CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 18 of 28)

Aug 222009

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering finally went out. It was going out then coming back on for months. Then it started going off more and more until it quit. I haven't had the chance to put up $2000 cause we have had other issues with my other daughter's $150000 surgery. I am seeing hundreds and hundreds of complaints back to 2005 where all Chevy Cobalts have this issue. I am surprised nothing has been done about this. There is obviously an issue here. I am afraid my daughter is going to get killed.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt

Steering becomes stiff and extremely difficult to turn. It seems to reset and become normal after turning car off then back on. Happens at slow speeds after much turning. Afraid of what might happen at high speed on highway"?"

- Greenfield Twp, PA, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevy Cobalt our power steering has went out 3 times within the last week when we have slowed down our speed. To remedy it we have to try to pull over and turn off the car and then restart it. It has happened 3 times in last week.

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

Jan 102010

Cobalt

Power steering in 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt lt turns off while driving. Usually works again after restarting vehicle.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Jan 312010

Cobalt

Twice in the past two weeks, when I have started my car, the power steering does not engage. I have had to turn the car off and when I turn it back on it is fine.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

Power steering is out! I was driving on the highway with my kids when I lost the ability to steer the car.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Cobalt

The defect occurs a few times a week. I am driving along and the steering wheel starts to shake really bad almost feels as if one of your front tires blew then the car becomes very difficult to control.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 012009

Cobalt

When starting up, once I get going, power steering randomly goes out while driving. It occurs constantly, sometimes coming back on when restarting, but going out soon thereafter. The problem is a electric power steering system and I am unable to afford repair, so no action has been taken to correct failure apart from diagnosing it.

- Irving, TX, USA

May 202009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt, power steering goes out, been going on for some time. Was going to get repairs, but I'm finding out by research I can't afford this. It's a pain when trying to park. Works fine at start up, but while driving it will go out. Tends to happen more often when it's warmer outside and I have to use the A/C. less often when it's cold and I use the heater. I've also noticed that I've been smelling fuel since this started, may be unrelated. I have it being looked at later. But if it costs more than 500 to repair I won't be able to do anything but drive an unsafe car.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 182009

Cobalt

It is very hard to turn at especially at corners at lower speed. It also make a noise at times. It seems to happen every time that I try to turn the vehicle in any direction. It has happened for over a year. The following date is an approximate date of when I first noticed it.

- Buckner, MO, USA

Jun 192009

Cobalt

The powersteering on my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt went out on the highway while driving. The dealership replaced the steering column and the powersteering is now malfunctioning again.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Cobalt

I have owned a 2007 Cobalt with power steering problems for over a year now. While driving you could hear the steering column vibrating really loud, eventually the power steering warning light came on. When the warning light came on the car would loose power steering and it would be very difficult to steer. If I could stop and turn the car off then back on it would disappear. But eventually it came on so often that I had to have it replaced at my own expense.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 062009

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, and at random times the power steering will go out. Sometimes it will go for months without a problem, and other times it will happen several times a day.

- Concord, VA, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

Power steering went out on my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt as I was driving it at about 15 miles per hour down my street. It was on for less than 2 minutes. Car is well maintained. This is the second time this has happened. From what I hear, this is a common problem with the Cobalt, and one that I feel is extremely dangerous.

- Coalinga, CA, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

Power steering system goes out without warning for no reason. Upon turning off the car and turning it back on, it resets for a bit, and then goes out again. Makes it hard to steer, stay on the road, and avoid accidents with other drivers or anything on or near the lane you're driving in.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Nov 192009

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Cobalt, there was no warning leading up to the power steering going out, I was just driving along when suddenly I could hardly turn the wheel. Good thing I wasn't going very fast and I was close to home. It was very hard to turn into my driveway. I should not have to pay to fix this defect GM should fix this before someone gets killed.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Aug 142009

Cobalt

I was driving downhill at about 35 mph, braking to make a left hand turn through and intersection with a light. The power steering went out on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt, resulting in my only being able to make such a wide turn that I almost collided with the stop light pole. I then turned the car on and off and could still barely turn the steering wheel. After taking my Cobalt to my nearest dealer the steering column was replaced and I called Chevrolet headquarters to make a complaint. They said they would reimburse the $900 repair costs as my extended warranty ended a week before the accident. After many calls back and forth they decided to not reimburse me at all.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Cobalt

Steering failure light comes on. Steering is erratic.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Mar 272008

Cobalt

While driving at slower speeds the electric power assist steering stops working. This has only happened 4 times but it is very scary almost resulting in 1 accident. I refuse to pay the money they want to change the power assist motor when it should be fixed for free as a safety problem. Also I would hate for GM to put the same type of part in instead of a safer updated one. I do not want to have a false sense of security. Saying there has not been any deaths is not a valid defense. Just think about turning right from a side street onto a busy road and your steering assist goes out. You run almost head on into a minivan with a mother driving 4 children to school. The minivan bounces off of your car and then off of a guard rail on the other side on the road. The minivan flips on its side killing two of the children and seriously injuring the mother. Is this an acceptable loss as long as GM does not have to pay out any money for a recall? as far as I am concerned the people at GM who are saying the power steering assist is not a problem would be guilty of murder if they made every attempt to not fix an unsafe condition. Just a short story and just my opinion.

- Peru, IL, USA

Sep 092009

Cobalt

Around 46,000 miles on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt I was driving on the highway driving to a different town, when going to turn my power steering went out. I filed a complaint to Chevrolet but someone told me to do it here too.

- Abilene, TX, USA