Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 24 of 56)

Sep 012009

On 9-1-09 I was driving my '06 Chevy Cobalt lt 4dr sdn on a city street traveling at approx. 25 miles per hour when the steering warning light came on and it became extremely difficult to control and steer the vehicle. I luckily managed to get it to the dealership who diagnosed the problem as an eps motor failure. They replaced the motor at a cost to me of over $400.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 152010

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph on normal road conditions when the power steering warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver backed into a parking space. The engine was turned off with the warning indicator illumination. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred intermittently and progressed. The vehicle will be taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 94,300. Updated 3/17/10 the dealer replaced the power steering motor. Updated 06/18/10.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Feb 012010

Power steering not working in 2006 Chevy Cobalt.

- Newport, TN, USA

Feb 172010

Power steering failure on my vehicle. I currently own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. At slow speeds my power steering feels as though it wants to go out, it is hard to steer my vehicle. I have had this car in the shop four different times for the steering column and other reasons. Overall my car has been in the shop over 25 times.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Feb 192010

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt which I purchased about two years ago. Love the car- however I've had an occurrence happen to me three times now with the power steering. The first occurrence happened when the car had approx 45,000 miles on it. I was driving down the highway (approx 55 mph) and the display on the dash in front of the steering wheel read "power steering" and the car began to lose power and jerk. I pulled over, made some calls, and turned the car back on. I drove to the nearest dealer (without any problems) and made an inquiry- we first checked for fluid however came to find that it is electronic and was told that if I continued to have problems to make an appointment to have the car scanned. I did not have any more problems until recently when we were driving on the highway again and the same thing happened. Only now the car has approx 80,000 miles on it. I have an appointment to get the car scanned however I felt it was necessary to file a complaint as it could have lead to a safety concern for passengers if an accident had occurred. This morning I adjusted the steering wheel height and again was presented with the "power steering" on the display screen proceeded by jerking and loss of power especially when driving at a lower speed (25 mph). I have done some online research and found that many other Cobalts have experienced similar incidents. I would suggest an investigation into the matter as well as a possible recall for such vehicles or parts before this could become a major safety issue for drivers. I would love to be able to continue to love my Chevy Cobalt, but do need to consider the safety of my passengers as well as myself. Thank you for your time.

- La Farge, WI, USA

Jan 012009

I have a 06 four door Chevy Cobalt. When I got it from the dealer it was in good condition, but 50,000 miles later the power steering has been acting up. While driving I get a message that I have no power steering, I have power steering at first, when it starts, but shortly after the power steering goes out. The power steering is also electric, and the miles I put on the car is freeway miles. No excessive steering wear and tear. It is quite a chore driving around town, with no power steering. This is supposed to be a luxury compact car which I enjoy but with no power steering, it makes want to hate to drive it, instead of loving to drive it once I got it. Because of the bad malfunction, if asked, I would not recommend this car.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 182010

2006 Cobalt power steering went out driving down the road with my 19 year old daughter driving.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 162010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle made a couple of loud sounds as if a bell was ringing and then the power steering failed. The vehicle was turned off and then back on in order for the power steering to function normally. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and on at every intersection in order to have the power steering work properly. The current mileage was 17898. The failure mileage was 17840.

- Fredricksburg, VA, USA

Nov 152009

I had a 2006 Cobalt that started having power steering problems shorting after reaching 36,000 miles. One time I was turning onto a road from a parking lot. The power steering went out and I could barely steer the car into the proper lane and avoid an accident as a car in the opposite lane was approaching. This is a dangerous engineering problem with Cobalt. I have not had any satisfactory reply from Chevrolet customer service on this problem. I believe, judging from many other complaints, that Chevrolet needs to issue a recall on this, or at least repair the problem at one cost to buyers. Thank you.

