Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 22 of 28)

Dec 262009

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt ss. It has 51,000 miles and the power steering just went out suddenly while I was driving. I almost got into an accident I was barely able to turn into a gas station. I am not very strong, thankfully my brother was with me. I was 50 miles from my home and would not have been able to steer home. This is very dangerous. I got home and researched to see how to fix this, and I noticed several people had posted complaints on several different websites stating the same problem.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Dec 252009

While driving at 45 mph on a windy and dangerous mountain road, lost the power steering and almost went over the edge of the mountain. Turned the vehicle off and back on and power steering seemed to work ok, but keeps going out. Very dangerous and still under warranty and trying to get into the dealer asap.

- Kirkland, AZ, USA

Dec 212009

Car: Chevy Cobalt 2007 - power steering power steering randomly goes out while driving with no warning. Restarting the car temporarily fixes the issue. There are many complaints on this very dangerous issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 192009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 70 mph and making a left or right turn the steering wheel locked. The failure has occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer. The failure mileage and the VIN were unavailable. The current mileage was 64,326.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 112009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 65 mph he experienced difficult steering and then the power steering light illuminated on the instrument control panel. She was able to safely pull to the side of the road and restart the vehicle. The dealer was notified, and she was advised that she would have to pay $800 dollars to repair the vehicle since the warranty expired. No repairs were made. The failure and current mileages were 40000.

- Kress, TX, USA

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 75 mph the "power steering" warning light illuminated on the instrument panel, and there was a loss of power steering. The driver exerted great effort to turn the steering wheel. The driver pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the engine to resume operation. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician stated the failure could possibly be contributed to the power steering motor. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 50,692. The current mileage was 51,000. Updated 01/12/10 updated 01/13/10.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Dec 142009

My Chevy Cobalt 2007 becomes very hard to steer. The power steering light comes on. When the vehicle is turned off and back on it works fine, but it could be very dangerous for me and my family since it usually happens while driving.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Dec 142009

Chevy Cobalt - 2006... while driving car the steering goes out. Car will not turn to the left or to the right... simply freezes up. I am a small business owner. My company is a molly maid franchise. I have 15 cars for work. I own 5 Chevy Cobalts, years 2006 and 2007.... this has happened to me with 3 out of 5 vehicles so far! when I call Chevrolet they tell me it is not a defect, but I believe it is - and very dangerous!!

- Stuart, FL, USA

Nov 272009

My power steering went out. Cant get my inspection sticker!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 142009

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt was running normally, then the steering column locked up while I was driving. I barely missed a telephone pole as the car was almost impossible to steer. I was by GM to wait until the problem duplicates itself and lights the check engine light so they know what to diagnose. I'm afraid to drive this car.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

Dec 102009

Electrical power steering fails while driving the vehicle making it almost impossible to turn.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Dec 092009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving between 5-10 mph he lost power steering. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was repaired.. the current mileage was 54,500. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN number was not available.

- Erie, PA, USA

Oct 102009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. While reversing out of parking space, she experienced a loss of power steering. She restarted the vehicle and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. After the inspection the failure would occur whenever the vehicle was in operation. The failure mileage was 47,000. The current mileage was 50,000.

- West Carrollton City, OH, USA

Nov 272009

Beginning about 2 weeks ago, I have had issues with my power steering. It will arbitrarily shut off while driving and the screen on the dash board will flash "power steering". I have to pull over and shut the car off, and upon restart the problem is fixed. So far I have not had any real safety issues, but this will cause a severe issue one of these days while I am on the roads. I looked online and saw that I am not the only person with the exact same issue with this vehicle, give or take a year. A recall should be made asap before it causes serious injuries to drivers or passengers..

- Toano, VA, USA

Dec 082009

On December 08, 2009, I was on my way home from work when the power steering message was activated on the dash display panel followed by the malfunctioning of the power steering assist. I pulled off the freeway and to a convenience store to check the engine compartment. I discovered that there is no place to add power steering fluid I discovered that the power steering is really power assisted mechanically assisted and they problem went away by turning off the car and then restarting the car; however, the problem recurs once on the hwy. This is extremely dangerous to the public and should be address immediately by GM before some gets killed.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Oct 152007

I bought a '07 brand new Chevy Cobalt. When my odometer was around 60,000 miles, I made a left turn and lost my power steering. Pretty much within 5 minutes of beginning driving, every time I drive my car, the power steering goes out. I have to turn my car off and restart it in order for it to correct itself. I have taken it into a mechanic and they told me because of the mileage it wouldn't be covered by any form of warranty because one was factory( up to 36,000 miles) and the extended warranty wouldn't cover it all.

- Aplington, IA, USA

Dec 072009

My daughter was driving my 2007 Chevy Cobalt and she lost the power steering - she lost control and moved into other lanes and no accident occurred.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Dec 042009

While I was driving on the highway, the words power steering flashes on the screen under the speedometer, and my power steering suddenly goes out on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt. When I turn off my car and turn it back on the power steering works again. But the problem of the power steering shutting down again happens regularly at random intervals.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Dec 052009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering on the vehicle failed while driving 50 mph. The contact was forced to shut the engine off and on so that the power steering could reset itself. The failure continued to occur until the contact reached her destination. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The VIN number was unknown. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 032009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 55 mph the power steering failed. The contact shut the engine off and restarted so that the power steering would reset itself. The failure occurred consistently for two days. The dealer agreed to research the problems and advise them accordingly. The contact stated that there was a warranty on the vehicle but not sure if they will honor it. The failure mileage was 37,175. Updated 1/14/10 updated 01/15/10.

- Omaha, NE, USA