Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

May 242010

My car was running and getting warmed up, then suddenly the locks start going off and on, repeatedly. It has continued to do this and the car will not stay locked. It does this whether it is off or on now. It is constant. The power locks no longer work and you can't use the door handle to unlock the car from the inside, you must manually pull the lock "up" and to lock the car you must manually push all the door lock knobs down, but that doesn't matter because it will not stay locked. In addition to this electrical issue the front speakers go off and on at random. Also, the turn signal remains on even after the full turn has been made. The car will randomly shut off while it's being driven. It doesn't matter if you are going 70 mph or 20 mph. Also the power steering went out on my car, that was recalled and has since been replaced, but the steering still malfunctions. My car was leaking fuel the summer of 2012, after the fuel pump module was replaced the gas tank had to be replaced months later because the car continued to leak gasoline. There are many other countless issues with this car. I am surprised and fortunate that there haven't been any injuries or fatalities while operating this death trap. I will never purchase another GM.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 232013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car was hesitant to start; after getting the car started, smelled fuel strongly. Saw fuel leaking from rear drivers side of car. There is a previous recall for my state, but the car was originally purchased in New York so they will not cover the repair.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 102013

After being sick from the Chevy Cobalt (headaches and vomiting) due to the strong fuel smell, I took the car into a Chevrolet dealership for a recall of the fuel pump modular, at the time I left the dealership my check engine light was off. A few weeks later the strong fuel smell was back, I then took my car to 2 independent mechanics and advanced auto parts. All 3 said the same thing, I had a leak due to the fuel system. I was told to just take my car back to the dealership and they'd replace it free of charge as it was their fault and a Chevy issue. I went to the dealership the next day, and acted encountering a rude and condescending employee I was told they wouldn't fix my car which has a crack in the fuel tank. My car has never been in an accident, so how does this happen? I looked online and this is a common problem in association with the recall of the fuel pump, but Chevy isn't doing anything about it.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 082013

Started to smell gas from my car. Had to replace fuel pump was leaking fuel. Looked up recall for fuel pump after friend told me of letter received for her car. I am from Missouri but the recall was for cars sold in other states. Had same issue with fuel pump that was on recall. I never received any information about recall for this though my friend, also from Missouri, with newer model did.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Aug 012011

I received a recall on the power steering. I called them and told them that my power steering had gone out twice on the car while I was driving it. They told me to bring it in immediately since I was experiencing problems. I brought it in and they fixed it promptly but ever since I have been having other electrical problems with the blinkers not clicking off, the dashboard lights coming on and off. I also had a problem with my gas tank leaking. I had someone to fix it because it was pouring gas out and I didn't have the money to pay what a dealer would charge. Several months after I had it fixed I got recall in the mail for the faulty gas tank. I also had a wheel bearing that went out but the car was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it free of charge.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Jun 152013

I've owned my Cobalt for a little over a year and it is at 75,657 miles. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, which is now covered by the recall, but I didn't have a certified Chevy dealership replace the part so it isn't reimbursable. Now the fuel feed pipe has a leak and sprays fuel on the engine and electrical connections to the backside when the vehicle is running. I am not sure what would cause this to leak as it doesn't rub against anything nor is it leaking on the under side where road damage could have occurred. It seems apparent that Chevy has some major design flaws with their fuel system and quality parts.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Apr 302013

Cobalt 4-cyl

A couple of years ago, I had to replace the fuel pump and another part that goes with the fuel pump on the Chevy Cobalt. I did not have the money to take it to a dealer so a friend replaced the parts for me at cost. (yes he got the fuel pump from the dealer) after receiving a recall letter on these parts I took it to the dealer and they were going to do exactly what I had already paid to have done. I found my receipt from the mechanic and filled out the form that was sent with the recall letter and mailed them in. Instead of being reimbursed for having it already fixed I am being told that since I did not take it to a dealer I cannot be reimbursed. I personally do think this is fair. I could not afford $800 plus dollars that the dealer or authorized mechanic wanted to do this work. I guess I can understand rules are rules, but you should also consider that not everyone is able to afford the outlandish prices dealerships and certain mechanics are charging for repairs.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

May 082013

I have been smelling fuel vapor order in my car for a while and had received a recall letter for it. So I took it in to tom gill Chevrolet and they had replaced my fuel pump for free. At the same time I had the engine light come on and it read "P0442 evap system small leak detected" figured the fuel pump was related. After they have replaced it, I still had the engine light on and it came to be the same problem. At the same time, I been having performance issues and every time I parked the car I still smell gas as I get out of the car. I got my brakes replaced and while they were up there I checked the gas tank and found out that the gas tank is leaking where the filler hose was connected to. I have never had anyone or myself messed with the gas tank since I bought it new off the lot in 2007 till tom gill Chevrolet in florence, ky had recently did work on it. So I took it back to them the next day I found out about the gas tank and had them take a look at it, and they have told me that the gas tank is cracked and needs to be replaced. Priced it to be $1000. I have explained to them why they did not detect this before and they had told me that the leak was from the top of the tank and there was no way of telling that the leak came from where the filler hose was connected to. The thing is after looking under my car at the dealership and thought about it for a minute, and I know just by looking that you can distinguish from the top of the tank and the side of the tank where the leak was coming from. I come from a family of mechanics and know well enough that they were blowing smoke at me and covering up their issues. I have also investigated this issue on the internet and have found that other people have had the same problems with this vehicle as I have and also been through the dealership and got the same ring around like I have.

