CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 52 of 56)

Jun 182009

Cobalt

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Cobalt in June of 2007 it was a new car. There has been no recalls for any parts concerning the power steering. On June 18, 2009 on my dash board had a dic message come up staying power steering and I completely lost control of the power steering in the car. Thank goodness I did not have an accident, but it made the car very difficult to turn or control. It happened twice. After I shut the off it resumed normal driving. Then it happened again about 20 minutes later. I believe this is a safety issue and the GM corporation should be aware of this and take responsibility for fixing these errors. On June 19, 2009, I took my car to licensed mechanic and they said there is a short in the power steering motor. The mechanic also stated that he has had several Chevy in the shop for the same problem. The part is available but it will cost around a $1000 dollars to fix with parts and labor, which it is our of my budget with the state of our economy. I also did research on the internet and found many other individuals with the same problems with their Chevy and power steering. It is very frightening when their are two small children in the backseat of the car as well.

- Dover, DE, USA

Mar 142009

Cobalt

There were no prior events leading up to my power steering going out while I was driving on the highway. All of a sudden, my power steering light clicked on and I could barely turn my steering wheel and in fact almost got into a serious accident. I took it straight to the dealership and was told it wasn't just my power steering but my entire steering column was shot at only 50K. GM replaced the steering column for $800; absolutely absurd for a car I bought brand new in 2006.

- Ramona, CA, USA

May 112009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering suddenly failed while making a turn at a low speed. The failure also occurred while driving in reverse. The failure usually occurs at speeds of 35 mph or less. The vehicle has not been taken to a dealer or mechanic for inspection. Through online research, the contact found numerous complaints for the same issue. The failure mileage was 55,000 and current mileage was 57,000.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 092009

Cobalt

Steering failure in the Chevrolet Cobalt. I was driving and the power steering went out. Took car in to the Chevrolet dealers services department, I was told that it was the intermediate steering shaft, I was told that this part was replaced but when they test drove the car they found the steering to be impossible to turn. They released the car back to us without solving the problem. I find this to be troubling since this is their product. This is a very serious problem and GM should be liable for this problem. There should a recall on the steering column in the Cobalt, before someone is killed.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Jun 132009

Cobalt

Dear sir or madam: On my way to wal-mart on route 40 one Saturday afternoon, a "power steering" message came up on my 2006 Cobalt ss dashboard. This was happening as I was increasing my speed close to the speed limit of 55 miles an hour. I arrived to my destination with difficulty since I have never driven a car without power steering and driving it took a lot of effort to avoid crashing in the parking lot traffic. After I shopped at wal-mart and returned to my car, I started engine and relieved that the problem has disappeared. Much to my dismay, I went back to route 40 up to 55 miles an hour again with the power steering problem appearing again. Based on what I've experienced so far, the power steering seems to get turned "off" during a long, straight-away drive at more than 50 miles an hour on a hot weather. It has happened twice today and I'm concerned that it may happen again and again. The defect could endanger myself and my passengers in the event the power steering is much more needed, especially in low traffic speeds. During low traffic speeds, it increases the risk of an accident due to a more required effort to steer. Nothing has been done to it yet and I will be calling my car dealership soon to see if my zurich vehicle contract covers the electronic power steering. Since GM's warranty has expired already, it will not be covered. I have searched the web and found that countless Cobalt owners are having the similar problems, which worries me. General Motors hasn't started a recall for the defect and it's unfortunate because the defect can end up being fatal to many other Cobalt owners. I hope General Motors isn't being negligent, especially now that they are under bankruptcy protection. I bought the 2006 Cobalt ss 4 months ago used and I've accumulated 7000 miles on it with an odometer reading of about 67,400. It was a great car until I find out it's pretty unsafe with a re-occurring power steering problem.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

May 122009

Cobalt

My husband and I purchased to 2006 Chevy Cobalt in September of 06. Since the purchase of my, "brand new" car the air conditioning, power locks, and power steering have all ceased to work. My air conditioning only worked for one summer. The power locks went out about 6 months ago. Now, the most concerning is that my power steering has now failed. I turn the car on and have power steering for approximately 2-3 minutes, then the cars power steering fails. I will never have the money to replace any parts because of the high payments and insurance. My poor husband is a pizza delivery person! this is the worst thing to happen. I tried to buy an american made car hoping that I would at least get to drive it for a few years without having it break down. Now GM is getting my paycheck and the taxes they took out of it!! this is plain wrong! I will never buy GM again.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 032009

Cobalt

I almost got in a major accident a week ago because my power steering failed on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss/SC. My warranty is up and the dealer told me it would be 900 dollars to fix. I am disgusted this is not recalled. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be recalled. And I understand there are alot of other people with the same problem. Just wait until someone really gets hurt, cause I know GM wont recall it until someone does!!!!

