Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Jun 142013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Check engine light with the code 0410. On Friday I took my car to a shop because my car started to smell like electrical wires were burning and that is when I noticed the my engine light was on. When the shop checked it had a code for 0410. I looked this code up and I had said there was a recall on this code but I noticed that my car was not on this list.

- Spencer, OK, USA

Jun 062013

Cobalt 4-cyl

My engine light came on and had it checked and several circuit failures are coming up. Car doesn't shut off when I pull key out.

- Brockport, NY, USA

May 132009

Have had many issues with the front steering, dealership claims nothing found. Now it will not pass inspection due to the steering knuckles. Radio was replaced 3 times!!! door locks do not stay locked/unlocked. Dealer states they never found any problems with it. Vehicle now has 110,000 miles on

- Oswego, NY, USA

Oct 232007

I bought my car new, every since I have had it they have been a problem. First the outside temperature didn't work so I took it back to the same place I bought it from which is a hour drive one way & they said they replaced it. Next the doors started leaking air so I took it back to the same place they took all day but suppose to have fixed that problem. Now the rubber seals on both back doors keeps falling off finally fixed them. Total upset because they fixed one thing and messed another up. I start taking my car to rameys, were they fix the outside temperature which the other place was suppose to fix. At less than 35,000miles the rotor had to be turned. I take it for a oil change explain that the speed and tack hand moves on it own you when the engine is cut off & they said they didn't see it do anything.I take it back to the rameys for the next oil change and at this time the recall had been issued on the steering & I told them that sometimes its difficult to steer & again they say nothing is wrong well as time has gone by it is getting worse. Now the doors are all sticking. I got out of my vehicle & noticed my light were still on, they never turned off until I twisted the nob that worked for a little bit then it got to were they wouldn't even go off if you twisted the nob so my husband took out the fuse out now I don't have anything but bright lights. A few weeks later the signal lights stop make a sound I thought that my bulb was blown so I checked them all & they all worked but the odd thing is sometimes when I am driving they will make the sound. After going to rameys& getting the answer nothing wrong, I took it to a private garage were he thought it was the switch itself, he installed a new one & that didn't solve the problem is board in the fuse box.the speaker on the drivers side don't work either & the trunk slams down when you let go of the trunk door.

- Raven, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Noticed that the car turn signals were working, but there was no ticking sound inside the car. Noticed that the front left speaker went off and on. When it worked, the turn signal sound would return after going over a bump, but then stop working again. Then the right front speaker stopped working. Learned that all audio warning devices in the car are connected to the front speakers. If a child in the back seat removes his or her seat belt, there is no auditory signal to the driver of this danger, same if the car door is opened, etc. Contacted GM last week and they said they would help with repair costs, which I had done at their dealership, but now they are saying I was given the incorrect information from their consumer office and they will not pay the almost $200 bill to replace the speakers. This is a safety issue as all auditory warnings come through the front speakers of this car. Also I was never notified of a recall for a leaking gas pump or even the existence of this problem in this make and model.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 042010

The warning chimes for seatbelt, low fuel, headlights, key in ignition, turn signals, ect.. do not work.

- Vincent, OH, USA

Feb 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after inserting the key in the ignition, all of the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the power steering assist failed. The contact was able to drive the vehicle and the power steering assist functioned as normal, but the warning lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised that the electrical ignition failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that she started to notice the failure after having recall repairs performed on the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000. The current mileage was approximately 101,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- East Helena, MT, USA

Jan 282013

The door locks on the car keep unlocking and locking while driving or stopping. It happens approximately 50 times every time I drive. The locks will also lock and unlock while the car is off and locked leaving it vulnerable to theft. I have to keep my car in my garage for fear of theft. I am unable to drive it anywhere. This is dangerous for anyone who has children as they will try and open the doors. I have had to replace the electrical wiring a few times. It is getting costly to no avail.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 242011

Headlights will not turn off. I have to unplug fuses to prevent battery from draining. I was told by dealer that this was a failure of the body control modular. Upon further research, there are many other people with this issue and it is apparently a design flaw. Water is able to get under the cover and flood the BCM, causing it to fail. Will cost over $500 to repair. I am a broke college student.

