Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 19 of 56)

Jul 232009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While traveling at speeds of 30 mph, the power steering failed causing the steering wheel to become extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Mar 162010

Cobalt 4-cyl

The electronic power steering when out on my car several times almost getting me and my friend in to a accident. I was able to get my car home safely but had to drive with extreme caution. Turning was more then difficult. The power steering would come back when I turned the car back on but shortly after would turn off again. I tried to fix it but it was to no avail it just kept turning off. This of cores makes it to where I cant even get to work safely with out worrying about my steering going completely out.

- Medford, OR, USA

Mar 122010

I was driving and I was turning on a curb. I lost my power steering. I was going 50 mph. I went to take the car to the dealer and turned the car and once I restarted my car the power steering was back as if nothing happened. I was told by 2 dealer that my car is not on a recall list. And, that I needed to get the power steer motor replaced most likely.

- Landover Hills, MD, USA

Mar 092010

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt's power steering is not working. A few days ago the steering felt as if it were sticking. Going into a turn there would be no power steering and I would have to really torque the wheel, then, in the same turn it would suddenly come back on causing me to oversteer and swerve. Now it usually isn't working but occasionally does.

- Kingston, NH, USA

Mar 112010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway in denver Colorado when my power steering went complete out I had no control on the steering of the can I pumped my brakes to come to a complete stop. Should I have been driving the car during rush hour I could have been killed or killed someone else.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 122010

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer states steering and front end problems. The consumer stated the vehicle has been to the repair shop 3 times for front end problems. The coil pack and module had to be replaced. The shift lever failed and would not release the key when the engine was turned off.

- Greenville, PA, USA

Jun 172009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph. The power steering warning light illuminated on the dashboard with a loss of power steering. The vehicle was able to continue in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The failure was contributed to the steering column. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 91,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 022010

2006 Chevy Cobalt. The car started to rattle when driving couple days latter the steering wheel started to wobble from side to side. I took it to a automotive repair garage and had the look at the problem and was told by the garage that the rack & pinion steering assembly needed to be replaced. There was a lot of play in the steering assembly. The garage had me speak to the local Chevy dealer. The service department informed me that there has been major problems with the Cobalts steering and there is 1.3 million Chevy & Pontiac cars that have a steering issues but there is nothing they could do for me but buy a new assembly at $367 plus labor to correct the problem. GM might recall the problem. The steering has locked up on me today after the GM dealer said it was ok to drive. Thank god I was no going at a low speed. I hope that nobody gets killed. I have parked the car until I can have a new assembly installed by the repair garage. The assembly is a special order from a GM dealer. This also takes a toll on the tires and front end.

- Garden Grove , CA, USA

Nov 122008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 50 mph the vechile lost power and the engine shut off. When the vehicle shut off the steering wheel was very difficult to control. The power steering warning light illuminated when the failure occurred. After the vehicle lost power the contact was only able to drive to the dealer at 5 mph. The dealer was performing a diagnostic test and will let her know the results. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Mar 072010

I'm driving the car and randomly the power steering flashes on the screen and my power steering stops working. Turn the car off and back on and the issue goes away.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Mar 072010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the contact was driving 60mph she noticed that the power steering light had appeared on the dashboard, moments later the vehicle no longer had any power steering. The vehicle has been taken to the dealership on several different occasions where the contact was informed that the failure could not be reproduced or serviced. There were no prior warnings and the current and failure mileages were 33000.

- Clarendon Hills, IL, USA

Mar 132009

I own a Chevy Cobalt lt and the power steering goes off and its hard to control.

- Springdale , AR, USA

Dec 012009

Power steering stops working.

- Canton, OH, USA

Feb 032010

6 months ago the power steering on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt stop working. Car was over warranty & took it to ray price Chevy dealership, mt pocono pa. Charged me $907 to repair the power steering column and box (electric). Car did not appear to be handling as prior to failure & replacement. Took car back several times and svc mgr would not look at it. Said there was nothing he could do. I continued to use the car with slightly irregular power steering. On 2/3/2010 I was going to work on lightly snow covered rd which I have been driving for 26 yrs. I had the car in low gear and had snow tires on the car. I drove around downhill winding road and could not bring the car's steering back under control. I hit a few trees just missing an enbackment. I suffered minor injuries at the time & did not go to the hospital. I called the police. The car was not driveable and towed to D'amcio autobody shop, scotrun, pa. The body work took 28 days to complete. When I picked up the car on 3/2/2010, Mr. D'amico told me the power steering was not working correctly & the car was not safe to drive. Greg smith ins appriaser agreed with Mr. D'amico and said there was absolutely no internal damage to the car causing the power steering now to be broken. I heard seveal times on news that ge was recalling 2005 -2010 Chevy Cobalts due to power steering failure. I called ge corporate customer svc dept and they gave me a incident #. they called me and I called them several times and they did not know exactly when car would be checked. They said they had past my info on. When I asked to speak to someone it the dept that now had my incidient they would not give the name of person. I have no car to drive to work & ge will no offer a solution. Ge should take responsibility for all monies past & present related to power steering incidents and accident. Ge should loan me a used car from a dealership until they fix car & buy back car. I will never feel safe again in the car.

- Henryville, PA, USA

Feb 132010

I was in a motor vehicle collision on 2/13/10 due to loss of power steering. I have contacted Chevy and they are not accepting responsibility.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 042010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the contact was driving 35mph she noticed that the power steering light had appeared on the dashboard, moments later the vehicle no longer had power steering. The vehicle had not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 70000.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Sep 012009

Chevy Cobalt 2006. Power steering goes completely out and have no control of the wheel. This happens every time the car is moving.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Feb 142010

14-Feb-10 approx 69mi. Trip power steering failed and power steering light and chime showed on dash. 25- Feb-10 approx 74mi. Trip power steering failed an power steering light and chime showed on dash. 5-March-10 approx 200mi. 5hr trip power steering failed 6 times. Each time car was pulled over turned off then restarted and within 20 to 30 min power steering would fail.

- Tyrone, PA, USA

Feb 272010

2006 Cobalt steering wheel locked up only going at 25 mph. Causing it to hit an embankment and damaging the front end of the car.

- Mount Vernon, KY, USA

Feb 212010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 25 mph on normal road conditions there was a sudden loss of power steering. The driver was able to continued driving with caution. There was extreme difficulty turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The VIN was unavailable. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Greensburg, KY, USA