Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 29 of 56)

Oct 302008

Power steering goes in out when driving causing it to be difficult to steer.

- Peoria Heights, IL, USA

Jan 152008

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt had the same problem that I saw on the ccn report about the loss of power steering. This occurred in 2008 as I was coming off a highway ramp. No accident, when I reached my house, I shut off the power and restarted car 15 minutes later and car worked fine. Has not happened since.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jun 062009

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt power steering failure. Resets after restarting car.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Feb 012010

2006 Chevy Cobalt ss 55,000 miles. Power steering stopped working. Entire steering column has to be replaced.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Dec 152009

I own a 2006 Cobalt, bought brand new in 06. I was driving on the highway when my power steering went out. It said power steering in the information center. Power steering came back after car was turned off. Took to the shop and they told me the electronic power steering motor was going out. I paid for the extended warranty and this part was still not covered. The repair cost me just about $500. I was lucky that no one was hurt when the power steering went out since I was on the highway. What is Chevy going to do about this problem?

- Claremore, OK, USA

Jan 222010

My daughter was driving on highway 40 East in North Carolina car was hit from behind car went across several lanes of traffic and hit rail steering over compensated and air bag did not deploy car was towed and was declared a total loss.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Dec 282009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph the power steering light illuminated when the power steering failed; however, she was able to control the vehicle enough to drive onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was inspected by a local mechanic who was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The dealers diagnosis found that the power steering motor needed to be replaced and if it recurred, the steering column would also need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired; althought, the failure has occurred 5 times. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 53,000. Updated 3/12/10 updated 05/10/10

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 102009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 50 mph the power steering failed without warning and it became difficult to control the steering wheel; however, he was able to manually drive the vehicle to his residence. The power steering light illuminated after the failure occurred. The dealer stated that the power steering motor needed to be replaced at an estimated cost of $ 1,000. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 60,600. Updated 3/4/2010 updated 05/10/10

- Penbrooke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 062009

Power steering keeps going out after 5 minutes of driving, makes car hard to steer and control.

- North Port, FL, USA

Dec 082009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately between 25-30 mph on normal road conditions, proceeding to make a right turn when a chime sensor sounded inside of the vehicle and the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver continued in operation and exerted higher effort to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Nov 072009

My 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt suffered sudden loss of power steering assist while traveling on highway. The effort to steer the vehicle increased to where I could not do more then guide the vehicle to the shoulder of the highway. When the auto was restarted the power steering returned to normal. I continued on my trip with caution. Within 10 minutes the problem recurred. I had the auto towed to a Chevrolet dealer where they replaced the power steering assist motor. I have driven much larger autos that have had power steering failures and have never encountered anything where the amount of effort required to guide the auto was so great. If this had been someone who was less experienced or who did not possess the physical strength of a full grown adult male the situation may have been catastrophic.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Nov 152009

Sudden loss of power steering.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Dec 012009

Random failure of power steering. Fails 3-5 times during 15-20 minute commute which causes vehicle steering to become stiff. Temporary resolution is turning vehicle off and back on, giving you another 5 minutes of power steering. Nothing has been done yet to fix the problem since it's an $800 - $1500 out-of-pocket repair at the dealership. I may try to purchase the power steering motor ($230- dealership only) and install myself but that means pulling out the steering column, disabling airbag, and hoping everything works correctly when you put it back together. This is very dangerous since this is my wife's vehicle which she uses to get to work and carry my 1 year old girl to baby sitter. This has failed during turns, and even when going 55 mph, it is still very difficult to make a 60 degree turn.

- Marion, OH, USA

Feb 022010

I was driving normally on the highway and power steering suddenly went out. Steering became very stiff, and dash lights read "power steering." After pulling over and restarting the car, power steering came back for about 30 minutes, and then went out again the same way. I arrived at the dealership shortly after, and two components were required to fix the car. An electric motor and something else I can't recall the name of. Fortunately, there was no crash. I was lucky to be on a very straight highway. I had no warning prior to power steering going out, and had even had the car serviced early less than a week previous to this happening.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Jan 042010

My daughter's 06 Chevy Cobalt ls steering loss power and she barley got her car out of traffic, she then waited ten minutes and started the car again and was able to drive 4 more miles before it happened again. This has continued to happen so I had to get it fixed before someone got hurt, this has cost me some very expensive car repairs, some thing needs to be done about this I've beentold by the repair shop that it could happen again since the part they replaced is the same part they ordered, which is faulty, I live in fear everytime my child gets in that car to go anywhere, and she needs a car to get to college. As I said before please don't wait for a tragedy that could be prevented. Thank you

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Feb 022010

Power steering goes out of Cobalt. Power steering alert comes on to dash and car beeps. When car is shut off and restarted power steering returns. 3 incidents. 2 near misses with other cars.

- West Union, OH, USA

Jan 202010

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt and I am having a problem with my power steering. It is often hard to turn the steering wheel and I hear a rattling noise in the steering chamber while I am making turns. Also, the power steering malfunctioned as I was driving which caused my steering wheel not to move at all. Fortunately I was not near other cars and was able to stop the car and turn it off in time. I re-started the car and the power steering must have reset itself and began working again.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Feb 022010

In my 2006 Chevy Cobalt I have lost control of my steering wheel 3 times. It happens between 50-55 mph on the highway. I will be driving on the highway hit my brakes and my car begins to shake violently. I have taken it to a mechanic for this problem. However, there is nothing they could do because they could not replicate the problem. They tried at several different speed.

- League City, TX, USA

Jan 102010

Power steering suddenly failed resulting in a near loss of control of the car

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jan 282010

Power steering stopped working on 1/28/10, as I was driving home from work. It started working again on 2/1/10, and then stopped and then started again. I took the car to my mechanic and he said that the entire steering column would have to be replaced.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA