CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 20 of 29)

Feb 022010

Cobalt

My grandfather and I each bought a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and ever since we have had them they seem to just be falling apart around us. My number one problem with the car is the power steering. It keeps going out and is very hard to steer and keep under control if it goes out when im driving high speeds on the interstate. It never really bothered me until today because I was driving down fm 1406 and there was a dog in the middle of the road, I tried maneuvering around the animal but I wasn't able to, when I tried to swerve to avoid the dog I could barely move the wheel. I killed the dog. My number one concern is that dog could have easily been a child or a grown up simply wanting to cross the street. I don't want to drive this vehicle anymore and I know many people out there don't either but what choice do we have, we cant go on with our daily routines with out these Cobalts we are all so heavily "relying" on. Basically were !@#$% if we do and !@#$% if we don't. both power steering went out in the cars, mine a few months after my grandfathers. What's funny is that we both bought the vehicles on the same day and both cars power steering went out....wow that's really lame.

- Winnie, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Cobalt

Steering failure. The vehicle's electrical power steering goes out very often.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 222009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at speeds under 40 mph the power steering failed and it became difficult to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the closest dealer who repaired the power steering pump and the steering column. The steering motor was also replaced. There were no additional failures since the vehicle was repaired. There were no recalls. The current and failure mileages were under 47,000.

- Chincoteague, VA, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. On 01/30/10 I was driving down the road when I heard "ding ding ding" I looked down to my dash board and saw it said "power steering" my car then got really hard to steer. So I pulled over and turned my car off and then back on and I was able to steer fine again. Since then I haven't wanted to drive my car, in fear that I will not be able to steer. I researched this problem and I saw that alot of people are also having the same problems with their Cobalts. This is not our fault so we shouldn't have to pay to get it fixed.

- Redfox, KY, USA

Oct 022009

Cobalt

I am very upset at the fact that I just read all the complaints on the electrical power steering in the Chevrolet Cobalt. The same problem I have. I work and pay monthly payments on a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls that is having these problems. GM should do something, or is it going to be when someone dies as a result of this. Steering is a very important component to a vehicle. I refuse to pay the large amount of money that it's going to cost to get it fixed and the dealer can't promise it won't happen again. People invest money into a newer car not to have to pay for problems this early on!. my car evens stalls once in awhile when I first start it and without even mashing the gas you'll hear the ignition run hard for a few seconds like it's starting itself.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 022009

Cobalt

I drive a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. The electric power steering began to click off and on then this past month has gone completely off. It is extremely difficult to steer my car which can lead to an accident and/or harm to myself. I need to get to and from work and can not afford to not drive my car. I called a Chevy dealership and the amount of money that has to go into this is quite a bit. I'm am very upset due to the simple fact that my car is a 2007 and this is something I should not have to worry about right now. And on top of that ever since my power steering is out my engine light is on.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 102009

Cobalt

Power steering column, gears wheel rattle, and are loose. Fix is 2K. Out of my pocket to replace it. This is critical.

- Granger, IN, USA

Jan 312010

Cobalt

Power steering went out on my Chevy Cobalt without warning.

- Eveleth, MN, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering column failed. While driving approximately 25 mph and making a turn the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact turned the vehicle on and off so that the steering wheel would reset itself. The GM manufacturer was contacted and stated that the parts have been ordered. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Irivine, CA, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 20 to 25 mph on normal road conditions the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver exerted higher effort to turn the steering wheel and drove into a service station. The engine was turned off. The vehicle resumed operation without power steering. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle I S in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 43,900.

- Arlingtion Heights , IL, USA

Jan 302010

Cobalt

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt is having intermittent failure with the power steering. It randomly occurs, with no warning. The "power steering" warning light appears on the display and I lose all power steering ability. This causes my vehicle to become unmanageable and feel rather unsafe to drive.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 272009

Cobalt

The power steering of my 2007 Chevy Cobalt went out Nov 27, 2009, late at nite on I-95 - freaked me out and caused me to be stranded! no dealerships service dept. Open on weekends, so I gave up and drove it back to Florida on Sunday (took 10 hours). Anyway, called local dealership, Chevy corporate and filed a complaint with NHTSA... unfortunately I had no choice but to take it to dealer for diagnostics and then call corporate back where they said they "might be able to assist with repairs but wouldn't know until diagnostics were done..." dealership informed me that they "believe" the problem could be solved by replacing the power steering motor if I would only pay $350 for labor (they would generously donate the motor...) I declined (for now anyway) as we will try to repair it ourselves... I cannot afford to pay for this and shouldn't have to as the car isn't that old. The warranty just ran out in September as seems to be the case for many who's blogs I have read. They also noted on the summary that the motor might not actually take care of the problem and if it didn't then they would have to replace the steering column for another $800 plus labor !! my car has not yet been repaired and is still dangerous so I don't drive it unless I just have to go somewhere and have no other option.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jan 252010

