CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Dec 132008

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that in December 2008, the ignition failed and the dealer replaced the ignition cylinder. March 2010, the contact heard a metal grinding noise while driving. The vehicle was taken a local repair shop where the contact was informed that the front struts, bushings, control arm shaft and stabilizer bar needed to be replaced; the mechanic replaced the bushing. The contact also stated that the front two tires needed to be replaced because of defective struts. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle was outside the warranty and offered no assistance with repairs. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000 and the current mileage was approximately 63,000. Updated 01/12/11 updated 03/28/11

- Brunswick , OH, USA

Apr 272010

Cobalt

The left front speaker started going out (couldn't hear words or music well). Soon after it completely quit working and when it quit so did the right side. It's only the door speakers. The back ones work fine.

- Lobelville, TN, USA

May 152010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a heating core failure which was repaired. The instrument panel also malfunctioned along with the signal sound, seat belts, air conditioning unit, speakers on the driver side door, and passenger side air bag. The air bag was repaired. The dealer advised the contact to take the vehicle in for other repairs. The current mileage was 47,269. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 042010

Cobalt

The key gets stuck in the ignition and drains the battery.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 192009

Cobalt

The gear shift is loose and will not always disengage the key lock. The lights on the gear panel flash off and on. I have already had the dealership replace this once before and it is in the process of going out again. The last time it gradually got worse until I was unable to get the key out of the ignition at all. I sometimes have to move the gear around until it makes a connection and then it will release the key. The first time this happened was in 2008.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

I was driving and the power steering light came on, the all of a sudden the steering wheel was hard to turn, and I was unable to make a right or left turn. When I did try turning, my car almost hit another car that was stopped at the light because I did not have enough strength to turn the wheel all the way. It has progressively got worse and when I took the car into a Chevy service dealer, I was told this is a common problem with the Cobalt and they had many of them coming in for service with the same problem and the whole system would have to be replaced. The cost I was quoted was $1,000. GMC customer service was contacted by the dealership service manager and the dealership agreed to pay a percentage of the repair cost which would still leave me paying $475. I've only had the car for 2 years and purchased it used with $14,000 miles. I was also told that this issue is occurring when and if the car has been jump started because this is a main cause of which triggers the major safety and costly issue. The first question that I was asked of me is: "has the car been jump started with cables at any given time?" this issue has caused some hardship in my family as well as transportation issues for a single mom as myself. I am currently upside down on the vehicle by 7 thousand dollars so trading it in is not an option for me. I am currently paying for a Chevy Silverado as well.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 252008

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt- many problems, electrical comes off and on, car rides like a bucket of bolts, at 50,000 kms front passenger wheel had 1 1/2 inch movement while parked. Very dangerous. Why no recalls for these issues? the fixer of the car replaced a suspension control arm bushing. All kinds of noise, all pot holes I thought the car was going to fall apart. Hunk of junk car. Many safety issues should be investigated. Brought back to the dealer several times for sagging doors on two door model, irregular idol, rattling sounds in the front end to no avail. Thank god I only leased it, they can keep it, it is a hunk of junk. I would never recommend this car to anyone.

- Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada, 00, USA

Jan 032010

Cobalt

My daughter's Chevrolet Cobalt 2007 car's power steering turns-off while driving and makes it a hazard during driving, especially for weaker individuals. The stiffness in steering makes it seem that it is locked. Research online shows that even earlier models have this problem. Chevrolet engineered making power steering powered electronically vice hydraulics and fluids as with most vehicles. And now, we find that there is no recall from Chevrolet and to repair it will cost about $2K. About 1/8 the cost of the vehicle. If were doing the same to a company like Toyota, then we should also look at the Chevrolet Cobalt.

- Severn, MD, USA

Aug 012009

Cobalt

We bought a 2007 Chevy Cobalt on 7-27-09. During the next month, there were several times when my son was driving the car when the power steering would go out, the gauges would go back and forth, the low fuel light would come on, the security light would come on and the car would jerk. If you turned the car off and tried to restart it, sometimes it would not start. On other occasions, the ps and gauges would intermittently go off and during the course of your trip. Most recently, while my son was driving to marion, the ps went off and on 12 times. We took the car to schott bros. In bucyrus on 9-8-09, and the codes it was displaying were somewhat generic, so they decided to replace the ignition switch which did not have any effect on the problem. It continued to act up. We didn't have the ps problem for about 3 months and then it started it acting up again. We took it back to schott bros. Again for service and it was still displaying the same generic codes, and when they contacted GM, they suggested changing the wiring between the ps module and the body control module. However, there was no guarantee that this would fix the problem and it would cost about $400. This is a very dangerous problem and there should be a recall for this ps issue. According to GM's records, this car has had this problem for a long time prior to our purchasing the car and although the previous owner had taken it in for service, they were not able to fix the problem either. Again, I stress that it is very important that an investigation and recall is issued for this problem.

