CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Apr 072016

Cobalt

First I experienced fule excel ration. Called manufacture told me I was experiencing a known problem but my VIN was not on the recall list. Took it in for ignition recall shortly after my head lights dim or one goes out then it comes back on then the other one will go out or dim took it to machanic they fixed it but it is now doing the same thing then the power steering sundenly went out almost had a collison light never came on. Restarted the car everything worked then power steering light came on took it to machcanic turned the car off to have him check it he pulled it in to the shop and light was not on. So he told me I had to bring it back when light came on in order to run a test. Light never came back on then 5 days ago lost power steering again almost had an accident. If I am at a complete stop in traffic or at a red light the car will excilerate with out me touching the gas when I break to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of me the rear end will fish tail. I am 60 years old this car has almost caused me to have several accidents. It is unsafe the manufacturer admitted when I took it in for the ignition switch that there were issues with the promlems I have been experiencing but my VIN was only on the ignition recall. They told me the dealer would fix them at my expence. I get 950. Dollars a. month and have cancer. I have no means to pay for the defects in 2012 my daughter bought me the car and paid $10,000 for it. I have no other means of transportation to my doctors ect. Please help me. While driving at night my head light will dim or one will completely go out. Causing me to almost miss the exit and run off an embankment.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 152016

Cobalt

Gas line drip rear left passenger near rear tire discovered after parked.

- Collins, OH, USA

Feb 152016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was an abnormally strong fuel odor coming from the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the vehicle was leaking a large amount of fuel. The contact also stated that the vehicle had trouble starting. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Feb 232016

Cobalt

Initially smelled fuel while car was running (but not when turned off); a few days later, check engine light came on; immediately took to shop. Repair shop informs me that the fuel lines are rusted, leaking, and need to be replaced -- a serious safety issue! I did some searches online and found that numerous other owners of 2007 Cobalts are reporting the same issue with rusted, leaking fuel lines. General Motors needs to acknowledge this as a serious safety problem, issue a recall, and reimburse owners who have had to undergo this expensive repair.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 232011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that a strong fuel odor was present in and around the vehicle. There were no warning lights illuminated. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 71,939.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Jan 072016

Cobalt

The gas lines cracked and can smell gas constantly.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Dec 272015

Cobalt 4-cyl

A severe fuel leak detected on the ground after encountering gasoline vapor smell. This was determined to be defective fuel lines. I was notified by servicing dealer that the entire fuel delivery lines would need replaced at a cost of $700 plus. I believe these lines are located close to the exhaust / emissions systems. This is described and seen as an explosion/ fire hazard.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Dec 112015

Cobalt

We noticed a gas smell in the car, both on the road and stationary. The smell became more noticeable in late November, early December. My mechanic found a crack in the hose connection at the fuel pump. It broke off when he touched it. He replaced the fuel pump and hose lines.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

Nov 162015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while parked, there was a strong odor of fuel. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel line was leaking due to corrosion and needed to be replaced. A dealer repaired the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- Normal, IL, USA

Oct 212015

Cobalt

I received a letter, #12191, from GM in March 2013 stating special cover of my 07 Chevrolet Cobalt lt for a condition "where the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump cracks and leaks fuel or fuel vapors. Fuel vapors, in the presence of an ignition source, could potentially cause a vehicle fire." At that time I was not experiencing the problem. However, on October 21, 2015 I started notice a powerful fuel odor from underneath the car when park after running. I remember the letter, #12191, that stated my car was covered, so I called the local Chevrolet dealer, jim trenary in troy, mo, and stated the problem and letter. The service technician stated they would raise the car up and check for fuel liquid leaking from the car. I told them that at this time only fuel vapors were leaking, and he said if that the case then it would not be fixed. This is in violation of the statement S in letter #12191. I also called the GM recall center and was told to just take it to dealer to tell me they wouldn't fix it. This resulted in me dropping the fuel tank, only to discover that indeed the supply line on the fuel pump was cracked. I order an ac delco mu 1970 direct oem replacement pump, and installed the unit. I contacted GM and they are refusing to cover the cost of the fuel pump. Basically GM is refusing to fix a special coverage of my car that could potentially lead to a fire that they said they would fix but are refusing to fix. I just wanted to make the NHTSA aware of what GM is not doing, which is fixing cars that could potential catch fire in presence of an ignition source. Their own words not mine.

