Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 33 of 56)

Jan 232010

While driving the 2006 Chevy Cobalt into New York city (from Pennsylvania) the power steering "died." The car only has 28,000 miles on it and has been driven "delicately" since purchased. *** also note that the entire computer system died last spring (spring 2009) and Chevy refused to help in compensating of the 1200 dollar bill we had - claiming we didn't have the original part that malfunctioned. They did not want to hear that no garage in 2009 gives you the "defunct" part of the car. We have been dealing with Chevy's main offices and gotten no where since the computer fried itself last spring. Since the power steering died 2 weeks ago, they absolutely won't hear of it and will not help whatsoever. For a car with only 28000 miles on it, and have the computer system of the car die as well as the power steering system - something is being covered up on their part. - especially since the dealer we bought the car from (maureen alexander Chevrolet in wilkes-barre pa) has closed due to their "reorganization of GM".

- Pittston Township, PA, USA

May 172009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds including approximately 25 mph, she heard a beeping sound in the dashboard and then the power steering failed. The dealer confirmed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 89,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 012009

The powersteering on my Chevy 2006 Cobalt 4 door, the powersttering light comes on, then the car is nearly impossible to control. Makes driving almost impossible. Took to mechanic, seems the computer chip is ok, the selad system for the steering fluid is ok, it is an electronic motor that overheats is what the mechanic stated. Repaired 2/2/2010.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 302009

While I was driving on the freeway, my power steering went out. I almost lost control of my car, it was extremely difficult for me to safely steer my car off the road. I has to slow to an very unsafe driving speed of 10 mph just to get home. I had no idea what had happened to my car.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jan 132010

Power steering goes out intermittently while driving. When vehicle is turned off and restarted it resets power steering system and it works normal. However the power steering light on the display will come on again with the resulting loss of power steering. This results in difficult steering especially in turns. My daughter will soon be obtaining her drivers license and I am afraid to allow her to drive this vehicle because when the steering goes out in a turn it is difficult to control.

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Aug 252009

Power steering assist motor went out, usually within 30 seconds of car being in 'drive.' Occurred everytime I drove the car. I had to go buy a power steering assist motor (~$190); replaced within 20 minutes by mechanic.

- Junction City, KS, USA

Jan 122010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the warning lights were illuminated on the dashboard then her steering wheel became difficult to control. The failure occurred on two occasions while driving. The dealer stated that the repair cost was $1,000. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Sullivan, MO, USA

Oct 042009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that immediately after the vehicle was started the power steering failed and it became difficult to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that since there was no warranty the diagnostic fee would be $100. There were no related recalls. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jan 132010

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt has been having this on-going problem since I purchased this vehicle in February 2008. The problem is the steering. Sometimes I have difficulty staying in my lane. When I try to correct the problem the steering wheel is tight and hard to maneuver. We thought the problem was in the alignment but that was ruled out. I have been able to recover and go back into my lane in all instances but this problem has been a hard one to prove and it's an accident waiting to happen.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Jan 032010

Why" why Chevy? why me" all I wanted was a decent car. I thought I had found one when I bought my 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt. It looked so pretty sitting in the dealers lot. If I knew that it was going to be a piece of !@#$%, I wouldn't have bought it. The power steering went out on my car when I was transporting children from school. That would be a good headline for Chevy. 3 young children die in accident because of lousy Chevy parts. My power steering has gone off at least 8 times. I have almost been in several accidents because of it. I am scared to drive my car for fear of my life. Please do something about this corporate oversight of the Chevy Cobalt. P.S. !@#$% Chevy.

- Trumann, AR, USA

Jan 312010

My car has never had an issue until Sunday, January 31, 2010. I was driving when suddenly my power steering light on dashboard was blinking "power steering". all of a sudden, I could barely move my steering wheel. I pulled into a gs station and they tried to find out where I would put power steering fluid when we realized, my car has electronic power steering, fluid is not needed. When I turned the car back on, I was able to drive about 10 minutes up the road before it happened again. I made it home but now day 3 it continues to do this. I have done my research and this is a Chevy problem. I called our local Chevy dealer who said they have never seen this before. But from what I have found out through research, this is an issue Chevy is trying to hide! this should be recalled and I should not have to pay $2000 to get it fixed when my 2006 Chevy Cobalt is only worth $5000!

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Nov 262009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions when the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver pulled into a parking lot which required higher effort to turn the steering wheel. The engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation for two minutes. The failure continue to occur whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle is in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer has been notified of the malfunctions. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Reno , NV, USA

Jan 072010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle at any speed he noticed that the power steering light appeared on the dashboard and moments later the steering wheel locked and could not be moved in any direction. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 82000.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Jan 292010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds to include 35 mph, the driver lost control of the steering wheel and it became extremely difficult to turn it in any direction. The failure and current mileages were 63,000.

- Las Nevada, NV, USA

Jul 012007

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and my power steering is going out randomly as I am driving. The car will give no indication that the power steering is about the stop working and then all at once the power steering light will come on and I can not turn the wheel at all. I have tried for over 2 years to get Chevy to do something and still nothing has been done. It has started occurring everyday over the past week.

- Flintville, TN, USA

Jan 282010

I recently bought a Chevy Cobalt 2006 and four months later the power steering went off. I have taken it to the dealership and it is very costly to repair. I was told that they have seren many cases like this on Cobalts. Mine has 59K and has no warranty. The day that the incident happened my mother was driving it and almost had an accident. She is a 60 yr old lady and does not have the strength to be maneuvering a hard steering wheel.

- Eagle Pass , TX, USA

Jan 302010

2006 Chevy Cobalt with ongoing power steering failure issues. During the normal course of driving, the words "power steering" will come up on the odometer and the power steering will stop working. The only solution is to pull over and turn off the engine, which seems to "reset" and temporarily fixes the problem. This failure occurs multiple times and sometimes as soon as 30 seconds after the car is turned on. I've looked online and there are hundreds of other Cobalt owners experiencing the same problem.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 252010

Chevy Cobalt power steering locking up and has to be turned off before it will work again.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 162010

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. My car has 53,000 miles and the power steering light comes on all the time. Thus making my vehicle hard to steer. There needs to be a recall on this before someone dies. I read all over the internet of people complaining about this.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 262010

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt while driving at freeway speeds had sudden loss of power steering with alarm and warning on dash. I was able to get to side of road shut off and engine and restart. No problem after restarting vehicle. Since first occurrence it now happens multiple times daily.

- Nampa, ID, USA