Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Feb 252014

My door locks are electric locks and they lock on their own and when I am driving they tend to go up and down on their own. This has been going for three weeks. Also the sound for my signal and seat belt warning is not clicking nor chiming, the left speaking went out at the same time the sound stopped.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 222014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The engine turned off all by itself while I was driving around a corner, causing the car to go off the road. I was going about 35 mph, and applied the brakes as fast as I could, but the car went up and over the curb, across the sidewalk, and both front tires went down off the steep edge of the sidewalk's far side into the mud. The part of the car body immediately behind the front tires was almost touching (way less than 1 inch above) the edge of the top / edge of the sidewalk. I couldn't reverse back up and over the sidewalk edge. A tow truck was called, and pulled the car straight back and up/over the edge of the sidewalk and onto the road. Some sort of dust cover thing from up inside the passenger-side wheel well had been torn loose during the crash off the sidewalk edge and was still laying in the mud. After I restarted the car and drove home, the steering / suspension (I cannot tell which) made a creaking and grinding sort of noise when turning, and I could tell from the extensive bouncing at even little bumps in the road that both front struts had been damaged.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Feb 152014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While backing out of a parking space and shifting into drive, my 2007 Cobalt lost power steering. A chime sounded and the dash lit up with an error message about power steering failure. I've previously taken advantage of the recall for the assisted power steering rebuild in 2010, yet the component has failed again! GM wants me to pay for a tow to the dealership and pay for a diagnostic. I will pay for a tow, but I will not pay for them to tell me that the assisted power steering has again failed. If I take it to the dealership, and they find an error code indicating that the assisted power steering has failed, I believe they should not charge me at all. Furthermore, they should replace - not rebuild - this faulty, ill conceived device that has such poor design.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Feb 252014

My daughters car caught fire. No one seems interested because she made it out alive. I am having issues with finding out who is at fault. I am requesting some answers.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 272014

Cobalt 4-cyl

There are a lot of recalls on these vehicles right now, everytime I call to see if mine is recalled for ignition trouble they say no. I want mine replaced, at GM's expense. We just had the blinker switch replaced and there are times the ignition seems stuck. How can we know if there is a recall when we purchased used?

- Pollock, LA, USA

Feb 212014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 201,000.

- Elberton, GA, USA

Nov 112013

Cobalt 4-cyl

When parking car I was unable to retrieve key from my ignition due to the fact that the car would not properly shift into park.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 242014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While accelerating moderately from a stop, the engine completely died while in first gear. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and turned on the hazard lights to alert other motorists. Each time I tried to restart the engine, it sputtered and shook violently and then died. I kept trying for about five minutes and on one try the engine finally started and stayed running. The RPM gauge remained at zero even though I was able to accelerate and drive away from where I had initially pulled over. After about a minute, the RPM gauge started functioning normally. Please advise. Thank you.

- Albany, NY, USA

Feb 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

This is my second E-mail to you about my timing chain breaking and destroying my engine which I had to replace at my expense ($5,100) because GM would not pay for the repairs. I am resending this because of the recent recall on Cobalts ignition switches that they knew about 10 years ago and did nothing. The timing chains on these models (Cobalts) have been breaking for years according to 3 mechanics I spoke to whom all said there should have been a recall years ago just like the ignition switches they ignored up to now. Please look into this defect because I have also herd from 5 other Cobalt owners who have gone through the same problem as me.( not a coincidence).

- Beachwood, NJ, USA

Mar 102012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The ignition switch wouldn't turn when I inserted the key, the key got stuck. I had to play with it for it to finally turn. I took it to a car locksmith and had another key made for the car which cost me $100. Yesterday, October 8, 2013 I begin to encounter the same problem all over again. The key gets stuck in the ignition switch and the ignition switch does not turn. I have to jiggle and play with it for the key to finally turn and the car turn on. I have read that numerous people have posted very similar complaints with the Chevrolet Cobalts. It appears that this may clearly qualify as a recall issue. I should not have to go through this time and time again.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Mar 162013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and I have 89000 miles on it. I have been unable to remove the key for the last 3 months. I know there is a recall on 2009 Chevy Cobalts but there isn't one for 2007 models. I have read many complaints about this problem with 2007 models and the cost is $425 to get it fixed. Because I cannot afford that amount, I have to press a little button in the steering column.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 092013

While braking, the vehicle's security system warning light lit up, tachometer dropped to zero, and power steering warning briefly flashed. Restarting the car turned off the warning light and car drove fine. Two weeks later the incident happened again while driving on the highway; again restarting the car solved the issue. The power steering recall was performed on the vehicle a week after the second incident. A month later, the incident occurred again, while braking. Several minutes later the gauges started going up and down and the information display shut off. Restarting the car did not clear the warning, and car jerked with changes in tachometer. Restarting the car a few hours later cleared the warning. Car was brought to a mechanic the next morning, and the incident could not be duplicated nor did the computer read an error occurring. The error recurred moments after leaving, and was brought back to mechanic who stated the front lights were also turning on and off. Restarting the car several times cleared the warning, but information display no longer turns on properly. The most recent failure mileage was 75,500 miles.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Aug 012011

