CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

8.0

1. manual release under steering wheel (1 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Dec 282010

Cobalt

It happened very suddenly, no warning. I tried to turn off my car but I couldn't get the key out. I spent ten minutes shaking the wheel, making sure my tires were straight on, pushing the break, jiggling the shift - nothing. I was able to use the manual release under the steering wheel that allows me to get the key out but I hear this only works a few times til that breaks too. Every single time I try to turn off my car this happens. To find the release, look under the steering wheel for a small (about 3 inches) black panel. Somehow pry this off. The release is a while button inside towards the upper left.

My car is barely over 50,000 miles and I treat it well. No warranty is going to cover the 600 dollar bill waiting for me, which is grossly unfair considering this is clearly an issue of shoddy parts and manufacturing. First there was the recall on then fuel line, then the recall on the power steering. Now this. I can't wait to see what will break next.

If you have this problem, give the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration a call. When enough people complain, the NHTSA can require a(nother) recall or put pressure on GM to make a decent American car. 1-888-327-4236. I called the Chevy Hotline too (1.800-222-1020) and gave them my issue, which they "promised" me that they would look right into. They also told me they hadn't had any complaints of this happening. One simple Google search shows that is a lie. I used to really love my Cobalt but I probably will never buy another Chevy car again. The Chevy hotline didn't even offer me the tip about the manual release - they told me to "try stepping on the break really hard". Thanks.

- , Mankato, MN, USA