- Union, KY, USA

Dec 122012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car is involved in safety recall 12190 to replace the fuel pump module due to fuel leaks. I had the fuel pump replaced because of this leak but GM won't reimburse me, despite the fact that there have been several recalls on the fuel pump systems in Cobalts. The auto shop also confirms the problem is that which my personal recall was designed for.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Jul 112012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact smelled a fuel odor while driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline ). after the repair was performed, the strong fuel odor persisted inside of the vehicle with the illumination of the engine warning indicator. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Apr 092013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Took vehichle to dealership regarding fuel pump/return port crack recall which was covered under recall, however, was told that my fuel tank was also cracked and needed to be replaced all together. Was told this was not covered or related to recall and cost would be out of my pocket (close to $700), including cost of the rental vehicle. I was told that if I did not replace the fuel tank, fumes would still be emitted and could potentially cause a vehicle fire. I have read other complaints with similar conditions that resulted in having to replace the entire fuel tank as well. I feel this needs to be investigated as a related issue to the current recall. I feel the investigation should be extended to include how this recall impacts the entire fuel and exhaust system.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Mar 122013

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. The contact stated that after refueling, fuel seeped from the fuel tank filler seal. The contact added that in order to avoid the failure, the tank could be filled to no more than half of a tank. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Apr 042013

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received NHTSA recall campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, GM stated that the vehicle would not be repaired because the vehicle was not registered in the correct state. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Landrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel pump on my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt began leaking August, 2012. I checked internet and discovered there was a recall issue with the fuel pump on this model of vehicle. I consulted the Chevrolet dealer and was told recall was only effective for Cobalt vehicles sold in certain southern states. Since I had to pay to have fuel pump replaced, I had pump replaced by an independent mechanic. I phoned Chevrolet national rep in December, 2012, to question why fuel pump was only being recalled in 'hot weather' states when temperatures were consistently in the 90's in the Chicago area in the summer of 2012. I was told that Chevrolet was looking into the matter and would let me know their decision by the end of January, 2013. Of course, I never heard from national Chevy rep or Chevy dealer I purchased the vehicle from. I am filing this complaint because I feel that issuing a recall for only certain states is unfair (discriminatory?), especially since the pump problem I had with my vehicle was exactly the same problem described in the recall notice. Also, if this issue is related to warm temperature (climate) situations, I believe the temperatures in the Chicago area in the summer of 2012 would have certainly met that requirement. At minimum, I am requesting reimbursement for the cost of the replacement fuel pump assembly @ $310.89. Ideally, I would like to be reimbursed for the total cost of replacing the pump, which was $577.32. Lastly, I would like to state that I'm notifying NHTSA of this situation because it is a serious safety issue. With fuel visibly leaking from the defective fuel pump, the chance of the vehicle catching fire from a spark or impact is dangerously elevated. I believe a nationwide recall on all 2007 Chevrolet Cobalts is in order to minimize the chance of serious injury or death occurring from this situation.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Strong gas smell inside car and under car can see a small amount of fuel coming out of the top of the gas tank.

- Coldiron, KY, USA

Dec 032012

Cobalt 4-cyl

There was the smell of gas in the car. When I took it in. The repair shop said that the top of the fuel was leaking and that it had been recalled on other models but not mine. Further it did not appear to be an ordinary wear and tear problem. The part is E3726M fp module assembly.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Nov 152012

Cobalt 4-cyl

We started to smell gasoline everytime we walked by or got into the car. About a week later friends would say your car smells of gasoline. We took car to a local GM dealership asked if a problem or recall existed on the 2007 Cobalt. We where told that no problem or recall existed at that time. Two GM employees walked around the car with us and we figured the gas to be leaking near the fuel tank. Finances where an issue at that time, as payments are still owed on the car, finally in February of 2013 leak seemed to be worse. Took car to a local garage and paid $ $427.58 to replace the entire fuel pump assembly for a pinhole / small crack in a fuel line attached to the fuel pump. Driving the car in this condition was very stressful, thinking of a fire or explosion. Just seeking a refund on this issue, thanks.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Feb 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Started smelling gasoline so I took the car into ed bozart and they said that my VIN was not included in a recall for the fuel pump and that it would cost $700 to replace it and the filter. The service person said that there were recalls for the fuel pump but my VIN number was not included. My car only has 33,000 miles on it and it should not have problem until 75,000 to 124,000 miles. I would like to see what I can do to recouple my expenses.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Feb 162013

Cobalt 4-cyl

On 02/16/2013 while my car was parked attention was brought to a substance leaking from my vehicle upon further investigation it was determined to be gas leaking out of my gas tank. I took my car to Chevy because I discovered that other people had this same problem and that there had been a recall. The dealership then informed me there had been a recall but not for my VIN.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 123,000 and the current mileage was 144,000.

- Texas City, TX, USA