- Plainfield, IL, USA

May 312009

Cobalt

My 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt with electronic power steering has an intermittent problem in that the power steering just turns off. There are no apparent reasons why. I can drive 1-2 days with no problem and the third day it will quit 4 or 5 times. Turning the car off and restarting it turns it back on. Chevrolet has recalled the Malibu because of the same problem but nothing is being done with the Cobalt. This obviously a big safety issue since the car is very hard to steer when the power steering just quits. I have not had any accidents yet due to this problem and will have it repaired however it seems a matter of time before some unexpected person has this happen at an inopportune time resulting in an accident.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jun 062009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering fails while driving various speeds. As a result, the steering wheel becomes very difficult to turn. The dealer stated that there were no recalls and the warranty was expired; therefore, the contact would have to pay over $3,000 for the repairs. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Apr 232009

Cobalt

I bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt April 9,2009. After about 2 weeks the power steering light came on. I took it to the dealership and they said the steering column is going out and it would cost about $900. Now the light comes on after a few minutes. The car was not under warranty, but I think they knew there was something wrong with it. I have checked on the internet and a lot of people have the same complaint. There should be a recall or something help for people like me that cannot afford to have it repaired.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jun 062009

Cobalt

While driving the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 5 minutes, I slowed to make a left turn when I noticed the steering wheel was hard to turn, as I looked at the dash to make sure the engine had not died, I noticed that the power steering message was on. After I stopped to attempt to locate the power steering reservoir...(which I later determined that this vehicle does not have.) upon re-starting the vehicle it seemed to work fine...for about ten miles. I turned the vehicle off and restarted with a resolution of he problem. The problem re-occurred several times on the way home. The current mileage was 57,102. This vehicle will be parked in until I contact a dealer on Monday to report this problem. I do not feel safe transporting my family in this vehicle. After searching the internet and this site...it appears this is a big problem on these vehicles. GM should look at this carefully and notice that there have been no deaths or injuries>>>>yet>>>! with the current financial troubles of automakers today...I doubt the would really want a huge injury or death related lawsuit to be filed against them. Everyone with a voice (and a Cobalt with problems) should make themselves heard and voice these complaints! as Cobalt owners we should consider ourselves lucky just to be able to write a complaint about this problem! something has to be done to correct this issue!

- Macarthur, WV, USA

Jun 032009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt which I'm upset to say has caused me to almost be involved in various accidents. This problem started since December, 2006. While driving, my "power steering" warning comes on, and before you know it, you loose control of your car. This has almost made me get into a few accidents. The manufacturers should be more serious about the consumer's safety. I'm enraged and terrified to think this might happen when I'm in the car with my kids. As a result, I don't go out to prevent any accidents. Manufacturers should do something to resolve this problem. I'm pretty sure, if they were the ones who drove my car, they would be more selective about the quality of their product. I will never own a Chevy again.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 292009

Cobalt

I was driving down the road and all of sudden my wheel locked on me. I try to get out of the way of a oncoming car and I was very frighten. This could have been a serious accident if I was not thinking on my feet. Chevrolet should have a recall on the steering wheel column. I only got 45,000 miles on the car and only own it for about 3 yrs.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jun 012009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that a power steering mechanism in her vehicle failed three times in one day. She had to turn off the vehicle and wait for it to reset itself. The dealer and manufacturer have not been notified. The failure mileage was 68,400.

- Lewisburg, TN, USA

May 312009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The power steering stopped functioning after a warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred while driving 10 mph. The contact was still able to drive the vehicle, but with great difficulty. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer; however, the contact was informed that the repair would be expensive since there were no recalls on the instrument panel. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 68,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 222006

Cobalt

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Cobalt from the gsa through the norwalk auto auction (norwalk, California) two days ago. While on the way home I experienced a complete power failure of the steering system and the steering wheel became inoperable and struggled to make it to the emergency lane where I stopped. I moved the wheel from side to side and within moments the power steering warning light went off. I continued to have this problem two more times repeated the same process while on my 30+ mile return home. I have visited numerous consumer web sites times since and within the last two days I find that this is a common defect. This is probably why the government issued vehicle was auctioned off. Estimates to fix this problem are reported to be approximately $2,000. The complaints are numerous and the cost for replacement is obscene. Consumers report the repeated failure of this component even on repaired vehicles. Apparently the component fails at elevated temperatures repeatedly. I am 6'1" and 250lbs. And I struggled to control the car, there is no doubt that my wife at 5'. 115lbs. Will have even more difficulty to maintain control. If I am unable to resolve this issue at a more reduced cost I will sell this vehicle to another unsuspecting individual just like the good 'ol gsa of the usa did to me. This is a serious safety issue and should be addressed.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 202009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering failed without warning and almost caused a crash at 40 mph. The dealer stated that the steering column needed to be replaced and the vehicle should not be driven. The contact feels that this is a serious safety risk. The current mileage was 57,000 and failure mileage was 3,000.

- Castlewood, VA, USA

May 202009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering fails randomly. The failure previously occurred at 20,000 miles and was reported to GM, but they never took action or repaired the vehicle. The contact was informed that the vehicle was out of warranty. The vehicle is currently at the dealer being repaired at the contact's expense. The failure mileage was 61,436.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

May 142009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle resisted unexpectedly while making a turn. The driver exerted greater effort to turn the steering wheel. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The driver pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and turned off the engine. The vehicle was restarted after a few moments and resumed normal operation. The failure occurs without warning whenever the vehicle is in motion. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing and they stated that the steering motor failed. The repair part was unavailable. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 52,051.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 052009

Cobalt

Driving home powersteering light came on and power steering went out. I was told by the dealer to turn the car off and the computer will rest itself. It lasted for a while, but started again. Car had 19,000 miles, bought new and dealer wants me to pay $1,100., to replace the whole steering column. Do not have $1,100 to pay for this new vehicle. I am taking chance driving this vehicle and the powersteering light will come on anytime. Warranty ran out 01/09. The 1st incident occurred Feb 5th, 2009. Fox Chevy dealer advised 3 yr warranty expired.

- Baltimore, MD, USA