Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 17 of 28)

Dec 232009

I have an 07 Cobalt I bought brand new and the power steering has started going out while I am driving. If I turn the car off and restart it the problem goes away but the power steering goes back out about 45 seconds later.

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Mar 012009

The power steering function would randomly go out on the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. This occurred at various speeds and at various times of driving. This started with an approximate mileage of 43K and began occurring early in 2009. The power steering mechanism was replaced in early March 2009. I do not have the old part. The primary driver of this vehicle was a 16 year old and I felt I had no choice but to get this repair. I did some research of my own and found a technical bulletin (bulletin 07-02-32-007) issued regarding this problem. I brought this up to the dealership and told them I thought this was a safety issue and that a recall should be done by Chevrolet. I also wrote a letter to General Motors expressing my concern for the safety of other drivers out there and the fact that his power steering failure happened so early in the vehicles life. Luckily, my daughter was neither injured or any property damage was done to my vehicle or others but it was very scary to her to have the power steering fail when traveling down the interstate.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Oct 012009

Power steering goes out without warning, car feels like it is skidding on ice and is nearly uncontrollable. The service airbag light keeps coming on. Called dealer, told nothing to do about either one, they don't know of any problems with the car. Suggested I replace tires and get a front end-alignment, which I did. The problem persists. Called dealer again and was given absolutely no information or offer to find out what is wrong with the vehicle, even at my expense.

- Collinsville, VA, USA

Oct 192009

After owning my 2007 Chevy colbalt for nearly 3 years, the power steering randomly started going out on it. The frequency in which the power steering goes out has increased and it goes out without warning.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 032009

At low speeds, the steering goes completely out and makes it impossible to stay on course. During the first time I experienced this problem, the steering started making an awful swishing noise. Now the steering makes this noise at all times but it gets worse when the steering goes out. How many people will be injured or even die before General Motors fixes this problem?

- Richlands, VA, USA

Feb 062010

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. I was driving going about 40 mph when "power steering" flashed across the screen. Although it wasn't impossible to steer, it was very difficult and very dangerous, as I was on a very cramped road. I then turned off my car, and when I turned it back on, it began to work again, about 2 miles down the road, "power steering" flashed across the screen once again, and it was no longer working. I have done nothing to correct this as of right now(just happened yesterday) but I have been doing research and have found hundreds of pages and forums regarding this topic.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Jan 142010

My 16 was in a head on collision in his 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I have since realized they may have a power steering defect. The car is totalled and is at a copart salvage auction. I would like to know if anything can be done to investigate the car before the car is sold for scrap.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Feb 052010

My 16 year old daughter was driving her 2007 Chevy Cobalt ltz and the power steering went away. The dash light came on stating power steering. She pulled over, stopped the car, turned off the ignition, and restarted the car and the problem went away. She managed to arrive at home without the problem recurring. She told me about it and I went to the car and started it, back out of the driveway, started down the street and the power steering lit up on the dash again and iu had no power steering. I stopped, turned off the car and restarted it and the problem went away. I need for something to be done about this from GM before my daughter, or anybody elses child has an accident due to this problem.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jan 062010

While making a hard U-turn in my 2007 Chevy Cobalt ls, the power steering went out and would not recover until the car was turned off and restarted. This has happened twice in the last three months. Very dangerous situation.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jan 022010

The power steering keeps going out - while driving - extremely dangerous.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 112009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that immediately after the vehicle was started and first gear was engaged, the power steering failed. The vehicle became uncontrollable while driving 10 mph. The contact was forced to turn the vehicle on and off so that the power steering would reset. The dealer advised the contact that the warranty does not apply to the power steering and they refused to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 65,918.

- Wagram, NC, USA

Apr 012009

2007 Chevy Cobalt- spring 2009- power steering went out while on expressway. Almost crashed. Called and reported incident to GM national number and ask about a recall, but at the time they said there were none. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the defective part. No problems since.

- Monroe, OH, USA

Jan 302010

While my son was driving the 2007 Chevy Cobalt the steering became extremely hard to maneuver. He returned home and informed me of problem. I got in the Cobalt and tried to steer it. I could barely move the wheels. I took it on the road and same problem. When I slowed to about 20 mph it became extremely hard to steer.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

Oct 252009

Our daughter was driving a 2007 Cobalt back to ucf. She avoided getting hit by a speeding driver. When she tried to return to her lane her steering was locked and had no control of car. She spun and totaled the car. She did not hit any other car. The auto was totaled. State farm has all documentation. The car was meticulously maintained. Three new tires exploded as she tried to stop.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Aug 222009

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering finally went out. It was going out then coming back on for months. Then it started going off more and more until it quit. I haven't had the chance to put up $2000 cause we have had other issues with my other daughter's $150000 surgery. I am seeing hundreds and hundreds of complaints back to 2005 where all Chevy Cobalts have this issue. I am surprised nothing has been done about this. There is obviously an issue here. I am afraid my daughter is going to get killed.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Feb 042010

Steering becomes stiff and extremely difficult to turn. It seems to reset and become normal after turning car off then back on. Happens at slow speeds after much turning. Afraid of what might happen at high speed on highway"?"

- Greenfield Twp, PA, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevy Cobalt our power steering has went out 3 times within the last week when we have slowed down our speed. To remedy it we have to try to pull over and turn off the car and then restart it. It has happened 3 times in last week.

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

Jan 102010

Power steering in 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt lt turns off while driving. Usually works again after restarting vehicle.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Jan 312010

Twice in the past two weeks, when I have started my car, the power steering does not engage. I have had to turn the car off and when I turn it back on it is fine.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jan 282010

Power steering is out! I was driving on the highway with my kids when I lost the ability to steer the car.

- San Antonio, TX, USA