- Winfield, MO, USA

Oct 022015

Cobalt

My car started smelling like gas whenever I shut it off and I noticed it was leaking. Because I live in Maryland my car isn't covered under the recall for a defective fuel pump. Current recall for the fuel pump in other states is #090226. Why is this recall only in certain states? does it take someone dying for this recall to be performed in other states before either GM steps up or the government steps up and does the right thing. I will never again buy anything Chevrolet or GM. They knowingly sold people cars that were piles of defective crap. Now I have a car that I don't drive and the trade in value is virtually non existent, and most car dealers won't give you a dime for these defective cars.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Aug 242015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there were strong fuel fumes emitting outside and inside the vehicle. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline) and the dealer stated the vehicle was not safe to drive and needed to be repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 108,708.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jun 182015

Cobalt

A plastic component in the fuel return cracked causing a gas leak that was unrecognizable at first. First noticed the scent a week after adopting a cat and assumed it must have peed in the car or something. At first, only noticed it after driving more than a few minutes and parking the car. When the car was left in park overnight, it would not smell in the morning, however once it was driven any distance, the smell would become apparent by the time the trip was done. The smell was faint and seemed to come from the passenger side of the car, but was not strong enough to be narrowed down more than that. Eventually the scent was strong enough that it could be recognized as gasoline and by that time it was clear that it was coming from behind the passenger seat. Upon lifting the back end to look at the car, the underside was wet with gasoline and the source of the leak could be isolated to the top of the tank. Took it in to be checked and fixed to find out it was a crack in a plastic component of the fuel return and the way the component is designed, the entire fuel pump had to be replaced. Received a notice from GM about potential fuel leaks and submitted my information only to learn that the current bulletin pertains to the fuel tank itself and all other service bulletins related to this particular issue are for different car batches sold mostly to warmer climate states so GM will not reimburse for the repair.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 032015

Cobalt

Fuel lines are corroded to the point that they are leaking. Fuel/gas odor can be detected around vehicle.

- Dow, IL, USA

Sep 242015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed a strong fuel odor coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Westminister, MD, USA

Sep 152015

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I have been experiencing strong gas odor from outside the car after driving and inside my car while driving.no huge leak but the odor is making me sick :( I know there is a recall but I live in Maryland....can someone please help. I have 2 young kids and having to pay to fix this will be extremely hard. Especially when lots of these cars are having this issue. Please make Maryland a part of this recall better yet all states.....since these cars are in all states thank you.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Jul 152015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at various speeds, a strong fuel odor was detected behind the vehicle. The contact also stated that fuel leaked heavily from the rear of the vehicle while it was in motion. The check engine light was illuminated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel valve and the fuel pump was damaged and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and also sent the contact additional information about the failure. The dealer refused to do the repair due to the vehicle's mileage being more than 150,000. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000.

- Pikeville , TN, USA

Aug 012015

Cobalt

The fuel lines were leaking. Apparently there are two fuel lines wrapped in an encasement with a vent tube. The car only had about 78,000 miles on it when this hazard was discovered. It is only a 2007, but the fuel lines are not made well at all. Because they are in that encasement with the vent they rust quickly. It caused a very strong odor, and gas was visibly leaking out of the back end of the car. The driver had headaches every time after driving the car. The car was barely starting as well. After putting the key in and turning it, it would take awhile before the car actually started. The driver took it into the Chevy dealership where it was purchased thinking it was the cracked fuel tank inlet control valve special service problem that had just been issued in August 2015. That would have meant it would be fixed with no charge to the driver. The dealership said it was neither related to that issue nor to another special service issue dealing with leaking gas that the driver had already gotten fixed in April 2014. The dealership said it was instead related to the fuel lines rusting. The dealership said it was very dangerous to be driving and that it would cost at least $659.38 to get it fixed. The driver eventually got it fixed somewhere else for $250 less. In the meantime the driver continued to get headaches and feel very unsafe driving the car. The driver knows of other Chevy Cobalts with this exact same issue. It should be looked into further before a serious incident occurs. Chevrolet should take responsibility for this immediately and pay for it to be fixed on these new 2007 cars!

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 102015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a strong odor of fuel emitting under the vehicle, which was progressing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 122,000. Updated 11/09/15

- O Fallon, MO, USA

Jun 102015

Cobalt

In June 2015, we smelled fuel under car. The next day we took the car immediately to our mechanic who replaced the fuel pump at a cost of $531.85. In August of 2015, we received a letter from Chevrolet that indicated our Cobalt may have a cracked fuel tank inlet control valve. The letter said that the vehicle may emit a strong fuel odor from the rear of the vehicle which is what we detected. The letter indicated we could be reimbursed if we submitted the requested documents if we already had the vehicle repaired. I submitted all documents to our local Chevrolet dealer but was denied reimbursement.

- Ferguson, MO, USA