Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Apr 012015

Cobalt 4-cyl

Cpsc: I1540015A. 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer stated the rusted fuel line leaked and caused an explosion hazard.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 012015

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to gas module had to be replaced, shortly after purchasing the vehicle. The consumer stated the gas module failed again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 252014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Customer got car fixed because of gas leak but consumer paid for parts and labor and wants money back. After having the lower control arm replaced, it was noted on the invoice, the vehicle had a gas leak. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, where the gas line had to be ordered, because it had rusted. The consumer stated after waiting weeks, the parts still had not arrived.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Feb 072015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The fuel line is leaking as specified in the recall of certain VIN specific Cobalts. Yet, I have noticed a number of other people having the same problem that, like my Cobalt, were not included in the VIN specific recall...updated 02/24/15 updated 4/5/16/2016

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Dec 092014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel leak. There is a recall in other states but not pennyslvania. I feel I should be able to have this fixed at no charge.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Aug 222014

Car leaks gas, no hole in tank. Saw report about recall for this but my dealership in Arizona has stated my vehicle does not qualify. I am confused if there is a recall for this problem how does my vehicle not qualify. This is a hazard that could effect the life of me and my family.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

At approximately 7:47am cst on August 7th 2014, I was making a right hand turn when the engine and all electrical components died. I was able to restart the car and safely drive, with no check engine lights/other dash warnings, approximately half a mile back home. There was no warning on the dash (ie check engine light) before the massive failure occurred; it was instantly dead. This fits the characterization of the ignition switch failure in the affected GM models. I was one turn from merging on the freeway. Had this incident occurred a minute later, the potential for severe injury/loss of life was great. I have been waiting on a list since April to get the defected ignition switch repaired. I have called several times for updates, and have been told up to 800 people were ahead of me for repairs. When I reported this incident to GM via the ignition switch recall hotline, they suddenly found the parts needed to repair my car. This is suspect to me. They are also claiming that this incident was not ignition switch related, but the fact remains that this was a near-miss incident with potential catastrophic implications that fits all descriptions of ignition switch failures. I have followed the instructions by GM to drive with only the key in the ignition and to avoid bumpy roads, but this incidents has made me feel extremely unsafe to drive this car. GM is not treating this defect in the ignition switch as seriously as it needs to, as the possibility for severe injury/loss of light is great. There is no warning that power will be lost. I do not feel safe driving this car knowing that GM knew about this defect for over a decade and is insisting that cars with the defect are safe to drive.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Jul 222014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Was driving and began to smell gas and after looking noticed that there was gas leaking from the car.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jan 212011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and other vehicle problems and unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer stated the vehicle would not shut off for about 10 minutes after she switched the ignition to the off position and removed the key. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle suddenly ran out of gas. There was no warning. The very same day, she received a recall notice in the mail regarding an issue with the fuel pump. Also, the consumer discovered the batter exploded, when an odor began to come inside the vehicle. Also, the engine light illuminated, the ac and heat did not work, the dash lights worked occasionally, the transmission was slipping and the interior was falling apart. The vehicle overheated, the ac compressor failed. While driving on the highway, the vehicle stalled. Then something went wrong with the battery and toxic fumes from the battery in the trunk were being sucked into the vehicle. The consumer exited the vehicle, opened the trunk and hot battery acid was all over the place. Updated 09/08/14

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Jun 292014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I noticed a smell of gas when entering and exiting the vehicle. When I drive with the windows down I can still smell gas. Any time the vehicle is parked when looking under the car you can see and smell the gas dripping on the ground. Upon further inspection found the fuel pump seal to be leaking thus causing the fuel to leak on the ground. As I researched recalls I found out that there was a recall on the fuel pump in 2006 Chevy Cobalts but it was only for certain states. The GM recall number for this is 090226. Every thing that was said in this recall is exactly what is wrong with my vehicle. I do not feel that it is fair for me to have to pay for a mistake that was made.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Jul 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a fuel leaking from the vehicle. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The consumer stated on I April of 2014, he took the vehicle to have two recalls performed; the ignition and power steering, and he signed an estimated ticket stating only those two things would be done and he was quoted of a price of $218. However, when he returned to pay for the repairs, the consumer noticed the invoice had brake work and a fuel system clean out, among other items that were not requested or authorized. When the consumer drove off the lot, there was an odor an gas. A mechanic informed the consumer it was probably a bad fuel module. The mechanic informed the consumer, there was no way the dealer didn't know there was a fuel leak. Updated 07/30/14

- Palmbay, FL, USA

Apr 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The contact stated that she had contacted the dealer and the manufacturer numerous times and were uncertain of when the parts would be available for the repairs. The contact felt that the repair had exceeded a reasonable amount of time. Contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue.

- Athans, AL, USA

Aug 142007

Cobalt 4-cyl

Smelled gas and saw gas leaking from under car. Small fire started and put it out. Took car in. Steering wheel locked up fixed but never right. Now the ignition switch is being fixed but all the lights in the dash are lighted up due to this. No turn signals. Car is not right. Car has never been right!

- Lantana, FL, USA

Jan 252014

Cobalt 4-cyl

In January I have been having the fuel smell from my car. I've been doing research to try and figure out what it is when today, I stumbled across a recall that was issued first in Oct 2009 about the fuel system in certain Cobalts. I never received a notice about such a recall and my VIN # is one that is for the recall. But because of this "special coverage" I won't qualify for this recall because my car has over 120,000 miles on my car! so aggravating.

- Saint Jo, TX, USA

May 122014

Cobalt 4-cyl

This complaint is that the fuel pump recall for this car, with NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000, did not show up in the database visible to either my mechanic or a GM dealer. This is a life-threatening part failure, with significant amounts of gasoline leaking from the car, either while it is moving or stopped, and I was never notified of this issue. My car currently has this problem, leaking gasoline at quite a rapid rate. The fuel smell while driving is unbearable. Wherever I park a puddle of gasoline forms under the car. If I parked in a closed garage, this would be a terrible safety issue. It is for good reason that this recall was put in place. However, apparently this issue shows up in the GM system as a "special coverage" and not a recall. I found out about this issue online. I was searching because I was preparing to pay $833 for my mechanic to replace the fuel pump assembly. When I phoned the dealer, he said he had to get to "another screen" to see the special coverage items, and he only did that because I prompted him. Apparently they don't have a system in place to warn car owners of this issue even when the owner has their vehicle in for a recall (which mine was in the last two years). I have also never received a notice of this recall, and I've owned the car since January of 2007. After the recent press coverage of the recall of the ignition switch for this vehicle, I am shocked that this kind of a safety concern is essentially being hidden from public view.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 222014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I began to smell gas when driving. I parked in a store parking lot while the vehicle was running and continued to smell gas. I turned the car off, went into the store and when I came back out there was gas on the ground. There is a gas leak near the driver's side rear tire.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 172012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car stalls due to throttle position sensor defect. This happens when I come to a stop and the weather is cold. The choke gets stuck in either the open or the closed position. This has happened numerous times on numerous different occasions. I have been told by dealerships that this is a known problem which is why they keep the part in stock. However Chevy/GM has not issued a recall. This part is far to expensive for me to replace. I would consider this a hazard due to the vehicle stalling in mid traffic which could result in an accident. I can keep the vehicle running by having one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas and putting the car in neutral as I come to a stop. This too could result in causing an accident as two feet are not suppose to be used to drive.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Feb 162014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was stopped at a turn around East of garfield on 16 mile road in clinton township Michigan. Proceeded to complete turn and go West on 16 mile road when I felt my vehicle (2006 Chevrolet colbalt) had a loss of power. There was no response when I stepped on the gas pedal. The dashboard lights blinked. Then with in seconds I was struck by a vehicle in my passenger side rear, then I spun around and another vehicle hit me in the driver rear side. None of my air bags deployed. The clinton township police questioned the other two drivers who struck me but never questioned me to explain what happened. The first vehicle that hit me the man had a cut on his leg and refused medical treatment. The second vehicle that hit me the female was able to drive home. I was taken to the hospital by ems because my head, neck, back, hip and leg was hurting me. When I was in the hospital the police officer came up to me and gave me a ticket with two separate violations, and stated that I caused the accident. The officer never asked me what happened and when I tried to explain to him, he just said that's why its called an accident and left the hospital. My 2006 Chevy colbalt is totaled according to the insurance company. I found a NHTSA 14V047000 recall on the ignition switch failure on this NHTSA website. GM's recall number is 13454.I have record of 2 repairs to that same ignition by the dealership in 2006 and 2009. I believe that the faulty ignition caused me to loose power and acceleration thus causing the accident and injuries.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 172014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The seal where the fuel filler tube meets the gasoline tank is leaking. It is continuously wet in a circle about two inches around the tube. It is not dripping on the ground at this time, but looks as if it will within a short time. The fumes are very strong. I moved the car out of the garage to avoid an explosion hazard.

- Kalaheo, HI, USA

Dec 122013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Chevy Cobalt reeks of fuel. Happening for about a week and now notices a leak on drivers side near back tire. Car was originally bought in Virginia and resides in Maryland. Why isn't my state under recall"??"

- Middletown, MD, USA