CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 15 of 29)

Feb 042010

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt with roughly 45,000 miles. Just recently, the power steering has begun to fail. I will be driving down the highway and, all of a sudden, the steering wheel gets very hard to steer and the "power steering failure" notification beeps. This has happened 3 times within the last 3 weeks. The first time I was making a right-hand turn and felt the wheel "pop". the other 2 times I was just driving down the highway without the wheel turned at all. I have called my local Chevrolet dealer and they claim to have never heard of this problem before. I have looked online and have found many people who are complaining about the same problem but say that their Chevrolet dealers do not know what is wrong. The 2007 Cobalt has an electronic power steering system without the standard hydraulic system and no power steering fluid. This is an extremely dangerous problem. I am driving down the highway at 60+ miles per hour and all of a sudden cannot steer my car. I have to pull over to the side of the road and shut the car off. This seems to reset the computer that runs the power steering and it will resume working once I restart the car.

- Butler, PA, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - power steering failure. Happens more often when weather/car is warm, particularly when weather is over 75 or 80. Most often when car is warm, like during long trips or when driving many places in one day (errands). I have had as many as 5 occurrences on days I am running many errands. The dashboard warning dings and power steering light comes on, the power steering fails and you cannot control the vehicle. Normally, you can stop the car, turn off the ignition and restart the car and it will work again for a while. Once crashed into my own carport pole, once ran over a curb. No one was hurt, and there was no serious property damage, only a bent support pole on my own carport, but I was lucky I was going extremely slow when this happened. It this happens at a higher speed, or in oncoming traffic, it could cause serious injury or even death. I took the car to a mechanic and was told the entire steering column/system would have to be replaced at a cost of over $2000. I am unable to fix this due to the high cost. This car is a 2007 with only 38,000 miles. Should not have major problems like this.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 202009

Cobalt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electric power steering failures. My power steering goes out while I am driving. It comes back on after I restart the car. I went to the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do unless they were driving the car when the power steering fails. This has been going on for 4 months. I feel unsafe. I will not allow my daughter to drive the car. I bought the car for her. Goodwrench has been unresponsive. I need help to fix this problem. It should not happen. I feel like they are sweeping it under the rug.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Feb 222010

Cobalt

2007 Cobalt, the power steering just goes out at any speed. It make the car almost impossible to control.

- Monclova, OH, USA

Nov 152009

Cobalt

I purchased a 2007 Chevy Cobalt new. At about 8,000 miles, I noticed at low speeds, when I turned to the right, the steering column would make a noise and jerky motion. I took the vehicle to the dealership. They replaced the intermediate shaft, but the problem returned after only 300 more miles.

- Belton, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Steering failure.

- Prince George, VA, USA

Feb 192010

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The vehicle was purchased new in 2007. She noticed that the key was hard to release from the ignition. In February 2007 the power steering failed under normal driving conditions. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The current and the failure mileage were 16,000. Updated 07/19/10 updated 07/21/10

- Hilliard , OH, USA

Feb 212010

Cobalt

My wife's 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls power steering went out after restarting the car everything is fine for now. After searching online I see that many others are having the same problem. And in all cases they are being charged just for diagnostics and nothing is being done to fix it. This is a problem that could get my wife hurt being as she would have trouble steering it luckily I was driving it at the time. It is the Chevy dealer now having the fuel pump replaced which was recalled and we will see what they tell me about it.

- Paris, TX, USA

Jan 122010

Cobalt

We live in lumberton Texas and we had to go to shreveport, la to take a friend of mine to the dentist. On the way home while we were in town the power steering light came on and my husband had trouble steering it around curves and turns. Not knowing that it was an electric power steering, he pulled into the store to get power steering fluid. He couldn't find the place to put it so I looked at the book that came with the car and found out. Well when we got back in the car to leave it was fine at first, then it started it again and all the way home. We have noticed that when you turn the car off for a while and start it back it does ok for a little while. We have problems with it everyday. Once the power steering acts up it stays that way until you turn the car off and let it cool off but after your driving it again its starts all over. We have not had an accident yet and hopefully we don't. it is very hard for me to drive it but I have to use it sometime to go places.we have not had it fixed yet and were told it could cost alot to get it fixed. We don't have the money now to get it fixed. Another complaint is well actually was the gear shift. It would not go all the way into park, I guess, and you couldn't get your keys out of the ignition. We have already had that fixed though. There are other complaints I have but probably nothing that would be cover under safety issues. This car is a lemon in my book.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Feb 202010

Cobalt

-the contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions. There was a sudden loss of power steering. The driver proceeded to a service station which required greater force to be applied to the steering wheel. The engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Grand Bay , AL, USA

