Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 54 of 56)

Aug 102008

The power steering on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt cuts in and out with no rhyme or reason. There have been other people with this same car who have experienced the same problem. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be address by GM.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Dec 312008

My power steering has went out twice, both times were very frightening. The first time, I was about to turn out into a busy street. Luckily, when I noticed that it was extremely difficult to control my steering, I put my car into reverse in order to back into a parking space in the lot that I was about to leave. I was hoping this would be the only instance where this would happen. However, while I had a co-worker in my car, coming back to my workplace after picking up lunch, I was faced with the same problem. I was very thankful that I was able to turn into my parking lot. I couldn't imagine wrecking with a passenger in my car. And even worse, if I would've lost control and crashed into the nursing facility that I work at, I could've injured residents, too! after reading all of the complaints about this problem, I'm just curious what it's going to take for it to get recalled. Will someone have to lose their life in order for someone to take action?! I'm furious with Chevrolet for forcing people to pay for something that they (Chevrolet) can prevent!!!

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 042009

My power steering light comes on, on the dash and I loose all power steering.

- Crystal Beach Ontario , 00, USA

Sep 192008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact noticed issues with the power steering in her vehicle. While driving 20 mph, the power steering would function for approximately.2 miles and then fail. She attempted to turn off the vehicle and restart it, but the failure continued. The failure recurred frequently. She took the vehicle to a dealer and they stated that there was no recall. The vehicle has not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 82,000 and failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Dec 202008

The power steering unit locks up when I am driving. I can only slow the vehicle down and hope I don't have to turn while it is locked. I hit a curb and busted my rim on one occasion. It does it frequently and I can't afford to get it fixed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 152008

When ever I drive a small distance the power steering signal comes on and I loose my power steering which almost made me have an accident, and my car locks keep popping up and down.

- Coldwater , MS, USA

Dec 192008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 15 mph and making a left turn, the steering column failed. The contact's vehicle almost crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle was able to be safely maneuvered into a parking space, but the steering was very stiff when attempting to park. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the power steering motor failed. The cost to repair the vehicle would be $600. No repairs have been made. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The current and failure mileages were 50,000.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Dec 212008

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. When I purchased it in January 2008 it had approximately 62,000 kms. In the last year I have driven it for approx. 9000 km. In July 2008 I had my first problem with the power steering. I was driving out of my driveway and the power steering light came on. The car immediately stopped working after shaking for 2-3 seconds. I re-started the engine and the car moved but the brakes were shaky and it seemed as if I was out of gear. I took the car to the dealer 2-3 days later and they replaced my whole steering column with a cost of close to $1000 at the time as my car was out of warranty. The problem went away for a few months but unfortunately last night it began again (December 21). The power steering light came on and the vehicle started shaking while I was driving at 40 km/H. I did not lose control but it made my drive really difficult as I was driving on icy roads. Same as in the summer the brakes were shaky and the engine was out of gear and accelerating was hard to control. After stopping at a gas station and re-starting the engine the car worked fine. I am taking the car to the dealership again, but I cannot believe how GM does not recall this car as hundreds of people report the same problem. It's really dangerous to have the power steering go off randomly. And I don't even know what this is going to cost now.. I have spent over $1500 in repairs for this faulty car just in the last 6 months!

- Calgary Ab Canada, 00, USA

Nov 222006

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle had issues with the engine surging. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that there was a dirty injector, in which they replaced. In January of 2007, the vehicle was taken to the dealer and they reprogrammed the computer for the surging issue. In March of 2008, the vehicle was returned to the dealer for a recall on the injectors. In addition to the surging, the vehicle would also shake violently when coming to a stop. The brakes and steering would not function correctly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer in October of 2008 and the powertrain control module was replaced. In November of 2008, the contact took the vehicle to the dealer again in regards to the violent shaking. The dealer could not duplicate the failure and advised the contact to call a tow truck in the event of a crash because they could not assist. In November of 2008, the vehicle began shaking violently and crashed into the preceding vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to another dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure as well. A complaint was filed with the manufacturer and the contact is awaiting their response. She was advised to not operate the vehicle. The speed was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 17,250 and failure mileage was approximately 3,040.

- Davie , FL, USA

Sep 012008

We purchased this car for our teenage daughter based on the reputation of Chevrolet. Driving down the road the powersteering goes out without warning. It can be restarted which will reset the powersteering for a short period of time however, this is unsafe. In mid turn or maneuver this is likely to happen which is likely to cause a crash. I have researched and it does not seem to be a random issue but many people with this same model of car are having this same issue. Chevrolet needs to take care of this problem!

