Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 50 of 56)

Jun 222009

I was driving my car back home when the power steering failed(almost crashed). I was able to drive but the car was very hard to steer. I got the car diagnosed and the steering column got replaced.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 052009

I was driving my 2006 Cobalt on 95 South and I experienced loss of power steering which made the steering wheel locked up and become extremely difficult to do anything with. Within a week of the first incident this started to happen every couple of miles and the only way to regain the power steering is to pull off to the side of the road and restart the car. It got so bad within a week it was very dangerous to drive and I could not even pull out of my apartment complex without loosing the power steering and started to occur every couple of miles I drove the car. From the first time I experienced power steering loss until a got it fixed was about one week long and this happened at least 20 or more times. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they said I needed to replace the steering column because there was a internal short in column motor module and have a four wheel alignment which cost me $966.95 to fix and I had to pay the money to fix the problem because the car was way to dangerous to drive with out fixing this problem. I travel on major highways with my job and this dangerous safety defect left me in almost serious accidents and I was pulled over on the interstate 95, pa turnpike, 76, and 495 in Delaware state dealing with this hazard. This problem is a serious safety danger not only to me but every other person on the highway which is not fair to them.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 202009

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt 2.4L ss and the power steering system went out on me at 48K miles. I have read many complaints about this same problem continuing with 2005 and 2006 Cobalts. I feel completely unsafe driving my car and refuse to pay for a repair that GM knows is a problem.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 072009

Power steering fails about 2 times per week. Steering becomes very hard to steer and car looses power. Failure has not as yet been corrected. If you turn car off and let it sit for awhile it returns to normal until next occurrence.

- Fortville, IN, USA

Jul 212009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Whenever the contact would drive at any speed, the vehicle would lose power steering ability. When the vehicle was restarted, the power steering would resume normal operation. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 38,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 222009

I was driving on the highway and my power steering went out. I had no control of the wheel and felt my life was in danger. So I pulled on the side of the road and cut the car off and the problem went away for a minute and came back within 5 min. Can you please help me!!!

- Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Jul 142009

The power steering light on my 2006 Cobalt came on randomly. There was nothing to lead up to the incident. Then later the light had disappeared for a week, until it came up again. This time I received the light warning as well as losing my power steering. It is not constant, but is becoming a more common thing. I have not fixed the problem yet because the dealer can not figure out what the problem is with regular diagnostic testing, and I will not fork out the money to have the dig further into the car. I am looking on fixing the problem myself, but still do not know what the problem may be. I do not want to buy a used item and have the same problem happen. I have been reading up on this problem and it seems to be a pretty common thing with the Chevy Cobalt's and Pontiac G5's. what I would like to do is find an oem part with a warranty, put that is also hard because I don't know if there is a new aftermarket oem part that has been changed so that this problem does not occur again.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jan 012009

After reaching 50,000 miles on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt, the power steering became faulty. It will work for the first 30 seconds of turning the car on, and then it will stop. It happens every time the car comes on. I took it to the dealer and they told me it would cost about $1,100 dollars to fix.

- Ames, IA, USA

Jul 102008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering continued to fail. It was very difficult to move the steering wheel shaft. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that there may have been a misread in the computer. The failure could not be duplicated. On a separate occasion, the power steering failed again. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle in order to correct the failure. Later, the power steering failed completely. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were less than 50,000.

- Corpus Christie, TX, USA

May 152009

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt's power steering went out around the 42,000 mark.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 152000

Steering wheel get stuck was repaired in the same year purchased in 08 now the same problem service said it will cost 1,000 dollars I can not afford to repair it now what do I do? the same problem 2 times is there a defect in the part.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 172009

The power steering goes out at random intervals on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. This has nearly led to several accidents.

- Munford, TN, USA

Jun 302009

Driving down the highway and my power steering went out going 70 mph in a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, pulled off onto ramp turned car off worked fine for 1/2 mile and went out again. Made it to a shop and had the steering column replaced and I still have the old part.

- Paola, KS, USA

Jul 152009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 5 mph around a corner and also at 45 mph, the power steering failed. The contact pulled over and turned off the vehicle. When he restarted it, the vehicle drove normally. He stated that the failure occurred frequently at various speeds. The dealer stated that it would cost $900 to repair the vehicle because it was not under warranty. The dealer also stated that they have serviced many vehicles with this same failure. The vehicle will be repaired because the failure is becoming worse. The failure mileage was 38,000 and current mileage was 38,619.

- Longview, TX, USA

Jul 152009

2006 Chevy Cobalt ls, 39,175 miles. Went to the store, approximately 1 mile, slowed down to make the turn and power steering went out. Came very close to hitting someone else! from what I have seen on multiple websites and elsewhere, there are many many people with the same problem because of faulty electronic steering. Please do something!

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 132009

The 2006 Chevy Cobalt power steering, the problem is while you are driving the power steering will fail and you would have to pull over to change the fuse or turn the car off and then back on to correct the problem. That is a serious problem while traveling on the interstate. GM has to know about this problem but Chevy dealers are charging people over eight hundred dollar to correct this issue. This is on vehicle with less than 40K.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

Jul 132009

The "power steering" warning came on in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt today while I was driving it and I lost power steering. I managed to get home but with great difficulty. Later, when I started the car again, it worked without a problem. I will take it to a dealer, but I anticipate that the dealer will not fix it if the problem is not occurring when they look at the car.

- Patrick Afb, FL, USA

Jul 022009

There have been several random instances at random speeds that my power steering ceases to work. The dic will display "power steering" and then the power steering assist goes away. It then becomes difficult to maneuver the vehicle. This is unsafe because of course I need to be able to control my car! there is a tsb on this issue, number 070232007, but no recall. There needs to be a recall before someone is really injured or killed. I haven't taken the car to the dealer yet because I am strong enough to control the car without the power steering but it still should be fixed by GM.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Power steering failed during drive and lock up the steering wheel completely. Steering wheel was very hard to steer since it is a all electronic power steering. I had to pull over during traffic and shut off the vehicle in order to re-initialize the power steering. I was able to gain control of the vehicle.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 272009

I was driving one day and my power steering light came on and my steering column locks up on me. If I turn the car off it goes away for about two minutes. I've done my research and this model is having tons of these problems. This is extremely dangerous and I wish for GM to refund and recall this model. Its the same as the cavalier just had to many problems with it and so they had to change the name. What a cheap trick by the big car manufacturers.

- Denver, CO, USA