2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems: power steering turns off intermittently

Power Steering Turns Off Intermittently

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

9.2

1. manufacturer needs to recall (10 reports)
  3. manufacturer has recalled..but no parts available (2 reports)
  4. manufacture issued recall...replace electronic steering swit (1 reports)
  5. new motor (1 reports)
  6. scrap the car (1 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 142010

Cobalt LS 2.4L

This Cobalt is the worst of cars...never again a GM for me... This was the first of 3 recalls that I have had to deal with since buying this car at 49820 miles..... It now has 120400 and I am waiting for the ignition switch recall.. The 2nd recall was the gasoline line at the top of the fuel tank failed allowing gasoline to sweep and then run over the top of the fuel tank and then along the exhaust system...... Took the dealer 2 tries to fix.....so yea...a lot of inconvenience and what do I get? Still a half put together bucket of bolts.....I keep wondering "WHATS NEXT?"

- , Pelzer, SC, USA

Sep 012010

Cobalt LS 2.2L

This was an extreme issue for me. Whenever I would move the steering wheel up and down, the power steering would go out, and my engine would rev uncontrollably, and I could not reach speed. When this would happen, I would pull over and turn my car off for a minute or so, so that I could call my handy father. From what I remember, it was better when I put my steering wheel back to where it was and turned my car back on. I believe the issue with the cars rev, was not fixed by the recall on the power steering. So, I feel as if it might be an electrical issue.

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Apr 282012

Cobalt

My son just bought this car 3 months ago for college. Recently he was driving the car and the power steering light came on and beeped and he lost his steering. This has happened around three times since then. I contacted the chevy dealer seeing that they did have recalls on this car so I thought maybe it was never fixed. They told me it was fixed 19000 miles ago and they arent responsible after the recall was done. I told them then the recall must not of worked and they set me up with an appointment telling me I will have to pay the diagnostic fee to find out if it is the same thing as they replaced. If it is I assume they are taking responsibility and refixing it. My problem is with all the complaints I have read online Chevy should take complete responsibility of this without question. I would advise the people who had there cars fixed and think that the car is safe again to rethink it because Chevy doesnt seem to be fixing the problem just masking it for awhile. My son owned a chevy cavilier before this car and we had nothing but problems with it also. We thought it was a fluke, now we know not to purchase chevys anymore.

- , Idamay, WV, USA

Jul 092011

Cobalt 2.2L

I just bought this car about two months ago. I'm driving it about two weeks ago and the power steering goes out. Of course it's Saturday afternoon and no dealerships are open to fix it. It takes them till Wednesday to fix the problem. Now two weeks later I go to start my car and the there's power steering!! WTF!!! Now I work two jobs and one of them is pizza delivery. No car-no work!! Now I'm scrambling to find a car to work tonight. looks like another $300 car rental because of course it's Saturday after noon and no dealerships are open again. I'm ready to set this car on fire because at least my insurance would get me a replacement car so I can go to work to pay for the stupid thing.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 252011

Cobalt LS

THIS IS GREAT. I FOUND WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS AND SAW OTHERS IN THE SAME SITUATION. THANK GOD FOR AUTOBEEF. I WILL MAKE SOME FLIERS AND TAKE THEM TO ALL THE AUTO PLACES I KNOW TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT A GREAT SITE THIS IS. AMEN

- , Elsmere, KY, USA

Dec 012010

Cobalt Coupe 2.4L

You could drive the car straight but you couldn't turn it, after enough complaints Gm finally fixed it. But it seems that not the only problems this car is having.

- , Centerville, TN, USA

Aug 252010

Cobalt LT 2.4L V6

I bought a 2006 chevy cobalt lt, which would be an awesome car if it wasn't for the part that almost killed me when the steering went completely off! Otherwise, I would say is the best car that i had but i may get rid of it or wait for a damn recall on this car which GM has not yet recalled. At least not that i know of! I think we should make a little bit of more noise with them, other ways sooner or later people are going to get injured really bad. GM!!! NEEDS to RECALL this issue as BEFORE more people have accidents with this car!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 132010

Cobalt

WTF GM! I hear about a recall and fear for this happening and a letter is sent out stating it has been recalled but not to go get it fixed until the parts have been shipped to dealerships and a letter sent out. Time goes by..a lot of time..and another letter saying it should be soon..more times goes by. It is now July and a letter is sent stating you should take the car in right away to a dealership for replacement. When I call the dealership, however, they have no parts and it will at least be another month or more before they even know when they can fix it. Meanwhile waiting and hoping this problem does not cause an accident. Recalls are pretty useless if you do not followup with actually fixing them GM!

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Sep 152009

Cobalt LS 3.2L

This car had the easiest most wonderful and easly turned steering. Now after car is on for a few minutes it locks up and you have to pull your shoulder out just to make a usually easy turn. Thinking of just letting them come get the car but paid too much into it just to let it go. Have looked on line and several others have done the same. Its time for a recall don't you think

- , Metropolis, IL, USA

Mar 032010

Cobalt LT 2.2L

I've been noticing issues with the steering since I bought it last month. It felt like if it need power steering fluid, come to find out it is electrical. Today I been noticing loud noises associated with the power steering when I change gears from reverse to drive and vise verse. The steering locks up after reverse to drive and continues to be extremely difficult to drive. When I put in reverse it gets all loose and makes a loud buzzing/ humming sound and shakes. Any ways when I am driving and making turns I'm like forcing the damn thing to turn and I'm a mom who is concerned for the safety of my small children. I just hope this gets recalled on my vehicle before it gets worse and causes harm or death to my family or someone else. It is a pain in the ass, but as long as it gets recalled quickly, then we all can get it fixed and be happy. This is a great car, so it's a shame we all have to go through this....at least we don't have the Toyotas....LOL!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 202009

Cobalt LS 4 cyl

My wife drives this car and we have 4 children. The power steering goes out while she is driving every day. This cost to much for me to fix especially if this is a problem that I haven't caused. This should be recalled and quickly before my wife has an accident like the other 1,100 people have already had and thats just the one reported. There are hundreds of thousands of people that have this same problem. I bought this car new and should not have to go through this.

- , Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt LT

was driving and power steering light came on . not realizing that the power steering is sealed ( like i have purchased a lexus) tried to locate the input to add power steering fluid no such luck. check with local mechanic and discovered this can only be fixed by dealer, which of course that means double or triple the price. and i cant afford. when the light comes on the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn, which could cause an accident possibly injuring someone or myself. this should be covered by the dealer due to the mass amount of complaints by other colbalt owners with same issues.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 152010

Cobalt LT

I'm driving down I-35 in Austin, TX traffic coming off the ramp to hit the Toll Road 45. As I'm exiting, I hear a noise.. like my seat belt isn't on or something. I look down under the speedometer and see the words "POWER STEERING" flash across the small digital screen. Now, I can't turn my steering wheel as I'm going over a 150 ft tall over pass! I have to pull with all of my strength the wheel to the right to prevent myself from running into the guardrail and potenially crashing through it only to plunge off the side. All of this I am doing while completely freaking out in the middle of rush hour traffic and wondering what the hell is going on with my car!!! Can you say, SCARY? Meanwhile, I am a college student, barely getting by with the part time job I have and over 10k in debt..

There's no way I can afford to pay the supposed $500 to fix this problem I didn't cause. Chevrolet needs to recall this problem immediately... before someone gets hurt or killed and comes after their ass.... I'm right there with ya guys. That's all I'm sayin.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 192010

Cobalt LS 2.4L

My 2006 Cobalt's power steering went of while I was in the middle of a curve. The steering wheel jerked a the same time I tried my hardest to correct it but ran into on coming traffic narrowly missing a head on colission and ended in the ditch. I have read where Chevy is having this problem...I don't have the money to fix it. And being a woman with little upper arm strength am having troubles steering it when it goes out.

Anyone know how many lives have to be put in harms way before they recall?? A mechanic said to remove the module and motor to make the car easier to steer as if it has no power steering. Can I do that? This issue is going to end up causing someone to die or get hurt seriously and when they do Chevy will have a law suit!!

- , Linden, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, the power steering goes out without warning. I see that several others of complained about this problem on the 2005 model, well it is happening on the 2006 model as well. The only difference is that there is no warning, it just goes out! It is dangerous and scary when it happens. You virtually have no control over your vehicle. My son is using my car and he has a 4 year old daughter and an infant. Frankly I am afraid for the safely of my son and grandchildren. The manufacuturer needs to step up and recall Chevy Cobalts and fix this problem free of charge for the owners. This problem has happened on SEVERAL occasions. We have friends who have the same model of car and have experienced the same problem. One of our friends has spent about $1,500 to date trying to get the issue addressed. She is still having problems.

- , Festus, MO, USA

Dec 012009

Cobalt LS 2.2L

I'VE REPLACED THE STEERING COLUMN AND GUESS, FIVE MINUTES LATER, THE SAME SYMPTOM OF NO STEER, HARD STEER OCCURS. THIS IS A SHAME. PIECE OF CRAP CHEVY. NEVER WITH OLDS, FORD, NISSAN, DAIHATSU, TOYOTA. $375.00 AND MORE COMING OUT OF MY REAR.BOYCOT I SAY. LET THE CHEVY PAY FOR ITS CRIME OF CUTTING CORNERS WITH PARTS. I KNOW NOTHING IS FERFECT, DO WE HAVE TO SACRIFICE OUR LIVES DRIVING OR STEERING WITHOUT KNOWING IF THE STEER WILL FAIL AROUND A CURV OR WHEN WE NEED TO SWERVE OUT OF DANGER AT A SECOND OF NOTICE? THE PRICE OF POLUTION CONTROL. I FEEL LIKE GIVING AWAY THIS CAR TO A SENATOR OR ANY ONE AT THE WHITE HOUSE.

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 072009

Cobalt

Having the same problem with the power steering, GM really needs to have a recall!

- , Mansfield, OH, USA

Oct 112009

Cobalt LT

Power Steering goes out while I'm driving down the road!!!!! I'm pretty sure that if I was turning at that instance I would get in a wreck because its so hard to steer. Some people aren't strong enough to handle that situation so Chevy is putting peoples lives in danger.

- , Carterville, MO, USA

Oct 162009

Cobalt LT

it is really annoying when i try to pull into parking spaces and i live kind of out in the country and have sharp corners that are a pain. I am pregnant and would hate to injury me or my baby because my steering randomly goes out and makes my car unreliable. My steering does come back after i shut off the engine,but shortly after that goes out again. I leave my house and go a few city blocks before it goes out. Plus the fix is exspensive and there should be a recall.

- , Chaseburg, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Cobalt

My young daughter drives a 2006 Cobalt LT. It was purchased used but she has only owed it for 2 years. The power steering has suddenly gone out on several occasions. When she turns the car off and restarts the power steering is fine. She's been very fortunate so far that this hasn't caused an accident. We've heard no word about a recall but I believe Chevrolet needs to do something. From what I hear the problem is very expensive to fix and then it doesn't remain fixed.

- , Campbellsville, KY, USA