CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 18 of 29)

Jan 022010

Cobalt

The power steering keeps going out - while driving - extremely dangerous.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 112009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that immediately after the vehicle was started and first gear was engaged, the power steering failed. The vehicle became uncontrollable while driving 10 mph. The contact was forced to turn the vehicle on and off so that the power steering would reset. The dealer advised the contact that the warranty does not apply to the power steering and they refused to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 65,918.

- Wagram, NC, USA

Apr 012009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt- spring 2009- power steering went out while on expressway. Almost crashed. Called and reported incident to GM national number and ask about a recall, but at the time they said there were none. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the defective part. No problems since.

- Monroe, OH, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

While my son was driving the 2007 Chevy Cobalt the steering became extremely hard to maneuver. He returned home and informed me of problem. I got in the Cobalt and tried to steer it. I could barely move the wheels. I took it on the road and same problem. When I slowed to about 20 mph it became extremely hard to steer.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

Oct 252009

Cobalt

Our daughter was driving a 2007 Cobalt back to ucf. She avoided getting hit by a speeding driver. When she tried to return to her lane her steering was locked and had no control of car. She spun and totaled the car. She did not hit any other car. The auto was totaled. State farm has all documentation. The car was meticulously maintained. Three new tires exploded as she tried to stop.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Aug 222009

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering finally went out. It was going out then coming back on for months. Then it started going off more and more until it quit. I haven't had the chance to put up $2000 cause we have had other issues with my other daughter's $150000 surgery. I am seeing hundreds and hundreds of complaints back to 2005 where all Chevy Cobalts have this issue. I am surprised nothing has been done about this. There is obviously an issue here. I am afraid my daughter is going to get killed.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt

Steering becomes stiff and extremely difficult to turn. It seems to reset and become normal after turning car off then back on. Happens at slow speeds after much turning. Afraid of what might happen at high speed on highway"?"

- Greenfield Twp, PA, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevy Cobalt our power steering has went out 3 times within the last week when we have slowed down our speed. To remedy it we have to try to pull over and turn off the car and then restart it. It has happened 3 times in last week.

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

Jan 102010

Cobalt

Power steering in 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt lt turns off while driving. Usually works again after restarting vehicle.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Jan 312010

Cobalt

Twice in the past two weeks, when I have started my car, the power steering does not engage. I have had to turn the car off and when I turn it back on it is fine.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

Power steering is out! I was driving on the highway with my kids when I lost the ability to steer the car.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Cobalt

The defect occurs a few times a week. I am driving along and the steering wheel starts to shake really bad almost feels as if one of your front tires blew then the car becomes very difficult to control.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 012009

Cobalt

When starting up, once I get going, power steering randomly goes out while driving. It occurs constantly, sometimes coming back on when restarting, but going out soon thereafter. The problem is a electric power steering system and I am unable to afford repair, so no action has been taken to correct failure apart from diagnosing it.

- Irving, TX, USA

May 202009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt, power steering goes out, been going on for some time. Was going to get repairs, but I'm finding out by research I can't afford this. It's a pain when trying to park. Works fine at start up, but while driving it will go out. Tends to happen more often when it's warmer outside and I have to use the A/C. less often when it's cold and I use the heater. I've also noticed that I've been smelling fuel since this started, may be unrelated. I have it being looked at later. But if it costs more than 500 to repair I won't be able to do anything but drive an unsafe car.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 182009

Cobalt

It is very hard to turn at especially at corners at lower speed. It also make a noise at times. It seems to happen every time that I try to turn the vehicle in any direction. It has happened for over a year. The following date is an approximate date of when I first noticed it.

- Buckner, MO, USA

Jun 192009

Cobalt

The powersteering on my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt went out on the highway while driving. The dealership replaced the steering column and the powersteering is now malfunctioning again.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Cobalt

I have owned a 2007 Cobalt with power steering problems for over a year now. While driving you could hear the steering column vibrating really loud, eventually the power steering warning light came on. When the warning light came on the car would loose power steering and it would be very difficult to steer. If I could stop and turn the car off then back on it would disappear. But eventually it came on so often that I had to have it replaced at my own expense.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 062009

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, and at random times the power steering will go out. Sometimes it will go for months without a problem, and other times it will happen several times a day.

- Concord, VA, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

Power steering went out on my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt as I was driving it at about 15 miles per hour down my street. It was on for less than 2 minutes. Car is well maintained. This is the second time this has happened. From what I hear, this is a common problem with the Cobalt, and one that I feel is extremely dangerous.

- Coalinga, CA, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

Power steering system goes out without warning for no reason. Upon turning off the car and turning it back on, it resets for a bit, and then goes out again. Makes it hard to steer, stay on the road, and avoid accidents with other drivers or anything on or near the lane you're driving in.

- Vancouver, WA, USA