Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 16 of 56)

Aug 012010

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt has been under repair for the faulty steering since I got it. I had it taken care of under recall, this weekend the steering totally locked up I did not have manual steering I had nothing and I was on an S turn when it happened. GM is reluctant to fix it again. I had this fixed twice under the recall and it is getting worse.

- Naples, ME, USA

Jul 282010

We encountered harding of the steering wheel when we tried to parallel park our 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The problem persisted and we are having steering problem.

- Murray, KY, USA

Jan 112010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while approaching a traffic light her power steering light came on. The power steering failed for approximately five minutes then the steering wheel began to function normally. The failure occurred approximately three times. The contact received the recall notice approximately six months ago for NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000, electric power assist system steering. She called the dealer several times and was informed that the parts were not available. The contact does not feel safe driving the vehicle with an existing safety recall. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000. The current mileage was approximately 34,000. Updated 10/05/10.

- Spence , IA, USA

Jul 112010

Electronic power steering suddenly went out while driving.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Feb 132010

Cobalt 4-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt has the air bag light on. I received a possible recall notice in February 2010 stating that there were problems with the steering. The letter stated that I would be receiving a letter stating were and when to take my car in for check up. It is July 2010 and I have not received any notice. I'm afraid that this defect will cause an accident. I called the Chevy dealer here in salinas ca, and they told me that they did not have the parts yet and that I should wait for that letter and my car could not be checked until then. Please help out it is very scary and I'm very concerned. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Feb 152010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 10 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn without warning. The contact had a recall repair performed for the power steering that was partially repaired. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that the entire steering column would possibly need to be replaced. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Oct 252009

I have a 06 Cobalt recalled for power steering. In October of 09 I started calling GM over my power steering going out. My car is under the powertrain warranty then and still is with just 50,000 miles. I called GM researched, and signed the petition for the recall and got nowhere but lies from them. I thought that maybe they could fix it under the warranty before the recall that they said they knew nothing about went into affect. They told me to get a diagnostic test which cost 100 dollars out of my pocket which I did. Still no result, now we have a recall 2 months after they told me that they would not fix my car. The thing that troubles me now is that there is another lie being told because the diagnostic test says that there is 2 things that should be fixed not just one, the cheapest one, the recall is only going to fix the motor. The column is also suppose to be fixed because the motor will not solve the problem altogether it is just a bandaid sort of thing. This is what the dealer told me that GM required before the recall. This is about a $1500 problem.why are they not going to fix all of it like they said it required before recall. It goes out when you get to 10 or 15 mph and stays out until car is shut off. They are lying about when it happens, it happens all the time who only drives 10mph impossible! I have been getting on the ramps on highways in a curve and it would go out, very dangerous very unsafe because it is extremely hard to turn steering wheel, it is very hard to keep car steered straight, not to mention trying to park or back up it is almost impossible and dangerous on hitting other vehicles that are close to you. I drive in fear every day with a new car, I have got neck and back problems now from this. I have a list of front end wear & tear damage from this being out for 10 months now. I have a 87 yr father who was a GM worker, who I take to appts in this car, which we both fear everytime we are in it. GM needs to fix both problems.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 032010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel locked which was difficult to turn. She will had to use extreme force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was not notified. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 122010

Having accident because power steering went off. The car was in shop (vara Chevrolet san antonio, tx)on April 28, 2010. Asking dealer to fixed it. Saying no parts. After 2-3 weeks got an accident, dealer still did not have parts. Took car to the shop. (benson Chevrolet san antonio tx) dealer called allstate without asking or informing us. They did not want to pay. Car is in the shop since May 13 2010 until today's date (June 27 2010) asking for rental car. Local dealer authorized it. After GMC Chevrolet found out we put a complaint on BBB cancel rental meantime the car is still in the shop. Due to the complaint. They knew the consequence why sent letter without no parts and now do not want pay for the repairs.the car is 2006 and it has 4 recalls. 1. fuel pump. 2. power steering not fixed on time. 3.power train: Automatic transmision.4.structure. Already had fuel pump and power steering defected.

