2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 51)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 51)

Dec 152014

Cobalt

While driving, my a power steering message displayed on my display center. The car became very difficult to turn. I wasn't able to drive at the normal accuracy and would liek to Chevrolet to open the previous recall to solve this issue.

Oct 252014

Cobalt

We were driving down the road in Oct when all of sudden dash lights up flashing dinging going crazy the car keeps jerking forward like its trying to shift into a gear for the whole 40 min drive it drove fine on the way home. It has done this maybe three times since the other day I was driving my grand children to school when the car started to jerk forward then just stopped running and lost power steering, in a three way intersection, my car finally started up after about 10 mins. In Oct when the car started having problems I called our dealer they said the car had all the recalls done that it would cost 90 to check it out and that they wouldn't be able to find anything unless it was having the issues at the time they had the vehicle I ended up calling GM about the problem only to be told I am sorry that you had a stressful morning we can give you a case number and will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours may car now sets at my daughters house I will not be driving this car for fear I may injury or kill my grandchildren or others this vehicle id a death trap GM needs to own up and buy out these vehicles so upset right now shame on them how many lives need to be lost before they do something this time?

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Dec 062014

Cobalt

My wife was driving her car a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls all of the sudden the dash board lights turned on as if it was being turned on from a cold start. The car started to buckle in the message board started to say power steering. She lost power steering and had to make an emergency stop. I checked the car that afternoon and nothing seemed fine then on a Saturday afternoon it did the same thing to me. I took it to a mechanic to be scanned and the code U0073 poped up which is the control module bus ( communication buss was off). The transmission has not been shifting right, hard, rough shifts are being done. The idle drops and raises automatically. My door lock for he driver side does not open as well. This is really unsafe.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 032014

Cobalt

When driving the vehicle and going over bumps, there is a clunking noise from the steering column. Overall, the steering column appears loose, the steering wheel is hard to turn left or right and clunks as well. Took it to two different ase certified mechanics and was told that the steering is loose inside the column itself. Steering is not responsive to turns as it should be.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Nov 212014

Cobalt

While leaving from a parking lot my power steering gave out. It is electrical and affects the rest of the electrical in the car. Transmission feels affected as well. When changing gears the engine will drop drastically creating a change in momentum and sending the driver and passenger forward. From reading online this seems to be an ongoing issue with 2005 and 2006 Chevrolet Cobalts.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 172014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was an intermittent electrical short pertaining to the steering column and the instrument panel cluster. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering), but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact indicated that the speedometer gauge failed, the power steering sensor illuminated, and, at various points in time, the transmission downshifted intermittently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- East Canton, OH, USA

Oct 172014

- East Canton, OH, USA

Nov 182014

Cobalt

As I was driving, the message center displayed power steering. It became difficult to steer. This is a recall that has been closed and I believe that it should be opened again to customers having the same issue. I would like to see GM assist with this issue.

Oct 272014

Cobalt

While driving, my power steering flashed on and it became difficult to drive. I understand that there was a recall issued four years ago but the problem continues. I would like to see GM assist me in the appropriate way to handle this issue.

