CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Nov 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The radio started displaying phone and did not work, I do not have the option to plug in a phone to my car. This happened off and on for a week then on 11/17/2014 I went to start the car and the car would not start, the gauges went crazy and the ignition locked and will not let me take the key out. The anti theft icon keeps coming on and I now have to tow it to the dealer to have it fixed. I have had nothing but problems with this cars electrical system and from reading the other complaints here it seems that GM should be investigating these electrical problems and expanding recalls for these issues.

- Anderson , CA, USA

Oct 282014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to advise when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Mar 052014

Cobalt

First the battery died in the car. After that the car fell apart. The keys became lodged in the ignition and would not come out. The stereo lost all and complete power. Fuses were checked for the radio none were blown. As a result of the keys being stuck in the ignition, it drained power from the battery and I had to turn the interior overhead light to on and the car would then regain power and start. All except the radio. The recall for the ignition cylinder was announced and I had the car serviced at a GM dealer. After the repair of the ignition cylinder the keys still were lodged in the ignition switch. I was told the switch lever needed to be replaced. How could a dead battery cause all of this at once. The radio and electrical issues happened directly after the battery died and never returned back to normal even after purchasing a brand new battery.

- Arvonia, VA, USA

Aug 012009

Cobalt 4-cyl

Letter from congressman johnson on behalf of constituent re 2007 Cobalt defective ignition switch. The consumer stated he began experiencing problems with the ignition switch in August 2009. The vehicle would shut off, and he had difficulty turning it back on. The vehicle was repaired at a cost of $ $192.01.

- Wintersville, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle still has not been repaired by dealer for ignition switch replacement. Reno guthrie Chevrolet 501 w hanover St new baden, il 62265.

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Dec 192013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Had power steering replaced 2011 recall. In Dec 2013 power steering locked up again going down the road. Took to the GM dealership next day. They stated that I had to replace power steering column. I asked them if this was ordinary for these cars he said no that he would contact GM. Later that day he called to say GM would not fix the problem I would have to pay. I drove the car slowly and pray it didn't do it again. Today power steering went out again but this time all the gauges on car went crazy. Fuel gauge dropped to empty but I have full tank security light came on and when I tried to make it down driveway it was making funny noises.

- Hurt, VA, USA

Sep 082014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Parked vehicle and entered house. Roughly two minutes later the neighbor was banging on the door saying the car was on fire. The vehicle was not overheating or smoking when we left it. We used a garden hose until the fire department arrived and my husband disconnected the battery. The fire seems to have began at or near the fuse box. It also appears to have burned into the fuel line. Without the presence of our neighbors and living two blocks from the fire department, it could have been much worse.

- Greensboro, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall issues. The consumer stated she had problems with starting and turning off the vehicle, as the key would not come out of the ignition. A problem also developed with the gear shift. The ignition switch was replaced. However, she experienced the same problem, again. There was a vibration, coming from the front on the vehicle. Updated 12/17/14.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 052014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle lost power steering and the power steering, service engine, and service air bag indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted; however, the indicators remained illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle would not shut off, but the key was able to be removed from the ignition. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the transmission module was replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle never experienced ignition failure until it was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Sep 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after repeated attempts, the key was able to be removed from the ignition, and the vehicle also became difficult to place in park. The failure occurred after being repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000. The recall remedy was insufficient, and the vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage.

- Pineville, WV, USA

Dec 282013

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to trouble with vehicle starting. Also, during accident steering locked up and brakes malfunction. The vehicle was totaled.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Dec 092008

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car has a hard yank after coming to a stop and starting off. Knocking noise coming from rear of car since day one of purchase. Vibration in accelerator and gear shifter. Lights on interior of car dashboard goes on and off. Problem still happening today and the tsm was replaced as well, as they always say they cannot duplicate the problem. Check engine light has never came on at anytime the problem happened. It happens after car is driven and heated up. Only happened when long trip over 50 miles, now since ignition has been changed on call back. Problems has worsened lights on and off, transmission hard shift when driving short trips as well as a constant vibration. Knocking coming from gas tank side of car was mainly during cooler weather now happened when day was above 90 degrees. Electrical problem with vehicle I think and has caused many problems and even deaths. Do not think it was keys ignition. I seriously think is in the entire electrical system. Problem should of been fixed when 1st reported, but they only reset the trans computer.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to waiting several months for parts to complete recall.

- Monroe, NJ, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt

I am extremely upset with my 2007 Chevy Cobalt, I do not want to complain, however, something must be done. For as long as I have had the car I have had a number of problems. However, the dealership failed to acknowledge the warranty. I needed to replace multiple keys and door handles. Recently. The car has failed and is sitting. I find this ironic since my warranty recently ran out. The timing chain jumped and bent the valves. This is a very serious repair and is very costly. I have had everything check regularly. There was no warning and I nearly wrecked my car, as I was driving when it happened. I recently received another recall for the ignition switch. The car was recalled before for a similar issue. Prior to the engine issues recently, I had noticed an ignition and steering problem. However, now I cant even move the car to get the recall issue resolved. This vehicle was my first car, the car is nearly new and was when I bought it. This should not have happened. Especially so close to the warranty expiration and with no warning. There was no way to prevent this from happening. I was not aware that Cobalts had zero tolerance. This should not be the case. I would not have bought the car if I knew of these potential problems. I have faith that GM will help to resolve these issues. Thanks so much.

- Hollsopple, PA, USA

Mar 042014

Cobalt

The contact owned a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle shuttered and stalled without warning. As a result of the failure, another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle, causing it to spin around multiple times. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was able to be restarted but, once it was turned off, the key became lodged into the ignition switch. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Baton Rouge, ME, USA

Jul 072014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Mailout customer request 11/05/14

- Perkiomenville, PA, USA

Jun 172014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving along, getting off of an exit ramp onto a main hwy, I reached over to turn my defroster off, when the wheel jerked to the left, I attempted to gain control but never got total control although I did get back onto the road. A few seconds later the car jerked again and this time I realized the steering wheel was not moving-it was locked up and I could not turn it. I then hit the guard rail on the North side of the hwy and then came across to the South side hitting the concrete bridge railing. The ignition switch recall had supposedly been corrected but the ignition locked up on this vehicle.

- Prentiss, MS, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated she has been on a waiting list, since April 2014, due to lack of parts. For over a month, the key has been getting stuck in the ignition.

- Vandling, PA, USA

Aug 062014

Cobalt 4-cyl

8/6/14 I drove my car to work and when I got in it to go to lunch it wouldn't start I purchased a brand new legend battery from Napa on 2/13/14 got it jumped drove it to Napa the battery was completely dead they gave me another one the next day it did the same thing the whole car lost power and cut off while I was about to make a left turn. My locks on the doors are jumping up and down, my speakers on the doors are going in and out. My ignition switch has not been changed yet they tell me it takes 8 weeks before the part gets in. I am frustrated about this, this is not safe and I bought this car brand new paid for and I'm having all kinds of issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Received a recall notice from the manufacturer regarding a defect with the ignition. Contacted dealership to make appt. No part available. Have contacted dealership regularly and no part available. It is now August and part is still not available.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA