CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 14 of 29)

Mar 032010

Cobalt

Loud rattle from front end, thumps when hitting any bumps, no matter how small. Rattle/vibrate noise from passenger side when traveling 40+ mph. Car wanders. Thumping and hesitating when braking.

- Middlefield, OH, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt the problem started happening driving down the street, out of no where the power steering went out making it impossible to steer. It happens virtually every time the car is driven... as a result the car must be slowed down as quickly as posssible, pulled over put in park, , restarted. And then start on mission again!!! nothing has been done to correct the problem, as it has started as of the recent.. we called Chevy, they have no recalls, I am sure it is somthing that we can not afford.

- Ft Myers, FL, USA

Apr 112009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 45 mph, there was a clicking noise and the power steering light illuminated then the steering wheel locked. It became very difficult to turn the steering wheel and maneuver the vehicle onto the emergency lane. She turned the vehicle off and on after driving and within a few minutes, the failure occurred again. The dealer confirmed that the failure was caused by the power steering. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 80,713.

- Omaha , NE, USA

Jun 262008

Cobalt

I crashed a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. I lost control of the vehicle and hit a utility pole. I feel like this could have been due to the power steering defect.

- Leighton , AL, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt - when driving the power steering locks up aprox every 10 minutes now was longer periods of time. I have to put the car in neutral if not able to make it to the side of the road and quickly restart the car. This is going to get me killed eventually since I travel in traffic! there is a potential recall but the dealerships are denying any reported problems.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Sep 012009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Approximately six months after he noticed that the steering wheel was loose and before the steering failed and the power steering light illuminated. There was also a noise in the steering wheel. He took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer reset the computer, but the failure was not corrected. When he took the vehicle back to the dealer he stated that there was nothing to be worried about. The failure mileage was 32,000. The current mileage was 40,000. The VIN information was not available.

- Lagrange , GA, USA

Feb 152010

Cobalt

My 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt has had the power steering go out on it a few times since it started in Feb 2010. I bought this car new from a dealership. I have had it looked at and told there is no problem. However it continues to happen. I have read numerous complaints from others with this same problem and would hope that Chevy would look into this and fix it.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Feb 142010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driver was changing lanes on highway in a 2007 Chevy Cobalt when her steering wheel froze up on her. She could not correct steering and her brakes seemed to lose power as well. She hit a concrete barrier, her car went airborne and started rolling. She was ejected about fifty feet. Vehicle was a complete loss. The auto insurance company won't investigate due to her car being just 12,000 miles over warranty. (economic loss rule) the car is still being held for further investigation per request of the driver. Vehicle never had trouble before this. Driver was severely injured spending 10 days in hospital, 2 of those in icu. Driver had complications due to injuries, now on round the clock iv's at home.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

I was driving and the power steering light came on, the all of a sudden the steering wheel was hard to turn, and I was unable to make a right or left turn. When I did try turning, my car almost hit another car that was stopped at the light because I did not have enough strength to turn the wheel all the way. It has progressively got worse and when I took the car into a Chevy service dealer, I was told this is a common problem with the Cobalt and they had many of them coming in for service with the same problem and the whole system would have to be replaced. The cost I was quoted was $1,000. GMC customer service was contacted by the dealership service manager and the dealership agreed to pay a percentage of the repair cost which would still leave me paying $475. I've only had the car for 2 years and purchased it used with $14,000 miles. I was also told that this issue is occurring when and if the car has been jump started because this is a main cause of which triggers the major safety and costly issue. The first question that I was asked of me is: "has the car been jump started with cables at any given time?" this issue has caused some hardship in my family as well as transportation issues for a single mom as myself. I am currently upside down on the vehicle by 7 thousand dollars so trading it in is not an option for me. I am currently paying for a Chevy Silverado as well.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Cobalt

Yes, I would like to report that our 2007 Chevy Cobalt lt with 40,000 miles on it is failing 1st the powersteering goes out and almost causes us to crash. 2nd the keys our stuck in the ignition also the electronic reader is continuously blinking we have called the Chevy customer care center and the results were not in our favor I guess we need to do something about it can you please help us.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

The power steering on the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt I drive has suddenly stopped working about 5 or 6 times. If I can safely turn the car off, and restart it, the power steering starts working again.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Feb 072010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving over an hour at 60 mph the power steering warning light illuminated. When she turned the vehicle off and on so that it would reset. The dealer was called and stated that they would diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 49,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 242010

Cobalt

I had been out of town and had driven 200 almost non stop, interstate travel all day, when while driving on the interstate my power steering went out. It became difficult to keep my car steady and had severe difficulty following the twists of the road as the wheel was very difficult to turn, even just to change lanes, or follow the curves of the road through road work. I had to swerve to miss a truck that swerved into my lane, and almost crashed due to the fact my wheel was so difficult to turn. I was able to make it to the side of the road, so I stopped, turned off my vehicle for a few minutes, turned it back on and worked fine. Went 4 miles, and it went out again. I drove another 60 miles and it didn't come back on. I have 58000 miles on my vehicle. I was told my vehicle is no longer under warranty so any work done to it will be out of my pocket.

