CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 172009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 20 mph, the contact noticed smoke coming from the hood of the vehicle. He pulled over and turned off the vehicle. The vehicle was diagnosed and it was discovered that the serpentine belt failed and caused the engine to lock. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired under warranty. In addition, the power steering failed twice and is currently being repaired. The failure and current mileages were 44,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 172007

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Cobalt ss/SC with 60K miles. I will start the car and powersteering will be fine. Then I drive about 5 min and power steering pops up on my dic and powersteering goes out. Dealer wants a grand to fix. I think its pathetic GM doesn't recall this problem. If my problem doesn't get resolved I will never buy a GM car again. People wonder why we buy foreign cars. This is absolutely ridiculous!

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Mar 232009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering fails while driving various speeds. The steering wheel becomes locked and he must use excessive force to pull over to the side of the road. The contact turns off the vehicle and then restarts it minutes later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that a part in the steering column was faulty and needed to be repaired. The contact stated that he would repair it eventually. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- North Port, AL, USA

Mar 092009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering indicator illuminates while driving various speeds, and then the vehicle loses power. The vehicle nearly forces him off the road and he loses control of the steering wheel. A mechanic stated that the entire power steering needed to be replaced and the motor sensor was burnt. The dealer has not been notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Mar 142009

Cobalt

2006 Cobalt lt. I've had this car only a year and a half. The power steering indicator keeps coming on and the steering goes off while driving down the road. I'm afraid it's going cause my wife to wreck. I seen on the internet where there were several hundred complaints for the same problem. It needs to be recalled before someone gets killed.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Feb 282009

Cobalt

While driving the car on a 3 hour trip the power steering went out and the car was very hard to handle and turning a corner was very difficult. It happened several times over one weekend. First thing on Monday I took the car in to be checked and was told the electronic steering motor/module needed to be replaced at an expense of $858.23. No old part was able to be used and the part had to come directly from the manufacturer.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 082009

Cobalt

When driving my car the power steering message comes on my dash with a beep. And then all power steering is lost in the car. Once the car is turned off and re started the power steering message goes off and the power steering works fine until the buzzer goes off again. If you press the button the power steering message will disappear but there is still no power steering. There does not seem to be any variables as to what causes this you can be going 70 mph or 20. It can go off 10 minutes into the drive or 45 minutes into it. I have taken to a local shop they feel there is a short in the dash. They have referred me to take back to the dealer and to contact your site. The dealer is going to do a diagnostic on the car Tuesday Mar 12, 2009. My car is a Chevy Cobalt 2006 with 40 000 miles on it. I was informed that there are many service bulletins on this car and that for such a new car a problem of this type and large repair cost is extremely abnormal and the safety issues of the sudden loss of all power steering is a great concern.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 082009

Cobalt

Sunday, March 8 starting car in parking lot and began to drive but the power steering failure displayed. This is a 2006 Cobalt and should not experience something like this so soon. I've read numerous complaints about the same thing. What is being done about it!"! warranty or no warranty, repair of this should be on the hands of Chevrolet, not me. Where on earth has quality gone and ownership of your work ethic. Who cares about putting the latest and greatest vehicle on the road" how about thinking about the person driving the car! thank goodness there wasn't an accident 5 minutes before the parking lot because the car was on the interstate on a busy weekend.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 212009

Cobalt

On this particular day I was driving North on I55, from joliet to Chicago, without any previous warning while driving about 65mph. The "power steering" warning flashed on the dash and simultaneously the steering wheel became extremely hard. Luckily I managed to gather enough strength and safely steer the vehicle to the closet off ramp. I turned the vehicle off and it was fine again until I was on my way back home and the same thing happened. I took the vehicle in for service but it is under no warranty. After doing some research I see that this is a frequent and extremely dangerous problem. I checked with the dealer but they say no recall is in effect. However, I certainly think that there should be this could result in fatalities. This is a giant problem that shows up without any warning.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Feb 162009

Cobalt

I purchased a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt on 10/06/2007 the car was a prior corporate lease vehicle, with an impeccable car fax history detailing its service records. I did not start having any problems with the steering until approximately 1 month ago and it was intermittent power steering loss. It has now progressed to the point where there is only power steering for the first minute the car is running. I did a little research and contacted a service writer that I know and trust at a large Chevrolet dealership here in Kansas City and he mentioned that he wrote replacement orders for 20 of the steering columns himself within the last year. I took the car in and they did a diagnostic check and sure enough the column needs to be replaced. I feel that a car with under 75000 miles should not have this type of a failure, so I contacted GM and was told the best they would do is 15% discount on the total repair which is $760 plus tax, I feel this is a major slap in the face for a 30 year + Chevrolet customer, not to mention the fact that my daughter is driving this car with my grandkids and it is not safe. I do not have the means at this time to afford this repair. This should have been a recall on GM's part a year ago, the person I spoke to at GM denied that this was a wide spread problem, but obviously after what I've found on this site as well as numerous others, I beg to differ. Please help!!! thank you

