CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 56 of 56)

Jun 142008

Cobalt

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. I was driving on a windy road last week and all of a sudden a message flashed on my dash that read power steering, and I had no power steering as I was going in to a turn just about lost control of the vehicle. I have researched the problem on-line to find out thousands of other Cobalt owners are having the same problem with there power steering, which is electronic. There is no recall on this. This has been featured on local news channels. GM has done nothing about it...

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jun 202008

Cobalt

While traveling the speed limit on a 4 lane hwy72 West of walnut, ms, my daughter (16) crashed her 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls. My daughter said that suddenly the car "wouldn't go where I wanted it to". also immediately prior to losing total control my younger daughter (11) asked her sister, "what's wrong with the car?" losing complete steering function, the car shot at a 45 degree across the rightmost lane (leaving 4 plain black tire marks on the pavement), hit and climbed the embankment and rolled over once or twice and came to rest upside down. A cursory search on the internet showed more than a few similar incidents like my daughters.. I don't like witchhunts or hunters but something seems to be amiss in this and like vehicles. Its a cute car, one that kids would like. Maybe this will keep others from getting injured or even killed. I imagine state farm will total the car but it is currently still intact as the wreck just happened yesterday. No air bags deployed, no hard frontal crash, mostly roll damage and two terrified but okay children. Thanks

- Walnut, MS, USA

Sep 272007

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering locks frequently while driving at any speed. The failure normally occurs when driving in reverse out of her driveway. She pulled over and had to turn off and restart the vehicle in order for the steering to unlock. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the repair would cost $800. The repair would consist of changing the power steering electrical system. On June 14, 2008, the contact was unable to turn off the vehicle. She had to remove random fuses in order to shut off the vehicle. The manufacturer stated that they would assist with a $200 certificate because there was no recall. She will not have the vehicle repaired and wants the manufacturer to trade the vehicle. The VIN and speed were unavailable. The failure mileage was 32,000 and current mileage was 67,000.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Jun 092008

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact experienced a loss of steering ability when she depressed the brake pedal. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle became uncontrollable and completely shut down. The contact could not turn the vehicle to pull off the road; however, no crash occurred. The current mileage was 49,000 and failure mileage was 48,990. Updated 07/29/08 the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle began to shake and when the brake was applied, the vehicle shook violently and immediately shut down. Updated 08/01/08.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Jun 092008

Cobalt 4-cyl

1) when purchasing this used vehicle from the dealer, we were informed the previous owner had broken his key in the ignition switch, hence the broken ignition lock mechanism. Lie 2) car began making a front end noise or so I thought, the next day as my daughter in law and my grandkids were driving home the power steering indicator light turned on, she applied her brakes to slow down and all the lights on the panel turned on and her steering locked. The truck behind us was forced off the road to avoid slamming in to us. After getting online to see if there was going to be an easy and inexpensive way to repair this problem I was appalled to read all the complaint regarding these same issues. I lost my oldest child to faulty seat belts on the 01 Ford Ranger edge. This is indeed a safety issued that needs to be resolved immediately before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Dec 092007

Cobalt 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car at 25 mph on a straight road. The dashboard warning light came on warning that the power steering was inoperative. This made the car virtually impossible to make the turn at the next intersection. She pulled over to the side of the road so that she did not get in to an accident. She restarted the car and the warning light was not on. After traveling about 2-3 miles the same incident happened and the steering without the electronic assistance was not an option and she pulled to the side of the road. She contacted GM who had to tow the car to the Chevrolet service station. The steering computer module was replaced. This incident took place in December 2007. On April 30,2008 the same scenario happened except this time the check engine light, T/C light and power steering light was on and the car was bucking. She contacted GM again who had the car towed to the Chevrolet service station. The service station referenced service bulletin 070232007. The codes where reset and the car was test drove. At this time no codes where present. The service center called to inform us of this condition. They however did not feel comfortable sending the vehicle back to us at this time. The service center kept the car an additional 24 hours to test drive and code test. After 24 hours the service center contacted us to pick the vehicle up. As a car owner I do not feel confident in my wife driving this unsafe vehicle. The electronic steering when inoperative makes the car uncontrollable and very unsafe. This is the second incident with the same conditions. This makes this car unsafe and an accident waiting to happen. When a cars electronic steering fails the car should still be controllable and this car is not.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Jan 072008

Cobalt

While driving on a straight road my power steering failed and I lost control of the car. The car jerked severely and eventually caused me to cross over a double yellow line into the parking lot of a tow truck company. I hit 2 tow trucks and my car was totaled.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Jan 172008

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle began to make noise and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle then began to jerk and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle shut off and would not restart. The current and failure mileages were 39,000.

- Coalinga, CA, USA

Nov 172007

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Shakes violently after driving about 30 minutes on the highway. Does not do this just around town 4 or 5 miles from home. Dealer cannot reproduce this shaking problem nor can they find the problem. It shakes so bad that I am afraid to drive into the city. I do alot of business in the city so I am at a loss as to how I am going to work. I am an independent sales person.

- Crosby, TX, USA

May 172007

Cobalt 4-cyl

This is in documentation of my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. Replaced the steering column, replaced steering shaft, rubbing and grinding, knocking on steering column and floor pan area, when coming to a stop car RPM's will drop so low that the car will almost die, speakers have a rattle like they are going to quit working, lost power assist while in a turn once documented has now happened twice, when using turn signal with high beams on lights will shut off, passenger side bumper was pulled away from headlamp.

- Walker, WV, USA

Mar 282007

Cobalt 4-cyl

- the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a sound in the front end of the vehicle under the hood. She had been hearing that noise since she purchased the vehicle. She said that one could hear the sound 85% of the time, and that it was usual while driving at a slow rate of speed. The weather was not a factor. The dealership told the contact that this was normal for this type of vehicle. The current mileage was 20,600 and the failure mileage was 2,500. The consumer switch dealers due to the fact berglund stated noise is normal. Pinkerton(dealer) tries to assess what the problem is decided multiple cases of gear concerns and replaced steering gear but the consumer states they can't really pinpoint the problem. Consumer has provided various invoices. Update

- Roanoke, VA, USA