- Denton, TX, USA

Jan 162013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The traction control light has turned on several times before but usually goes away. While hitting my brakes on the freeway to exit, my traction control light turned on today. I was going about 60 and slowing when it happened. The vehicle jerked violently causing me to slam forward in my chair and almost causing the person behind me to hit me. Once I stopped at the light and hit the accelerator again, it again jerked. I parked my car and shut it off. I turned it back on and put it into drive and immediately the car jolts. It continues to do this each time I switch from park to drive and from braking to driving.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

May 062011

Driving down the road and the airbag on the passengers side shuts off with a passenger in the seat. Service airbag light goes on. Shut the car off and restart then it will be fine for a while. I think it is sensor on the seatbelt retractor.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Nov 192012

Cobalt 4-cyl

First off 10,000 miles after my warranty ended the clutch went on this car. Since then I have had to replace the clutch 3 more times, replace the transmission and then rebuild the transmission. Whoever at Chevy decided to use atf in a manual transmission care due to their own design flaw of a smaller whole thereby creating synchos which were not properly lubricated should be shot. So here we are again for annual transmission The clutch went out again. This time we changed it and since all the frame bolts were stripped out from the "licensed mechanic" who did it the last 3 times, we had to take it out the top. Next came the new starter that had to be put in and now it is all back together, all fuses checked out ok, the battery is ok, the starter checks out of, but....the car will not start. Dash lights indicate that there is a power steering issue and I am out of gas, both of which are incorrect so something is wrong and I am out of ideas as to what on this stupid car that I never should have purchased and will never purchase again because it is junk!!

- Palmyra, WI, USA

Dec 072012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition switch and she was unable to shift gears since the shifter failed to move. The contact mentioned that the failure prevented her from turning off the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- St Petersburg , FL, USA

Nov 012012

The safety chimes for the turn signal, seat belts not working, keys left in, lights on work through the left front drivers door radio speaker. This speaker seems to go in many cars. The rest of the speakers work fine but are not connected the safety system. There are many documented examples of this on line. This is a safety issue. What if a child is left in a car while the keys were left in the ignition. The car is started and the child sends the car into the street resulting in many fatalities. What about the driver that forgets to fasten seatbelts and don't get the warning chime. This is not a easy fix for the do it yourself as the door needs to came apart to access. This needs to be a safety recall and GM needs to correct before a tragedy happens.

- Dubois, PA, USA

Mar 042012

Car will not turn off, key goes to acc then wont turn any farther. I have to push the shifter button before it will release the key.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 282012

Battery died in car, had to jump the car. Car started fine, steering seemed to be a little tight. After a few minutes of driving the tightness in the steering went away. However upon arriving at home the key would not come out of the ignition, and the shifter would shift into any gear easily without having to press in the shifter button. Also in attempts to remove the key the steering wheel is now locked all the way to the right with the wheels locked in the right position. Was able to remove key from ignition by locating the emergency key release switch under the steering column but car will not start now as key wont turn all the way, and shifter still shifts into any gear without having to press the shifter button. Car was parked front first against building so I have no idea how I will get it towed out of there to a shop to fix it! I suspect the shifter cable assembly at the end of the shifter which is made out of plastic is broken. Will verify when its taken apart. I have seen at least 50 other cases on the internet where this piece breaks and causes the car not to register it being in park and will not release key from ignition. GM recalled certain years for shifter problems but not the 2007 unfortunately!

- Logansport, IN, USA

Sep 042012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Key wont come out of the ignition, stay in the acc position. Ive seen a lot of these complaints online.

- Spring, TX, USA

Apr 042011

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for NHTSA recall campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering: Electric power assist system) for the power steering. The contact stated that the remedy failed to repair the problem and as a result, the gauges stopped working. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who decided to have the circuit cleared, but that the failure still occurred. The contact stated that the air conditioning failed as well. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 66,690.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 132012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The left front speaker quit working. I then noticed that the turn signal chime did not work. When I was trying to trouble shoot the problem I also noticed that all chimes (door open, key in the ignition, etc) was not working. Based on my research, it appears that the Cobalt has a long history of this issue and it also appears that GM doesn't want to address it.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 122012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there were several attempts before the ignition key would turn into the off position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who replaced the ignition tumbler. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The malfunction caused the battery to weaken and required a charge. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Savannah, MO, USA