Dec 022008

Cobalt

Purchased used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Nov 08 35,503 miles. Check engine light came on 2 Dec 08. Dealer switched out cam sensor fuse. Check engine light came on end of Jan 09 in germany. German mechanic turned light off. Check engine light came back on a few days later, but continued to drive. Power steering started to fail Sep 09. Car intermittently lost power while driving. Pulled over, turned key to off, waited a few minutes, turned the key, and the car started back up with no problem. Power steering kit replaced end of Nov 09. Check engine light came on again. Power steering motor replaced middle Dec 09. Check engine light came back on again code P0230. Replaced fuel pump relay Jan 10. Car continues to lose power intermittently while driving. Check engine light came back on code P0230. Chevrolet dealership switched out fuel pump relay 15 Feb 10. Chevrolet dealership suggests replacing ECM if check engine light comes back on. Check engine light came back on 17 Feb 10 and car continues to lose power intermittently while driving. Scheduling appointment with Chevrolet dealership to diagnose.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

We bought it new and was having trouble with steering wheel locking up they said there was no defect now we are having trouble with the powersteering failing and we bought the steering column kit(385.06) and had it installed and it still is doing the same thing, when it goes out it is hard to control the car.

- Cusseta, GA, USA

Jan 132010

Cobalt

Everything was working fine in my 2007 Chevy Cobalt until it got to about 70,000 miles and then while I driving down the road the power steering shut off. This has continually occurred every time that I drive and it happens at random times. It's only a matter of time before it happens at a bad time and some one gets hurt. I've taken it to a few mechanics who have said they have encountered at least a dozen other people who have the same problem with their Cobalt. They then tell me to take it to the dealership who said that the total cost would be about $900. That's ridiculous I wont pay that much money for something so stupid. GM needs to get their act together before someone gets seriously injured from their crappy made cars.

- Layton, UT, USA

Jan 242010

Electronic power steering -

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Feb 192010

Cobalt

The steering suddenly froze up and could not steer the car. Luckily, we were in our own residential neighborhood.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 172010

Cobalt

Nothing out of the ordinary, just driving, and a warning 'beep, beep, beep, ' the 'power steering' warning comes on in the dash where the temperature and mileage are, and the power steering is not working. The wheel is very hard to turn and control is lost if already in a turn. My son had to help me steer. Shift into neutral, turn the car off and restart it, and then the power steering will come back on, but the interval of operation gets shorter and shorter. Not driving car now. Too dangerous, cannot steer.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 222009

Cobalt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt -- in December 2009 the power steering went out while exiting interstate. That was near the end of a 2-hour trip. The next day it was working again. Since that first incident the power steering has started failing more frequently (almost every time) and on shorter trips. Turning off the engine and restarting the car restarts the power steering, however sometimes it recurs within a few minutes. The car is difficult to drive without power steering and I'm afraid it will lead to a wreck. After the first incident we called the local Chevrolet dealer service department and was told the car was just out of warranty and therefore we would have to pay for the repair. (this is obviously a manufacturing defect, not a worn out part.) the car is scheduled for repair next week and the service department said could cost about $400.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt

Was driving along when a dashboard warning indicated a problem with the power steering and it became very difficult to steer. Pulled off, turned off car and restarted and problem was clear. Drove a few more miles and had the same issue. It has been a couple of weeks and the issue hasn't happened again. But concerned that it will.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

May 182009

Cobalt

I purchased a used 2007 Chevy Cobalt about 2 years ago. There were approximately 11,000 miles on it at the time. Early last summer it was nearing the 40,000 mark and my power steering started going out. I assumed that it was out of fluid, so I took the car and had an oil change and all the fluids checked. As I was leaving the mechanic, it went out again. I went back into the office, told them my issue and that's when I found out there was no place to put power steering fluid, that it was a closed transmission. (I later learned that it was electric.) the power steering continued to come and go for another few months. I stopped driving for about 8 weeks and when I resumed driving, it was fine. I thought maybe the problem had fixed itself. It went out again about 6 weeks ago; it had around 41500 mile on it. I live in the back of a neighborhood, where I have to make lots of turns and that is generally where it goes out. I do not do a lot of interstate or highway driving, mostly just inner-city. I rarely travel over 50 mph. Because the power steering continues to go out, it makes it hard for me to make turns and drive. I have not yet been involved in any accidents because of the issue, but I have had several close calls. I try to remain extra aware of my surroundings to prevent any incidents.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 082010

Cobalt

Power steering failed then worked intermittently.

- Tampa, FL, USA