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. It is 2 years old and at approximately 58,000 miles the car's power steering began to intermittently fail. The only way to regain the steering is to turn the car off and then back on, which is dangerous in traffic. This happens somewhat randomly, but occurs within a few minutes of starting the car 80% of the time. On Jan 25th the power steering went out as I was about to make a left turn and having to overcompensate for the hard steering wheel almost caused me to hit an oncoming car. After resolving to try and get this repaired, I checked into the problem online and have found multiple websites with over 1,000 consumers who complain about power steering failure on all models of the Chevy Cobalt. A couple of these are www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Cobalt/T8fmsuqb7V2dth5jh/P36 and getsatisfaction.com/GM/topics/cobalt_power_steering and www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Chevy-Cobalt-power-steering-issues. a repair charge of $800 - $2000 is needed to fix the problem which is not covered by the factory warranty, and in some cases is recurring. GM refuses to acknowledge that this is a very frequent and dangerous problem and refuses to modify their warranty to fix it. There is no info on their website despite thousands of obvious complaints and widespread failure of this part that, when fails, creates unsafe conditions for everyone on the road. I have heard that class action lawsuits are in the works, and I am going to try and start one myself, but we'd all really like to see GM acknowledge this problem, make an effort to fix this plague on their customers, and issue a recall.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jan 142010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 65 mph the power steering failed. The contact was able to drive pull on the side of the road, turn the vehicle on and off so that it would reset itself. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The Chevrolet manufacturer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 60272.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 252009

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. When my mileage hit about 45,000, around mid to late October, the power steering started messing up. It will go off in the middle of driving. This is a huge safety concern for me. I have two children and it will go off everytime I drive it about 3 to 5 minutes after I start driving. I am a single parent and can not afford to fix the problem. I think this needs to be recalled. I have read so many stories over how the power steering is going out and eventually its going to lead to death because GM would rather that happen then to fix what needs to be done.

- Marlow, OK, USA

Nov 132009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt lt (power steering problems) has purchase the car new the warranty has expired on the vehicle I have 47,000 miles now when it first reached 32,000 miles my check engine light stayed on brought it to the dealer they said they had to replaced the cylinder head and injectors this car has been a problem since purchased. The steering while driving locks up and the dtc light comes on says power steering driving gets hard to steer. I have done research on the steering system there's a lot on Chevy's out on the market that needs to be a recall back on the steering system the name of the unit is call jtekt pwr.str. Asst.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 052010

Cobalt

Loss of power steering with a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. The car has to be turned off then back on for the power steering to work again. The failure occurred about once within a week to 3 times a day. I contacted GM's customer service to check on any service recalls and a warranty extension. Since the issue was becoming very dangerous, I had to get the vehicle fixed immediately. The vehicle was taken into the dealership. I was told it was not covered under the warranty because the mileage on my vehicle was at 39,000. The bumper to bumper warranty is 3 yrs, 36,000 miles. The power steering column and power steering assembly motor had to be replaced.

- Fort Sam Houston, TX, USA

Jan 102010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph and making a left turn, the steering failed which caused the contact to crash into a curb and a telephone pole. The vehicle was damaged; however, there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer does not want to diagnose the vehicle since they do not think that the steering was related to the failure. The contact called GM and was advised that someone would return her call. The failure mileage was 29,800.

- Bellevue, KY, USA

Nov 272009

Cobalt

I have had several instances where the power steering goes out and becomes very difficult for me a 250lb male to turn or control it even jumps around on its own, in my 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I have found this to be happening to people everywhere from post on the internet. I am concerned for the safety and well being of all driver's and passengers in a vehicle that has Chevrolet electric power steering as well as the vehicles around them. If it hasn't yet it will cost lives if this problem does not get resolved. My wife originally discovered the issue when she hit the ditch at 35mph, we are thankful that the wheel jerked to the right (ditch) instead of to the left (semi).

- Ozark, MO, USA

Jan 032010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 65 mph the power steering light illuminated and then the steering wheel locked. She was able to drive onto the emergency lane turn the vehicle off. Within a few seconds she started the vehicle and the failure recurred after driving 20 miles. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that since the vehicle was 3 years old the warranty was no longer valid for the steering. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure has occurred twice. The failure mileage was 57000 and the current mileage was 58075.

- Paison, AZ, USA