- Nevada, OH, USA

Dec 152009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt while driving the electric system goes haywire. The doors begin locking and unlocking on their own, lights on the dashboard display sporadically, and the dashboard indicator reads a message regarding the power steering. The power steering is then hard to control and it seems the vehicle has trouble accelerating. Problems have been occurring since December 2009 and can occur several times a day to several times a week. The only way to fix the problem short term seems to be to turn the vehicle on and off multiple times. Doing so is not always convenient, such as during highway driving. I feel this is very unsafe and as a women who is 8 months pregnant, with a daily long highway commute-something must be done right away!

- Thornton, CO, USA

Oct 022009

Cobalt

I am very upset at the fact that I just read all the complaints on the electrical power steering in the Chevrolet Cobalt. The same problem I have. I work and pay monthly payments on a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls that is having these problems. GM should do something, or is it going to be when someone dies as a result of this. Steering is a very important component to a vehicle. I refuse to pay the large amount of money that it's going to cost to get it fixed and the dealer can't promise it won't happen again. People invest money into a newer car not to have to pay for problems this early on!. my car evens stalls once in awhile when I first start it and without even mashing the gas you'll hear the ignition run hard for a few seconds like it's starting itself.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 022009

Cobalt

I drive a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. The electric power steering began to click off and on then this past month has gone completely off. It is extremely difficult to steer my car which can lead to an accident and/or harm to myself. I need to get to and from work and can not afford to not drive my car. I called a Chevy dealership and the amount of money that has to go into this is quite a bit. I'm am very upset due to the simple fact that my car is a 2007 and this is something I should not have to worry about right now. And on top of that ever since my power steering is out my engine light is on.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 282009

Cobalt

Powersteering went out my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt.

- Northport, AL, USA

Oct 192009

Cobalt

I purchased a 2007 Cobalt in July of 2007 my car had 43 miles the date of purchase I've had problems with it leaking water in the floor board on the passenger side twice it finally got fixed under warranty, now I'm having problems a year and a half later with my powersteering going in and out when I'm driving that's so dangerous my car now has 40,000 miles on and customer serviced tells me my bumper to bumper is for 36, 000 I can't afford to get this fixed. I've owned my cars for twelve years and have never had any problems with any of my vehicles please help me understand having such major problems like this with a brand new car that I've had for three years. Here's my case number with Chevrolet customer service 71-777593891.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Nov 042009

Cobalt 4-cyl

Motor vehicle defect notification. The consumer stated there are substantial electrical defects with the vehicle which caused it to instantly decrease from 55 mph to 30-35 mph in traffic.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jul 302009

Cobalt

At first the problem would come and go for about two months but gradually got worse. Now, I have no power steering at all - ever. The dash dial gauges go haywire and it feels like my transmission is going to drop out of the bottom of the car!!

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 112009

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt with power steering problems, it has stopped on me several of times on streets and freeways and have been very lucky so far of avoiding and dodging major accidents but I have tried to fix it but I am still having problems with it more then a couple times a month it is unsafe and unreliable.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 012008

Cobalt

I bought my 2007 Cobalt in July 2008, used only as a rental car with enterprise, with 34K miles. Within 2 months, my rotors were warped and had to be replaced. Milwaukee has a terrible problem w/ potholes so I've had to put 4 new rims and tires on it too and an alignment. It still shakes when I go between 45-60mph. Also, the gear shift keeps getting locked in park, like a sensor is broken or something. I have to continuously press on the brake until it gives. And there must be a short somewhere because occasionally the blinkers noise (tick tick) and the left speaker go out, come back on, go out, etc. I've had the car 8 months and have this many problems with it" of course the dealership is charging an arm and leg for repairs that I can't afford but I think they should be responsible for this because there is no way these problems can be "operator error." This is a manufacturing problem! I can understand the tires & rims because I've hit too many potholes but everything else? come on. Anyone else complained about similar issues"

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 152008

Cobalt

Bought the car in August 2006, it had 2 miles on it when I drove it off the lot, currently has 28,500 miles. I had no problems with it until this past year. In March the front speakers quit working and the dinging noise for the door being open was constantly on along with the blinker sound. The blinker was off and the doors were shut and locked but the noise continued. Took to the GM dealership after a week of dealing with it and they kept it for 2 days and tested it, saying that they did notice the problem and tightened the screws in the front speakers. They said that it was a common problem and would go away on its own, was nothing they could do. It went away about 2 weeks later and hasn't been back since.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 092007

Cobalt

There weren't really any events that led to this point - but my car starts basically whenever it feels like starting - I brought it into dealer for help and they won't help me because they can't duplicate the problem it is very frustrating spending time in my car trying to get it started. And it is under warranty and I can't get it resolved - why even bother getting the extended warranty? just a waste of money when the car is so bad I am ready to get it fixed out of my own pocket. I am fed up!

- Kingston, NY, USA