CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

8.0

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Dec 022012

Cobalt LT

Who gets their keys stuck in the car while its running?! I had to unplug the battery to get the car to shut off because the key will not come back passed the acc. Position. Goes to the shop tomorrow.

- , Hillsdale, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Cobalt LS 2.2L

Key will not come out of the ignition. Had to remove small cover under the steering column to use the release button. Took car into the shop to have fixed. $402.00 later, and I still have the same problem. The key ignition only worked for approximately 2 days. Which leads me to a related issue. The gear shift does not lock. Even with the car turned off, the gear shift moves. When putting the car into gear, I do not have to press on the brakes first. Not safe...my granddaughter was climbing into the back seat, hit the gear shift with her foot, and the car started rolling.

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 122012

Cobalt 2.2L

The car was running great with the exception of some brake problems. I pulled into my friends house, put it in park and could not get the key to turn to the off position. After about 20 minutes of several people trying; I had to remove a fuse to get it to stop running. The car had just hit 105,000 miles and had been serviced on a regular basis. I am with the others on this, I can not believe that there has not been a recall.

- , Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Nov 142012

Cobalt LS 2.2L

my 2007 chevy cobalt i constantly struggle with getting the key unstuck but getting it ti turn the car on the past the acc point it started out every now and then now its multiple times daily. i cant believe all the complaints and nothing is being done.

- , Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Jun 012011

Cobalt ES 2.2L V4

The key will not come out of the ignition, I have to press the button under the steering column. the key will not go all the way back to lock the steering wheel only enough to turn off the engine but not to take the key out of it. I am tired of this problem but I am not willing to spend on it since now I found that button under the steering column that allows me to remove the key. I do not know why there is no recall on this if many have this issue.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 282010

Cobalt

Out of the blue, the key got stuck in the ignition of a 2007 Cobalt. Luckily, was able to find online how to access the panel in the steering column and find the button to push to release the key. Called Chevrolet customer service and they said it was not covered since the car is out of warranty - it has about 50,000 miles on it. They said there was not a recall for it either. That seems odd since so many are complaining about it online for several model years. They gave me another number to also call and record the complaint, which will be done as soon as it is fixed and final cost known. The estimate is about $300 right now to replace the shifter. We shall see if that fixes it. I want to know how long they guarantee the fix will last!

- , N Mankato, MN, USA