CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Oct 052012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel pump lines are cracked and leaking fuel. The recall in place does not include my VIN number. Its obvious that it should. What to do?

- Galena, OH, USA

Sep 272012

Cobalt

I started smelling gas. I took it to my mechanic who told me my fuel pump is leaking and is bad. There is a recall on the fuel pumps of 2007-2009 cobolts only in some warm weather states. I don't understand why there isn't a national recall because and kind of spark could start a fire.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Sep 152012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While parked, the contact attempted to start the vehicle but the vehicle hesitated to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the battery would have to be replaced. The battery was replaced however, the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician advised the contact that the plastic around the fuel pump was fractured, causing a fuel leak in and on top of the fuel tank. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Belton, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I first noticed a faint smell of gas as I would drive the car. Over a period of about 2 weeks, it got so strong I would be nauseous by the time I got to work. My car also had difficulty starting. Since my warranty had expired, I went to my mechanic and not the dealer due to a better price for the work. He discovered a crack and I had a fuel leak, which he promptly fixed. I have the receipt and documentation for the work. Now there is a recall, but not in my state. It's the same problem. What can I do" should I notify General Motors or wait and see if I do get a recall" any information would be appreciated.

- Niles, OH, USA

Sep 162012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ss. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, he could smell gasoline being emitted abnormally. The contact noticed the vehicle leaking gasoline and performed repairs personally. While dismantling the fuel tank, it was found that the fuel pump had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The failure mileage was 103,000 and the current mileage was 103,600.

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 222012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was leaking fuel abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump had developed a crack and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 96,000.

- Essex, MD, USA

Aug 202012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed, she began to smell gasoline in the cabin. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the fuel pump module assembly had failed similar to NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 and 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was 83,303 and the current mileage was 83,403.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 222012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Noticing strong odor of gasoline. After being driven, the odor is very strong within the car. Odor is also outside and very strong. Can be smelled every time entering or exiting vehicle. Odor remains even when vehicle has been off for several hours. Checked for drips/leaks and could not locate. VIN # is part of recall data base but recall "doesn't apply" to my car because of what state I live it ("?").

- Beaver, OH, USA

Sep 052012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that gasoline fumes were emitted into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact discovered a fuel leak under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel pump had a leak and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 71,000.

- Springfield , MO, USA

Sep 152012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While parked, the contact smelled an extremely strong odor of fuel inside and outside of the vehicle. There was also a small amount of fuel that leaked onto the ground. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent auto shop for diagnosis. The defective fuel pump was replaced. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) however, the contact's VIN was ineligible for repairs under the recall and the vehicle was not registered in the states mentioned in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Rocky Mount, VA, USA

Jun 172012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnose that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 34,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 142012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Raw gas smell from driver's rear side of vehicle. Low gas mileage and bad performance.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jul 262012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt was purchased new February 2007. My vehicle only had 24,800 miles on it when I started smelling gas in July of this year 2012, this year. I took my car to get a oil change and the mechanic told me there was a leak under the vehicle and to have it checked out by a mechanic. That it was a dangerous situation. I went home and checked on line about gas leaks on a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and found out that there was a recall on these model cars in 2010. I was never notified about this dangerous and hazardous situation. I also learned that the state I purchased my vehicle(in Maryland) was not one of the states for the recall. I called my nearest Chevrolet dealer and told him of this problem but I was informed I would have to pay for the repair myself. This is outrageous!!! the fuel pump was cracked and it was the manufacturers defected part. A fuel pump for this type of car should last at least 60,000 miles. I babysit for a living and there is a small child in my vehicle almost everyday. This could of caused someone to lose their lives over GM's neglect. Well needless to say I parked my car for 2 months until I had the money to pay for GM's problem. So now I am out of money to have something fixed that was no fault of my own. I feel GM should reimburse everyone who had this problem regardless of what state the vehicle was purchased in. I am informing all of my friends and family of this and telling them never to buy a GM car. This is a terrible way to run a business. They are putting peoples lives in danger.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Aug 272012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My vehicle has a fuel leak. Identified by a mechanic as a cracked fuel pump, which is the exact recall for the 2007 Chevy Cobalt. Chevrolet is refusing to implement a recall on my vehicle. This vehicle is damaged and highly explosive due to a manufacturers default.

- Irving, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

About a month ago the car would not immediately turn on when starting. It always starts when attempting a second time. A strong gas odor was noticed both inside and outside of the vehicle around this time. GM has recalled this vehicle (2007 Chevrolet Cobalt) in 5 states only, but the problem has been reported in a ton of states, including Virginia.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 302012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while parked fuel fumes were emitting into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle she noticed fuel leaking from underneath. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated two of the fuel lines were fractured. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Feymore, IN, USA

Aug 232012

Cobalt

There is a recall on this issue but only in certain states, Delaware is not one of them. (NHTSA campaign id number:09V419000) I had to have the fuel pump replaced because it leaked fuel which is the same issue under the recall. If the problem is the fuel pump why would it matter what state your vehicle is registered in? I'm sure there are many more complaints on this and I hope that you will look into it further. I spoke with GM and they will not cover my expenses.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 252012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle and the fuel gauge read low when it was actually full. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system). The failure and the current mileage was 132,000.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Aug 282012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while traveling 20 mph, there was a strong fuel odor emitting from the outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign number 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 88,000

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Aug 232012

Cobalt

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel was leaking from the fuel pump module valve. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel leak was coming from under the vehicle and gas smell from the interior and exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel pump module valve needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was 97,000.

- South Chesterfield, VA, USA