Nov 022009

Cobalt

I have owned my 2006 Chevy Cobalt since 2008. Starting in 2009 all the way until now 2014 I have had issues with the car that are related to the ignition switch recall. I took my car in to the Chevy dealer to take care of the ignition switch recall on November 5, 2014. I got my car back the same day, they replaced the ignition switch and gave me two new keys. Surprise! two days later on November 7, 2014 my car again had the exact same problems related to the ignition switch recall that it did before I took it in for the recall fix. Hence, Chevy's "recall ignition switch fix" does not solve the problem with these cars! my car still does the following things even after the ignition switch fix that is supposed to solve these problems. Whenever it pleases it will lose electrical power and turn off the engine, leaving me stuck in the middle of a busy highway, this has happened on numerous occasions!! as if that isn't bad enough there's more! the power steering light flashes, the check engine light comes on, the service airbag light comes on, the gauges on the dash completely stop working properly the speedometer needle goes haywire moving from 0 mph to 60 mph back and forth non-stop when I'm not even accelerating to those speeds. The RPM gauge does the exact same thing. The car jolts forward uncontrollably, like it is having a problem shifting especially when the RPM is between 2000 and 3000. When you go to brake you have to slam the brakes all the way down because you lose your normal braking power the car skids as you're braking and continues to jolt forward uncontrollably. Oh and on top of all of this sometimes the power steering completely goes out leaving you with all of the problems mentioned above and you can't steer properly! something needs to be done immediately! the ignition switch recall fix does not work! these cars should not be on the road period.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Nov 042014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the power steering failed causing the contact to use excessive force to maneuver the vehicle. The power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Mar 122014

Cobalt

Had my car recalled for the ignition recall and had my car sitting at the dealer ship waiting on the part for 6 months. Received my car back in August 2014 and find that having several problems. The ignition locks the key does not open the door, electric problems, lights go out and than come on, ac has rattle when turn on high, car jerks. These problem have accured since I have received my car back after 6 months sitting at the dealership because of the GM recall. I had a rent a car and paid over $600 in gas and had to get the window repaired from a chip that got bigger, from a small one when I got it. Had to get an oil change because it was low on oil and new wipers. I would never had to have done that with my car. It cost me more money to have a rent a car and I never got reimbursed. Just got a thank you. I feel I should get something out of this weather I am injured or not.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Oct 162014

Cobalt

My power steering went out on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt while driving in a parking lot. This resulting in an increased difficulty steering at low speeds. I took it to a local Chevrolet dealership for repair and although they replaced the power steering motor, which was under a recall, they also need to replace the whole steering column assembly since it too was damaged, as replacing the motor did not fix the issue. The dealership could not confirm or deny that the issue of loss of power steering being the result of the motor failing or the steering column failing. They also could not confirm or deny if it was the motor failing that caused the failure in the column to need replaced as well. If it was indeed not the motor that failed and instead the steering column failing due to manufacturer error does that not produce a similar issue of safety as the failing of the motor (which is currently recalled).

- St Charles, IL, USA

Aug 142014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Upon starting the vehicle, the power steering indicator illuminated and the vehicle became extremely difficult to maneuver. The power steering resumed normal operation once the vehicle was warmed up. The vehicle was previously repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 12/09/14

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Sep 112014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- Redford, MI, USA

Aug 262014

Cobalt

The power steering light comes on causing the vehicle to not want to stop and the back end to push forward. Steering gets tight. I just bought this car 2 months ago it has a power steering motor recall and to me this car should not have been sold to anyone. It's dangerous..I took it back to find out what it was and this is what they told me today 9/16. I bought this car at a dealership. Now what do I do?

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 172012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 136,000.

- Lumberton , NC, USA

Aug 252014

Cobalt

While driving the car the power steering goes out and makes the car hard to drive. The stering pump has been changed 2 time since original recall, but yet the problem still exists.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 062014

Cobalt

Power steering failure seems to occur at random times, and becoming more frequent. There is a "power steering" display on dashboard and a warning chime. Then the speedometer and RPM's go bonkers, the car repeatedly jumps forward abruptly, and the power steering goes out. Sometimes I can park, turn the car off and back on, and the issue goes away, and sometimes it does not. This happened last year, but the power steering motor recall (done in July of 2013) seemed to fix it, but only temporarily. It is irritating and scary to have to drive my car like this, and I am concerned for my safety during the upcoming winter months where I will certainly be driving on ice and snow. I hope there will be another recall to permanently solve this issue. Thank you.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Aug 192014

Cobalt

I was driving down the road. I reached 55 and my engine shut off. I had no brakes or steering and went to right in ditch and hit a telephone pole.

- Rutledge, MN, USA