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Feb 212009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, I have had this occur 2 times. While driving the electronic steering that is used in this car malfunctioned and the whole steering wheel locked up and the engine started shutting down. This is a dangerous situation because this has happened twice to me while driving, the first time I took it to the dealer they failed to properly fix the vehicle and stated the replaced a computer chip. Four months later this happened again. This final time they had to replace the whole steering column. If this were to happen while driving on the expressway going over 55mph this would have been a life threatening situation. This defect could kill innocent people along with the driver and any passengers as kids in the car. I have had the steering column replaced, however I am doubtful that this issue won't happen again due to the fact the electronic system in the car may be defected.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Jun 152008

Cobalt

Our 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt loses it's power steering. At first it is only intermittent, now it loses power steering within about a minute of turning it on. It makes it harder to steer. We have not done anything to correct the failure because the solution to fix it is to replace the steering column and we can't afford it.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 082009

Cobalt

I just bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss last year and have only put 15000 miles on it and the power steering went out last night while I was going 70mph on the freeway! I researched to see if anyone else is having this problem with Cobalts and found site after site of thousands of people! this needs to be recalled before it kills someone!

- Elko, MN, USA

Dec 102008

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving less than 65 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Within seconds, the steering wheel locked and could not be turned in any direction. The dealer performed a diagnostic and discovered that the power steering column needed to be replaced at an estimated cost of $547. The VIN that was provided was not accepted by the system. The failure and current mileages were less than 73,000. Updated 03-06-09 updated 03/09/09.

- Pound, VA, USA

Aug 012008

Cobalt

There were no events leading to the failure of the power steering in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. It happens everyday, atleast once every three minutes. In order to "temporarily" fix it you have to put the car in park and turn it off and restart the car then in about three minutes it goes out again. Then you have to repeat this. I am not the only one with this problem thousands and thousands of people are having the same problem with 2005 and 2006 Cobalts. You can search on the internet power steering problems Cobalt and you will see. This has been going on for about 5 months because on top of my car note and insurance I can not afford to fix this.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jan 162009

Cobalt

Normal driving, and the eps shuts down, making it hard, or sometimes even impossible to steer. Quite dangerous saying it does it only while driving. Once the car is started and running, it takes approx 15 mins to begin acting up. Shutting down the car resets it, but shortly after, the eps shuts down again eps(electronic power steering). Nothing has been done yet to fix this problem because this is a newer car, and it's basically not affordable right now. Knowing by reading forums this is not only a problem I have, but many others are having with this. With this kind of system being in newer cars, this product should be looked at closer to see if there is going to be an outgoing problem.

- Nappan , 00, USA

Cobalt

I was driving my car at 25 miles per hour and a warning signal was heard and then the digital display read power steering and I couldn't turn the wheel. Got it home, narrowly missing a car, and turned it off. Turned it back on again and worked fine. It happens randomly, and often. Took car to local Chevy dealer, it's out of warranty and Chevy refuses to pay for it. It will cost $971 to fix. Car is unsafe and I am not the only one with this problem.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jan 082009

Cobalt

Driving 35 mph, warning tone came on, power steering warning light came on, steering became difficult. Pulled over shut off ignition. Checked under hood saw nothing obvious. Started car, pulled out all was well for ten minutes then happened again. Same scenario every time it's driven. Repair will be $900 !"!?!? parts are on back order because this is apparently such a problem. Why is this not a recall??"

- Clinton , KS, USA

Cobalt

While driving our 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt a loss of steering control has occurred over 3 times which includes erratic transmission and gearshift noises. If this had occurred on the highway in any of these occurrences a crash would have resulted. After conducting an online investigation there are thousands of owners of Cobalts which have the same problem with the electronic steering and other electrical problems within the steering column. Nothing has been done to correct the problem due to the dealer wanting to charge $2K. It is clearly a manufacturing defect with most dealers stating it is.

- West Alexandria, OH, USA

Cobalt

I just bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls from a dealership. They had it inspected while I waited, at another inspection site, off their lot. I am 4 day out of the 30 day warranty they gave me on the purchase of the vehicle. The warranty expired January 5, 2009. Today as I'm driving through the town I live in, I hear a warning signal and look down at the digital readout on my dash board. It says power steering. I try to turn to go home, and the vehicle will not turn. I almost hit another car. I struggled with great effort, after turning on my hazards to turn it enough to get it into my parking lot. Since then it has occurred five times today. I called the dealership from which I bought it and they said they can not fix it. I bought it from monstre auto credit in manassas, va. They never offered me an extended warranty and only offered to have the guy the general manager knows fix it for me at a deep discount. I cannot even drive it back to manassas because I feel unsafe in driving it a 55 miles per hour and having the power steering give out on me.

- Leesburg, VA, USA