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Dec 022008

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The power steering will go out while driving down the road. I can restart my car and it will work again for a period of time. The car is past its warranty stage and has 49625 miles on it. I bought the car from a Chevy dealership with 7000 miles on it. This is definitely a safety issue as who knows what may happen if the power steering goes out while changing lanes or making a rapid turn. I have researched on the internet and found alot of people having the same thing happen as well to the Cobalt they have. Surely this has to be a malfunction within the car and I believe should be addressed and fixed. I contacted the dealership and chevorlet assistants and I was informed to take the car in to have the problem diagnosed, which I am scheduled to do so; however this is costing me money. I realize that car break down and sometimes there are costs involved but I do not think this is just a problem that one individual car is having; this is an recurring problem that is happening in Cobalts with the electrically steering eps. It is not safe, it should not be happening in a newer model of car. What happened to the integrity of chevorlets? please advise or help in this matter before someone does have a fatal accident or die behind this problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 102008

Power steering (electric) has gone out on car along with 20,000 other peoples Chevy needs to fix my car and this problem.

- Wesley Chapel , FL, USA

May 012005

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 30 mph, the electric power steering indicator was flashing, which indicated that the power steering was not working. The failure made steering difficult. The lack of power steering almost caused numerous crashes. The current mileage was 60,440 and failure mileage was 56,000.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Oct 012008

I was driving on a straight road when all the sudden on my 06 Cobalt the power steering went out and the dashboard says power steering. It would not work and had to manually turn it. This is a danger for many reasons. There is over 5000 complaints on the internet and this needs to be taken seriously!!

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 292008

I was driving my 2006 Chevy Cobalt when the power steering went out and I received a power steering error message. I took it to a GM certified dealer to be diagnosed and my steering column control motor had shorted out causing me to lose my power steering. This part being an electric motor is not covered under warranty and the electric circuit failed under its own Accord. My power steering has not show any other problems before this incident and regular maintenance has been performed. I was able to get stopped safely but the loss of my power steering at a high speed could have resulted in a severe accident or harm to others. The entire motor must be replaced for a cost of $850 for this short not to occur again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 062008

In my sons 2006 Chevy Cobalt, at any giving time the power steering light comes on the dash and he loses steering on the vehicle, once you cycle the ignition it works for a little while then happens again. I have read several complaints about this and it's costly to repair over $2000. I know GM knows about this so why aren't they doing something about this mechanical issue that is going to kill someone!! I believe a recall should be done because of the unsafe issue while driving or turning a vehicle and lose control. This problems happens at least 3-4 times a day and son just doesn't have the money to repair. He just joined the army in Sept. 4, 2008 and is going to need his car in va. For his training. Could you please provide a push to GM on this issue.. please!! thank you..

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 282008

My electric power steering in my 2006 Cobalt has gone out about ten times at random times in the past two days. Going about 65 mph on the highway it shut off scaring the light out of me. It shuts off at random times and if you turn the car off and back on it will start working again. I believe this is not safe to have happen in any car. I only have about 25,000 miles on my car for it to start acting up. I am going to take it to the dealer ship tomorrow morning to see if my warranty covers it. I have seen boards online and many people are having the same problem with there Cobalts.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 242008

I turned on my car today to go to work and it read "power steering" on my gauge. I try to back my car out and it was extremely hard to turn. I put it in drive to drive and drive it around my addition and it began to jerk and act like it was going to die. I turned it off and back on and it was still having the same problem. I went to my local autozone to see if they could tell me what was wrong with it, but of course when the tech rode around in the car with me the problem completely stopped. I have read many blogs of the happening with the 2006 Cobalts. And, of course, it is no longer in warranty. As a single young adult I can not afford to fix this. With our economy problems we have today I can barely afford to live.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 012008

Intermittently loses power steering while driving. (known defect by dealer).

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 052008

I was leaving my apartment complex and was in the process on turning right onto the main street when my car wouldn't allow me to continue to turn right so I forced it until I was straight again and then I had to stop(in the street) to see why I couldn't turn and my message board was flashing power steering. I then tried to turn into a business to get off the main road but couldn't turn in so I turned off my car and started it again and the power steering returned but only for a few seconds. I had to continue to stop and turn my car off and turn it on again just to return to my residence. The power steering is completely gone and I can't even drive my car. I called GM and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty and I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in but I informed them that I lived three hours away and didn't feel safe driving the car down the highway and they said all they could do was have me bring it in and can cut me a deal on the repair. I informed both companies that I was not working and they told me there was nothing they could do. I went online to see if there were others with this same problem when I found that there are several people with the same problem and nothing is being done about it. I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt.

- Temple , TX, USA