- Battle Ground, WA, USA

Oct 252009

Vehicle was making a slow turn into a parking lot when the power steering experienced a complete failure. There was no prior warning that this failure was about to occur. This was the only time the failure was experienced. Steering became difficult, but since the vehicle was traveling at a slow speed, the driver was able to maintain full control and safely park the vehicle. The vehicle was allowed to sit for several hours and then restarted and the power steering was again operational. The vehicle was taken to a dealership for service the next day. A power steering motor kit # 6.605 was installed on the vehicle to correct the problem. The old part was retained by the dealer.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Feb 152010

Power steering went out on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt, has just a little over 57,000 miles and from reading the reviews on line I am not the only one that has had this problem.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Feb 022010

About 2 weeks after purchasing a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt (or as of approx 2 weeks ago) the vehicle's power steering began to random shut off. The power steering is available every time the car is started but is always disable after 1-2 minutes down the road and stays that way until the car is turned off and restarted, although at that point it last 1-2 minutes again and so the cycle continues. The consequences as of yet are simply the bother and difficulty with 'winding roads' and parking lots. Due to experience with a similar car and minimal travel there have been no related accidents as of yet. The failure has yet to corrected due to various constraints.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Aug 272008

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt and unexpectedly the power steering fails. It makes it very hard to turn into a parking space or any kind of movement for that part at slow speeds. Unfortunately I hear the fix cost over 1000 dollars, money that I don't have on a fixed income. I bought the car used in the summer of 2007 and by the summer of 2008 the problem started to happen sporadically and then more often. It seems to happen more quickly and often when it is hot outside and I live in Texas which is normally hot most of the year. It is very annoying to have to turn my car off to get the power steering to work.

- Waco, TX, USA

Feb 042010

2006 Chevy Cobalt power steering failure, no certain time or situation approx. Once a week.

- Huntland, TN, USA

Nov 152009

Power steering system failure while driving. Restarting engine will restore power steering for a short time. The car alerts with warning chime sound and a dashboard message "power steering". this problem can happen every few minutes or, rarely, it may not happen at all during a short trip. This problem first happened in late 2009 on a very low mileage vehicle ( less than 9,300 miles to date).

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Mar 102009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt which was purchased used with 10,000 miles. She stated that in temperatures over 50 degrees, the power steering would fail approximately every 30 to 40 seconds while driving at various speeds as low as 5 mph and up. When it failed, she had to maneuver the vehicle onto the emergency lane, shut off the engine momentarily and allow the power steering to reset itself. The manufacturer was contacted and advised taking the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test; however, the closest dealer was over 100 miles away. She did not feel safe driving that distance since the failure began to occur frequently. The manufacturer advised the contact that they were closing her case until she took the vehicle into a dealer. No repairs were made to the vehicle. There were no recalls for the failure; however, there was an open investigation ( NHTSA action number PE10005; component :steering:electric power assist system). The failure mileage was 24,000 and the current mileage was 27,000.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Sep 222009

I hadn't had any problems with my car and then one day I was turning in a parking lot and the power steering went out. I got it into a parking stall and shut the car off, then proceeded to wait 10-15 minutes and started the car again, there were no problems until I started to dive again, it happened about 3 more times that day. It happened as I was driving the freeway coming into a curve in the road, in the parking lot as mentioned and pulling into my driveway. If I hadn't driven a car in the past with no power steering I would not have know or been able to steer the car safely. It could have been bad if I hadn't been able to control the car on the freeway. This has happened several more times since this first occurrence and every time it does happen it's not just once, it's several times that day then it will be weeks or longer without any problems. It is completely random and unsafe, you never know when it's going to happen and there is no warning. The "power steering" indicator comes up as it's going out.

- Santa Maria , CA, USA

Nov 282009

2006 Chevy Cobalt ls power steering seizing, not working. Only 40K miles on car, brought to GM dealer & was told that there was no warranty on power steering, had to have replacement steering column & motor at a cost of over 1000 dollars.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Feb 072010

2006 Chevy Cobalt power steering assist comes on every day after 5 min od driving U stop and shut the car off and start it up it comes back on 5min later...seems to happen at low and high speeds.

- Norwich, NY, USA

Dec 282009

Power steering failure on 2006 Cobalt power steering just quits.

- Mercer, PA, USA