CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Jun 112016

Cobalt

The defect: No audible warning chime when the drivers door is opened after turning off the ignition and leaving the key in the cylinder. There is also no audible chime when the seatbelt is not connected while driving and the turn signals make no audible sounds when on. All audible sounds are played using the vehicles sound system. I saw there has been a recall issued for other GM models with similar problems. This problem is common with this make and model and other similar GM vehicles. My chimes haven't worked right for awhile now. A quick google search shows this is a on going problem with GM radios for a long time. A recall has been issued for newer GM vehicles with similar problems General Motors recalls Chevrolet sonic, trax and spark over radio compliance issue read more: gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/Chevrolet-sonic-spark-trax-radio-compliance-recall/#ixzz4boc2C3P3

- New Franklin, OH, USA

Mar 032015

Cobalt

Defective keys GM changed metal in keys which cause keys to bend and brake. GM offers free lifetime replacement of keys and refuses to voluntarily correct defect. Filed complaint with Indiana attorney general greg zoeller file no. 15-cp-60325 tara soto garcia vs. GMC/Chevrolet motor. Received reimbursement of key program and tow but not for loss of day pay or cost to remove broken keys from locks. Sauers; laporte has documented numerous complaints from customers due to defective GM keys. I am requesting a recall of this defective product the company knowingly continues to produce, market, and supply customers.

- Laporte, IN, USA

May 152015

Cobalt

The both front speaker quit working. That the turn signal chime did not work either this after take mi car to the dealership cause something about power steering recall

- Ukiah, CA, USA

Sep 112015

Cobalt

My 16 yr old son was driving in a cul-de-sac when he was about 3/4 of the way thru the curve his steering failed and he hit a light pole. He stated that the steering wheel froze up on him. He couldn't turn the wheel. We took the vehicle to Chevy dealership. They stated that the recall work was already completed. Then why are we continuing to have this problem? my son is suffering from whiplash and is going to chiropractor visits twice weekly.

- Raymond, OH, USA

May 262015

Cobalt

When I driving there is a super strong smell of gas, it has the same smell even in park. The smell is so overwhelming. It like a gas can sitting on my lap while driving.

- Amelia, OH, USA

May 172015

Cobalt

Smell gas very strongly and gas is coming from the top of the gas tank.there was a recall for this vehicle model in 2009. Now it is closed. No longer open. What can be done about this problem?

- Elba, AL, USA

Mar 052014

Cobalt

First the battery died in the car. After that the car fell apart. The keys became lodged in the ignition and would not come out. The stereo lost all and complete power. Fuses were checked for the radio none were blown. As a result of the keys being stuck in the ignition, it drained power from the battery and I had to turn the interior overhead light to on and the car would then regain power and start. All except the radio. The recall for the ignition cylinder was announced and I had the car serviced at a GM dealer. After the repair of the ignition cylinder the keys still were lodged in the ignition switch. I was told the switch lever needed to be replaced. How could a dead battery cause all of this at once. The radio and electrical issues happened directly after the battery died and never returned back to normal even after purchasing a brand new battery.

- Arvonia, VA, USA

May 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have called my local deal about a month ago to have this part replaced. Turns out they don't order the part until you call. Regardless I have been waiting a monthand there is no indication when the part will be available. I am currently driving about 30 miles a day to work on highways and expressways I am a nervous wreck about this problem I fear the part might fall out while I'm on one of these roadways and I'll have an accident. I am following their instruction regarding the key but I still don't feel safe. Don't you think GM should be giving us loaner cars to drive until they are able to correct this problem? this is not the first recall on this car and GM needs to be more proactive about the safety of their customers.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Apr 092014

Cobalt

Received notice of recall. Took my car to dealership service center. Still have not heard anything in regards to the part being available. I took everything off the keyring as suggested. Since then I have locked myself out of my home and car. This has been a terrible inconvenience for me. It is easier when my keys are together for sure! I am a patient person but for goodness sakes! I cannot keep worrying about locking myself out of car and home everyday for who knows how long. Please!!!!!! when are the parts going to be available?

- Loveland, OH, USA

Cobalt

Ignition instability. After a new battery, two new starters, new electrical fuse box I am still having trouble starting my car. It sometimes starts and sometimes it won't start. It sometimes shakes violently when I try to start it. I turn it off wait a few minutes and then it will start but the engine light comes on. The car has had 3 diagnostics and been in the garage 4 times in the last month trying to figure out what's wrong. I have only owned it for 10 months. It has left me stranded numerous times and continues to even after all the money I continue to put into it. I really don't feel safe driving it since the recall in regards to the ignition issue. Even before the recall I felt that the ignition switch felt loose. The problems I am having all track back to the ignition. It has fried two starters and a fuse box. I would like a loner car.

Mar 102012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The ignition switch wouldn't turn when I inserted the key, the key got stuck. I had to play with it for it to finally turn. I took it to a car locksmith and had another key made for the car which cost me $100. Yesterday, October 8, 2013 I begin to encounter the same problem all over again. The key gets stuck in the ignition switch and the ignition switch does not turn. I have to jiggle and play with it for the key to finally turn and the car turn on. I have read that numerous people have posted very similar complaints with the Chevrolet Cobalts. It appears that this may clearly qualify as a recall issue. I should not have to go through this time and time again.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 232007

Cobalt

I bought my car new, every since I have had it they have been a problem. First the outside temperature didn't work so I took it back to the same place I bought it from which is a hour drive one way & they said they replaced it. Next the doors started leaking air so I took it back to the same place they took all day but suppose to have fixed that problem. Now the rubber seals on both back doors keeps falling off finally fixed them. Total upset because they fixed one thing and messed another up. I start taking my car to rameys, were they fix the outside temperature which the other place was suppose to fix. At less than 35,000miles the rotor had to be turned. I take it for a oil change explain that the speed and tack hand moves on it own you when the engine is cut off & they said they didn't see it do anything.I take it back to the rameys for the next oil change and at this time the recall had been issued on the steering & I told them that sometimes its difficult to steer & again they say nothing is wrong well as time has gone by it is getting worse. Now the doors are all sticking. I got out of my vehicle & noticed my light were still on, they never turned off until I twisted the nob that worked for a little bit then it got to were they wouldn't even go off if you twisted the nob so my husband took out the fuse out now I don't have anything but bright lights. A few weeks later the signal lights stop make a sound I thought that my bulb was blown so I checked them all & they all worked but the odd thing is sometimes when I am driving they will make the sound. After going to rameys& getting the answer nothing wrong, I took it to a private garage were he thought it was the switch itself, he installed a new one & that didn't solve the problem is board in the fuse box.the speaker on the drivers side don't work either & the trunk slams down when you let go of the trunk door.

- Raven, VA, USA

Jan 052011

Cobalt

I tried to open the driver's side door, from the outside, and the handle broke off. I am not a person of unusually great strength. The car is less than ten years old. The winter conditions on January 10, 2011 in the great northwest were nowhere near as cold as other parts of the country. This door handle should not have failed due to the age of the car, the weather, or my opening the door in the usual manner. The outside door handle of the 2007 Cobalt needs to be made stronger. This is a safety hazard that needs to be addressed before a life is lost. Should a person need medical assistance and another door handle fails, a death could occur.

- Gold Bar, WA, USA