- Falkville, AL, USA

Oct 212009

Cobalt

Electronic steering failure on 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Started in Oct 2009 power steering does not work: This happens daily after you drive it a mile or so. I replaced the electronic steering in Nov 2009 the car drove fine until Jan. 2010 now the second electronic steering has gone out also. I still have the original electronic steering column, we nee a recall on this because I changed the part once and I can not afford to do it again. Also, this is very dangerous!.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

My power steering goes out multiple times per trip. The power steering failed light comes up on my screen. I put the car in neutral and start the car and its fine for about 2 minutes and it goes out again. Chevy dealer says they have never heard about it. I almost ran into my brick subdivision sign this morning because of it. If this problem is not fixed soon, I hate to say it but something tragic is going to happen to someone that is very weak and old that can not control the car. GM needs to do something about this now!!!!!!!!!!

- Niceville, FL, USA

Dec 202009

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and I am writing this complaint due to loosing the power steering on my car. The power steering is electric so it was hard for anyone to figure out what was going on with my car, I had to take it to the Chevy dealer and they knew exactly what was going on. The power steering went out and the power steering light came on, on my dashboard. I restarted my car and the power steering kick back in, but after that one time, the power steering would go out every three seconds and there was nothing I could do but restart the car no matter where I was once the power steering went out. I have a 6 year old son and this scared me extremely badly. I am a single mother who works daily to provide for my son, and other family members, it is imperative that I have my vehicle. Unfortunately the dealer had to keep my car and the insurance company does not give you a car while your car is in the shop, the funny thing is neither does Chevy, although they knew what the issue was they would not provide a car for me to use while they had my car. This also happened right before christmas, so the christmas money I had saved for my sons christmas went into getting my steering fixed which cost me $600. So needless to say, there went christmas. And according to Chevy I had to pay the entire lump sum before I could even move my car, so I had no choice but to pay the entire amount. I am very disappointed in Chevy for this issue, my sons safety is utterly important to me and I only got this car because I was under the impression it was a safe car, had I known about this power steering issue I would never have chosen Chevy in the first place.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 242010

Cobalt

My 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt has steering wheel problems. Everytime I turn on my car power steering flashes about a minute or so after and immediately the wheel is very hard to turn. This makes it difficult to turn in any direction and even to change lanes. It is so hard that I cannot park correctly and I am scared to even try to parallel park because the last time I tried I hit another car. I do not understand why this issue is not being dealt with immediately because it is putting people in unbearable situations. I was told that I could only get it fixed at the car dealership where I purchased the vehicle from but what they would charge is beyond what I can pay. Something needs to be done now about this problem because it can only lead to more disastrous events. I vote for a recall immediately!!!

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 222007

Cobalt

Event: Just driving alone look down at the message board and it says powersteering failure, and just like that the powersteering was gone. I was able to maneuver the car over to the side of the road, turn the ignition off and back on which worked for about 2 min and the problem recurred. The car is very difficult to steer without powersteering and the way the problem occurs could easily cause a accident I would think after only 39,000 mile that part would not be worn out. The problem still exist, I have no other transportation. Just driving on alert hoping someone will take notice of the issue.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Feb 242010

Cobalt

Steering shakes alot on rough roads and sometimes when applying the break. We brought the car in to the dealer a dozen times. They said they do not know what the problem is. We brought it to different dealers and they said it might be the I-shaft we have not fixed this yet because we are still looking for a for sure answer what it is. My future mother in law has a similar car but different year and has the same problem. The started of the shaking both cars had 32000 miles on them. Since the start both cars has replaced struts, control arm and tie rods. And we are looking to replace them again. What is causing this shaking?

- Menomonie, WI, USA

Feb 062010

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt. Power steering intermittently goes out while car in use. Happened 1st time, then 2 weeks later happened again. Now(3 weeks after 1st incident) happens daily, several times a day. Turning the ignition off and restarting fixes the problem. Taking the car into Chevy dealership for repair on Friday. Now not driving the car in case more serious issues could happen.

- Greenville, OH, USA