Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 27 of 56)

Feb 032010

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt, near 58,000 miles, recently had the power steering go out on it. While driving, the power steering suddenly became tight and difficult to turn. I looked down and saw "power steering" displayed on the display. I was able to steer it home and immediately began my online research. I read that often times turning the car off and then back on will "reset" it. I went out and tried it and it worked. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 10 minutes before I got the message again and the power steering clicked off. Luckily there is a bit of a warning right before it goes out, you can hear a click and then 3 dings and then it locks up. It has been a week now since I first started having the issue and it has progressively gotten worse with each day of driving, going from lasting 10 minutes before failure, to lasting only 15-30 seconds. After the 3rd day I finally gave up on it and began driving my older much more reliable, dependable Chevy cavalier. Today I am taking the Cobalt to the dealership for repairs. I was quoted a price between $450-$600 to repair. I filed a complaint with GM as well. The mechanic at the dealership informed me that they were well aware of the issue and he sees at least one in per month with the same issue. This is not very safe and is obviously a major issue. I am lucky to be able to handle the car when the steering goes out, but what about those with disabilities or the ones who lack the upper body strength? this issue needs to be resolved with GM before they have a much more fatal issue on their hands. The Chevy Cobalt is by far the worse vehicle I have ever owned with all it's issues and I have lost complete faith in the Chevy name because of it.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 032010

I was driving home from work when I exited the freeway my power steering went out and did not come back until I turned off my car and restarted it. This problem has happened many times now sometimes 2 times while driving to work. It just recently started. It was cold and I had my heater on when it first started to happen.

- Pasadena , TX, USA

Jan 202010

I have an 2006 Cobalt & the power steering has went out it is very difficult for me to drive... when the car is turn off it goes away for a short time & comes right back... very concerned for my safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 262009

Electric power steering.

- Bryan, TX, USA

Feb 082010

During normal driving alert tone sounds, dic says "power steering" and power assist is lost. Vehicle becomes very difficult to control. If I pull over, turn engine off then restart, the problem clears up, however, it will re-occur within a few minutes. Problem happening with greater frequency during last two weeks, now happens every ten minutes or less. I drive mostly on city streets. Problem has occurred too many times to count in the past two weeks, at least 30 times in 5 hours of driving. Yesterday problem occurred 5 times in 15 minutes. Very dangerous.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Nov 102009

The power steering in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt gave out after three years of ownership without warning. Since it is an electronic power steering system, there was no warning, just a sudden total loss of power steering while I was driving. The vehicle became extremely difficult to turn and this created an extremely hazardous situation. I took the car to my mechanic and he replaced the power steering motor which then fixed the problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 292010

I had just turned on the on ramp to get O the highway and my power steering failed at 25 mph. I later took to dealer to have them check it out and they said I will need a new power steering column and electric motor. Dealer said it will be a $1100 fix. I think GM should pay for this, seeing how so many other Cobalt owners are complaining about this problem.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Aug 202008

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls coupe. I have a problem with the power steering, as do many other Cobalt onwers. The power steering motor will turn off unexpectedly while driving. I've never been in an accident or had any other serious problems with the car. This makes the car very difficult to drive while at low speeds.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Sep 012008

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt-power steering failure. I have no power steering in this car now. The electrical unit that powers the power steering has gone out-failed. I took the car to a Chevy dealership and was told it would cost at the very least $800 to fix. I cannot afford to have this repaired. My son uses this car daily (now with no power steering) to and from work and to school. His commute is 1 hour on the interstate one way. My son follows a website for Cobalt owners and tells me that almost all of the emails on the website are regarding the failure of the electrical unit for the power steering. We have also had to replace the fuel tank and fuel injectors on this car. Will there be any recall for the Chevy Cobalt? there should be!!!L