- Elmendorf, TX, USA

Jun 252010

2006 Chevy Cobalt ls: Power steering failure, as well as tach & speedometer fluctuations. Transmission shifts rough. Engine light is on, as well as an icon that looks like a car with a lock on it. All this happened at one time...between the time I parked it after work (no problems), til I went out and started it again to go to the store.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

Jun 242006

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have owned my 2006 Chevy Cobalt since June 2006 and have had numerous problems out of this car. I have had to pay out of pocket for every repair because they seem to all happen before a recall is issued and the dealerships will not refund money on the repairs. 1) A/C leaks water in passenger side floor board. I have had it in the shop 3 times and it is still leaking. No one can figure out why the water is leaking into the car. 2) gas tank had to be replaced due to fuel lines cracking. 3) power steering went out while my husband was driving on the interstate and was about 130 miles from home. 4) the car would die if the RPM's got too low, this was caused by a carbon build up on the idler. 5) there is no way to check the transmission fluid and it is starting to slip and take forever to upshift. 6) the key gets stuck in the ignition and will not come out. 7) the drivers side door gets stuck and will not open. 8) the door latch sometimes messes up and the door does not close. 9) the stereo display and buttons no longer work. I can not use the cd player for fear of losing the cd for ever since the eject button doesn't work. I can not see the clock or what station the radio is on. The car lost its value so fast that even after 4 yrs of having it I still can not trade it in due to the amt. I still owe on it. So I am stuck driving this piece of crap until it is paid for. I have already invested several thousands of dollars into this car for these problems. I believe that the car is a lemon and I should be reimbursed for the car and all of the out of pocket repairs I have had to make.

- Gilmer, TX, USA

May 272010

Steering locks up.

- Independence, VA, USA

Jun 092010

Electric power steering stops working and "power steering " appears on the display. If the car is shut off and restarted the power steering will work again. This has happened more and more frequently since the first occurrence last week. It now happens 5-10 times per day on a 15 mile round trip commute. I called the dealer today and was told that the recall did not apply to my wife's car, it is scheduled for service on Friday June 18, 2010.

- North Brookfield, MA, USA

Jun 142010

My 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt ls 4 door sedan has the power steering go out quite frequently, two days ago my girlfriend was driving it and was stopped at a T-intersection. After making the stop she proceeded to make a left hand turn, at that time the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably and she ended up with all four tires jumping the curb. I do not know if the power steering went out at that particular moment, everything happened pretty quick. All I know is I have numerous concerns as to this cars road reliability.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 142010

Power steering went out.

- Cypress Inn, TN, USA

Dec 302009

Power steering failure in my car. Started Dec 2009 and failed every once in awhile and now it fails everytime I drive it.

- Mack, CO, USA

Nov 192009

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt loses variable assist power steering randomly. Requires great effort to turn when system fails. This problem was not a one-time event - it occurred several times before I could arrange repairs. The entire steering column and all power assist associated parts were replaced, as the dealer stated this would be the corrective action. Old parts were not retained, as I had the vehicle repaired by a reputable, ase certified shop. This car is used by my 17 year old daughter as a commuter car, school and such. This problem was repaired at my expense. Now, GM has issued a recall, but the very dealer that diagnosed the problem is telling me that this Cobalt is not in GM's recall database. Sure enough, I went online and checked and it isn't in there. This appears to be just one more attempt by GM to Dodge their ethical responsibility to correct serious defects in their vehicles or to reimburse owners that have repaired a defect that later becomes a recall issue. This is why americans don't buy american vehicles. They are poorly made and the manufacturer won't stand behind them when there is a serious problem.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jun 022010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle would make a chiming sound, followed by the illumination of the power steering warning light. The steering wheel would then become extremely hard to maneuver. The contact stated that the power steering would reset itself once the vehicle was shut off and back on. However, the failure would recur within a few traveled miles. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current was unknown.

- Millington, TN, USA

May 202010

Power steering on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt keeps going out, at any time.

- Chapel Hill, TN, USA

May 262010

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt ss and my wife was driving on a 100' high freeway and someone cut her off while they were merging into her lane she tried to swerve out of the way and she told me that when she tried to turn the wheel it was very hard to do so and then got extremely loose and caused her to over correct and then she hit the side concrete guard rail and then rolled and landed with the hovering about a 100' from her death. She was under the speed limit, wearing a seatbelt, air bags deployed and the police officer's were amazed that she didn't go over the edge. I have photos to provide.

- Houston, TX, USA