CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Mar 152008

Cobalt

Bought the car in August 2006, it had 2 miles on it when I drove it off the lot, currently has 28,500 miles. I had no problems with it until this past year. In March the front speakers quit working and the dinging noise for the door being open was constantly on along with the blinker sound. The blinker was off and the doors were shut and locked but the noise continued. Took to the GM dealership after a week of dealing with it and they kept it for 2 days and tested it, saying that they did notice the problem and tightened the screws in the front speakers. They said that it was a common problem and would go away on its own, was nothing they could do. It went away about 2 weeks later and hasn't been back since.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 092007

Cobalt

There weren't really any events that led to this point - but my car starts basically whenever it feels like starting - I brought it into dealer for help and they won't help me because they can't duplicate the problem it is very frustrating spending time in my car trying to get it started. And it is under warranty and I can't get it resolved - why even bother getting the extended warranty? just a waste of money when the car is so bad I am ready to get it fixed out of my own pocket. I am fed up!

- Kingston, NY, USA

Jul 072008

Cobalt

Just wouldn't start one day. It's an 07 Cobalt - Chevy new car that I financed with about 20,000 miles on it. I played around with the shifter and it started! now it does it at least once daily. It usually takes about 10 minutes to get it started. The engine will just click and the battery comes on, all the lights etc. It is not life threatening directly - but suppose I get stuck somewhere in the middle of the night with no heat? I brought it to the dealer - it's under warranty. The dealer could not duplicate the problem and I have tried numerous times to resolve this. Today was the last straw because they told me they refused to help me. I don't know what else to do...Chevrolet should pay for the this.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Feb 062008

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph on a snowy road, the vehicle drove across a patch of slush. The contact lost control and the vehicle went airborne. The vehicle struck a guardrail, and then dropped approximately four feet from the interstate to the off ramp. The contact was injured and the vehicle sustained minor damage. A police report was filed. She shut off the vehicle and removed the key from the ignition. Approximately 30 minutes later, the vehicle started on its own. The vehicle was taken to a dealer twice, but they could not determine how the vehicle could start and shut off without a key in the ignition. The current mileage was 19,084 and failure mileage was 18,315.

- West Gardner, ME, USA