I received a recall on the power steering. I called them and told them that my power steering had gone out twice on the car while I was driving it. They told me to bring it in immediately since I was experiencing problems. I brought it in and they fixed it promptly but ever since I have been having other electrical problems with the blinkers not clicking off, the dashboard lights coming on and off. I also had a problem with my gas tank leaking. I had someone to fix it because it was pouring gas out and I didn't have the money to pay what a dealer would charge. Several months after I had it fixed I got recall in the mail for the faulty gas tank. I also had a wheel bearing that went out but the car was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it free of charge.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Dec 212012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Edited partial news entry from the deadly accident: South Idaho crash kills two, including nampa woman; ipt (Idaho press-tribune) newsroom; gooding county--a nampa woman died after a car accident in gooding county Friday (12-21-12), according to Idaho state police. A burley man also died in the two-vehicle crash, which took place around 6:45 P.M. on interstate 84 about 35 miles outside mountain home. Three others from burley were injured. Young woman, 22, of nampa, was driving West on the interstate in a Chevrolet Cobalt. Authorities aren't sure why she lost control of the vehicle. She drove into the median and overturned. Her vehicle continued into the eastbound lanes of travel, colliding with a Nissan maxima driven by 23- year-old young man of burley. Young man died at the scene of the crash. Young woman was transported by air ambulance to a boise hospital, where she later died. Three passengers related to young man, all of burley...were taken by air ambulance to a boise hospital. All drivers and passengers were wearing seatbelts. [source: - icle_7E5ce650-4C9A-11E2-8D7F-001A4bcf887A.html] because the roads were clear and dry, the Idaho state police speculated that the young woman was perhaps somehow "inattentive" in her driving. But the fact she was not on her cell phone or otherwise engaged with any other known distraction and the fact that her wrist was snapped back resulting in a serious compound fracture suggests that the vehicle violently and suddenly jerked out of her control. We know the Chevy Cobalt vehicles were under investigation for "steering problems" by the NHTSA and the investigation was closed in July 2010. With these fatalities perhaps it is time to review your previous findings. Updated 09-18-13 updated 9/24/13 updated 09/25/2013

- Eagle, ID, USA

Mar 142013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Was driving on city street approximately 20 mph when it felt as if I were driving on rocks. The T/C light went on. I stopped the car, turned the ignition off and looked under the hood. Found nothing. Turned on the ignition on again. Returned to origin I had left less than a block away from incident and parked and turned off the car. It had stopped by now. I turned on the car again and proceeded to attempt my drive on same road. The car began to do the same thing, this time it did not stop. The car would not accelerate and the engine made a rattling noise. I had to call a tow truck to take it to my mechanic. The car was diagnosed as the throttle body was the problem. I had a used body throttle installed and on 03/16/13 I took the car to a Chevrolet dealer, miami lakes automall to have a new throttle body installed. The dealer refused to give me warranty on it. On Wednesday 07/17/13 the T/C light came on and got message, service traction on the display window. I took the car to the same Chevrolet dealer where I had the new throttle body installed. When I turned off the car the light turned off. The car was checked and they claimed they didn't know what was wrong and couldn't help me.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Sep 062010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering, all electrical, gauges, and lights would flash, steering covered under recall, but have now had a few electrical problems since.

- Jenkinsburg, GA, USA

Jul 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Recently my 2007 Cobalt that I have only had for about a year started twitching out on the dashboard. I started the car to find the gauges fluttering, the security system light came on, it flashed power steering and low fuel ( car has full tank) as well as check engine. I pulled it into to drive where it clunked hard and there was a clicking sound coming from the shifter as well as the power steering was out. I disconnected the battery cables and it reset the computer with no problems thus far. The car has been ok for the last day and a half until today when very quickly the power steering light flashed and went off.the driver side speaker stopped working but flashes on randomly as well as the radio buttons don't work from time to time. I noticed a lot of recalls and similar problems with other peoples vehicles. I would like to know what is causing this electrical issues and have them fixed, I feel my safety is at risk, especially if the power steering shuts off again, this time while I am driving.

- Harrison Twp, MI, USA

Jul 062013

Vehicle was recalled around 2010 for steering and fixed. Since then numerous electrical failures, power brakes, and steering failures have happened. Vehicle has been in dealer and numerous other shops over the years for same problems. Chevy dealer (kerry Chevrolet in alexandria Kentucky), where car was bought kept saying they did not know what was wrong. Even after hundreds of dollars spent to fix, problems eventually came back ( electrical failure, gauges fluttering, radio flashing, steering lock, power brake failure). This past weekend, gauges started fluttering, steering locked up while driving and car went into a spin running off the road. Chevrolet dealer has always passed all these things off as not their problem. I would like any info on what can be done about this. We are now afraid to have vehicle fixed again and drive it fearing steering may lock while driving at a faster speed. At least this power failure happened at a low speed and no one in the other lane during spin. Next time might not be so lucky. Please give us any info on what can be done. Thank you.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Jul 012013

Speakers doesn't work and turn blinker doesn't chill..... it can cause a incident....that's why I only driver that car..... and the gas gauge it stop working below one 1/4 or sometimes at all...the tcm it stop working and will not shift out from first...

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The speedometer is not working...tranny is not shifting to any gear....and check engine is on.

- Dallas, TX, USA