like gas everytime I drive it. I'm really concerned, I went online and found that there has been a recall/special coverage on certain VIN numbers. However, I called the local GM and was told that this defect is not covered by a recall. I then went online and found this article in which says that all VIN numbers should be included, what can I do so that GM fixes this ? can I get a special case number to have this done, GM won't give me one. I'm terribly scared to drive my car, yet I have to commute to college everyday. Please help!

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Aug 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While operating the vehicle, the odor of fuel was present inside and outside the vehicle. While inspecting the vehicle, it was discovered that the fuel pump module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Jun 062016

There have been many recalls on my model and year of car (2006 Chevy Cobalt). The most current issue I am having is a gas leak near the tank (rear passenger side). For some reason, the dealership is telling me that my particular car, based on where it is registered is not covered in the recall. I live in Kansas, I bought the car in Oklahoma. Oklahoma-registered vehicles are covered, Kansas-registered vehicles are not currently. This needs to change and quick before my car explodes.

- Perry, KS, USA

Aug 012016

Fuel leak from gas lines at fuel pump and gas tank

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Jun 102016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was strong fuel odor emitted from the vehicle. A puddle of fuel was discovered under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The contact had a rebuilt title and the dealer would not acknowledge the special coverage from the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 205,000.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Jun 082016

I kept smelling a very strong gas odor and saw gas drops under my car. When driving, car would feel shaky like it wanted to stall and when I stopped at a light or stop sign, the car would shake very hard and then it would actually stall. It started out as a leaky fuel line but turned into both fuel lines snapping off the fuel pump. I had it repaired in June, 2016. There is a "silent recall" on this part, but not for Michigan cars (why not Michigan cars.. this is a very dangerous problem.. the stalling issue and the fire issue). Although this "silent recall" or the "special warranty" GM issued to cover this part does not expire, the time to get reimbursed expired in 2014, which makes no sense. My car didn't break until 2016, how was I supposed to file a claim 2 years prior to it breaking?

- Berkley, MI, USA

Jul 012016

I was driving and I pulled over to a very strong gas smell.... I walked around my car, tightened my gas cap. Even replaced. And now fuel is pouring out on my drivers side through one of the lines. Not covered under a recall for my vehicle. But is very hazardous to drive with.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Jan 212016

Leaking fuel.. extremely strong fuel smell. Happens whether in motion or while driving

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Jun 252016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a strong odor of fuel from the exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 122015

Takata recall. My car has a very bad smell of gas inside and outside. It just be fixed. I have read many things about this. It's called a silent recall. I need it fixed or I will go find me a lawyer.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Mar 172016

My fuel tank is leaking gas around the top where the supply/return port is located for the fuel pump. Note this is a 2006 Cobalt that was not covered under the referenced recall. Recall number 12V459000 recall date 09/19/2012 component fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump summary General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2007 Chevrolet equinox and Pontiac torrent vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Texas; model year 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, and Saturn ion vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, or Texas; model year 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona; and model year 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Oklahoma, or Texas. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module may crack, which could cause a fuel leak. Consequence fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire. What owners should do GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on, or about, November 12, 2012. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.

- Akron, OH, USA

May 032016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 50 mph, a strong odor of fuel entered the vehicle. The contact coasted the vehicle over to the side of the road and noticed fuel leaking from the bottom of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- Porterville, CA, USA

Apr 052016

Fuel line leak

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 072016

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving and smelled gasoline. I parked and found it dripping from under the car. Took it to a Firestone auto repair and they showed me that the fuel lines were rusted through. They told me that this was happening to a lot of GM cars and trucks. A web search confirmed this to be true. I believe that fuel lines should not rust and leak gas on a car with only 96,000 miles on it. The cost for this repair is $992. I believe this is a hazardous and life threatening problem and General Motors should pay to have it repaired by a national recall. Thank you.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Mar 062016

Gas smell omitting from under the body into the car. Car is stationary the majority of the time, unless on my way to work. Usually taking city streets to work. Car is parked at home in the garage.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Sep 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at 30 mph, there was an odor of fuel emitted into the vehicle. The contact coasted over to the side of the road and noticed fuel leaking under the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump line was cracked and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,788.

- Hays, KS, USA

Feb 222016

We have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt with 81000 miles. This vehicle belonged to my father who in turn saved it for my son. The problem that I'm having is that we saved this vehicle so that it would be a good starter car for my son but we have since found out that it is unsafe. We took the car to a local auto repair shop for some work to be done on the car for the front struts to find out that it has a gas leak. Unknown as to how long the leak have been going on. Once finding that information out we took the vehicle to the Chevrolet dealer to see about a recall on the car. Turns out that there is a recall #090226 for the leak but for the fuel pump but not for the fuel line. I was told by the Chevy service department tech that it is unknown how the problem may have occured other than being outside or what type of landing the vehicle was parked on. I've had 3 different vehicles & never had a fuel line leakage problem let alone having any type of problem with my vehicle by being outside or being parked on the street. Now if the fuel line & fuel pump work hand in hand why woundn't the fuel line be apart of this recall. As a customer, I do believe that if they had to replace the fuel pump then they would replace the fuel line in order for the parts to work properly. This is a major concern for me because customers would be riding around with a major hazard & wouldn't even know it until they were in an accident that may result in being fatal. There is no reason why this company would recall only 1 part of the issue & not the entire issue. Just another way of dismissing the safety issues with their vehicles that this company has incurred over the years.

- Baltimore, MD, USA