- Gretna, LA, USA

Sep 012006

I bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt brand new and immediatly questioned why the sterring wheel shook whenever I braked. I was told by the dealer and another independent mechanic that because the vehicle was a small plastic gas saver that it was to be expected. The shaking of the sterring wheel gets very severe when going downhill and in incidences of quick stops. I was so sure this car was an accident waiting to happen I did not allow my 17 year old driver to drive it. Now, I am hearing about other cevy Cobalts that have steering failure and I no longer accept the answers that I have received from the so called professionals. I hope the government will force GM into a recall before my steering fails and I find myself in the hospital because my steering has failed

- Stafford Springs, CT, USA

Aug 152009

I own a 2006 Cobalt which I leased new in 2006 and in the past 8 months I have had the power steering go on my car 4 times. All four times was during parking the vehicle. I have been teaching my 16 year old daughter how to parallell park and this is when the incidents happened. All of a sudden I could not steer the car and this would last up to 10 minutes and then it would start working properly when not turning the wheel so much. I was told there was nothing wrong with the car. Since this happened to me, I keep hearing about alot of other people with the same problem. This concerns me very much as the times it happened to me I was fortunate that I have not been in an accident or injured but there is no guarantees the next time I may be as fortunate. Also at times the steering makes creaking noises when taking sharp turns...this concerns me greatly and I do not feel safe drining this car anymore.

- Fredericton, 00, USA

Dec 162009

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt's electronic power steering goes out without warning making steering the car almost impossible creating a very dangerous situation. Great effort is needed to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees (this is not like driving an old car without power streering). Condition started at about 39000 miles and the car has about 40550 miles on it today. Problem occurs at various intervals but is becoming more frequent. The car must be stopped, engine shutdown, and car restarted to temporarily clear the condition. Situation has not been corrected as of 2/8/2010. Chevrolet customer service said a recall is pending (they allegedly are cooperating with nhsta at this time on a recall), but cannot commit to fixing their defect in my car. Internet research indicates repairs can be up to $2000 becuase individual repair parts can only be purchased as a large kit. I have begun discussions with local dealership trying to get Chevrolet to do the right thing and pay for the repair since it is a well documented defect currently being investigated by nhsta. This is a serious defect in the car's design that places the driver and other motorists on the road near the car when the power steering system goes out. This can happen at any speed at any time leaving the public at risk.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Jan 152007

2006 Chevy colbalt.power steering has went out on several times.

- Moorefield, WV, USA

Aug 032009

Power steering goes out when turning slowly

- Lothian, MD, USA

Feb 052010

The power steering in the Cobalt just fails. First time in the parking lot of a jewel with lots of people in the lot barely able to turn wheel to park. Turn car off and back on the power steering comes back on. 2nd time I was on the highway on a trip 1.5 hours into trip the power steering light came on and I had to drive off the road. Restarted the car and about 10 minutes into trip power steering went out and I drove without it for the remaining hour. One the return trip the power steering went out again on the highway after 1.0 hours of driving at a consistent speed.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Oct 082009

Please go to get to review all of the complaints by Chevy Cobalt owners. These cars are defective and dangerous, particularly the power steering issue. I have an '06 Cobalt and the electric power steering went out without warning suddenly at around 62,000 miles. GM refuses to fix it because the warranty expired on the car at 60K. They want nearly $1000 to diagnose and repair.

- Madison, FL, USA

Aug 282009

Approximately 6 months ago..power stee ring light came on and complete loss of power steering occurred. The vehicle must be shut down and restarted to recycle the power steering..this has ceased working because the power steering does not last more than 2 seconds after restarting. When the power steering light is on it is extremely difficult to maintain control of my vehicle. I have replaced fuses and I am just short of taking it to the dealer and upon research noticed more than a few complaints about this problem with this vehicle.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Power steering failed. It was off and on several times until it finally would not come back at all. We had to be put on a waiting list for the actual part. Once it came in, we had it repaired.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Feb 062010

Driving on surface street and the power steering warning came on the dash panel. Then the power steering failed. Pulled car to curb, shut off engine and restarted car engine, power steering resumed. While returning to my home power steering failed two more times.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 172008

Electronic power steering failure. Every time vehicle is driven the power steering goes out. This makes the vehicle very difficult to control while turning.

- San Leon, TX, USA