CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 7 of 29)

Dec 032013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while entering a drive-thru window, the power steering assist failed. The contact momentarily lost control of the vehicle and barely avoided crashing into a concrete wall. The contact shut the vehicle off and once restarted, the power steering assist had returned to normal function. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V073000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 168,000.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Mar 102012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The ignition switch wouldn't turn when I inserted the key, the key got stuck. I had to play with it for it to finally turn. I took it to a car locksmith and had another key made for the car which cost me $100. Yesterday, October 8, 2013 I begin to encounter the same problem all over again. The key gets stuck in the ignition switch and the ignition switch does not turn. I have to jiggle and play with it for the key to finally turn and the car turn on. I have read that numerous people have posted very similar complaints with the Chevrolet Cobalts. It appears that this may clearly qualify as a recall issue. I should not have to go through this time and time again.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Sep 242013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering assist failed as the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- High Point , NC, USA

Jul 092013

Cobalt

While braking, the vehicle's security system warning light lit up, tachometer dropped to zero, and power steering warning briefly flashed. Restarting the car turned off the warning light and car drove fine. Two weeks later the incident happened again while driving on the highway; again restarting the car solved the issue. The power steering recall was performed on the vehicle a week after the second incident. A month later, the incident occurred again, while braking. Several minutes later the gauges started going up and down and the information display shut off. Restarting the car did not clear the warning, and car jerked with changes in tachometer. Restarting the car a few hours later cleared the warning. Car was brought to a mechanic the next morning, and the incident could not be duplicated nor did the computer read an error occurring. The error recurred moments after leaving, and was brought back to mechanic who stated the front lights were also turning on and off. Restarting the car several times cleared the warning, but information display no longer turns on properly. The most recent failure mileage was 75,500 miles.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Aug 012011

Cobalt

I received a recall on the power steering. I called them and told them that my power steering had gone out twice on the car while I was driving it. They told me to bring it in immediately since I was experiencing problems. I brought it in and they fixed it promptly but ever since I have been having other electrical problems with the blinkers not clicking off, the dashboard lights coming on and off. I also had a problem with my gas tank leaking. I had someone to fix it because it was pouring gas out and I didn't have the money to pay what a dealer would charge. Several months after I had it fixed I got recall in the mail for the faulty gas tank. I also had a wheel bearing that went out but the car was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it free of charge.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Dec 212012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Edited partial news entry from the deadly accident: South Idaho crash kills two, including nampa woman; ipt (Idaho press-tribune) newsroom; gooding county--a nampa woman died after a car accident in gooding county Friday (12-21-12), according to Idaho state police. A burley man also died in the two-vehicle crash, which took place around 6:45 P.M. on interstate 84 about 35 miles outside mountain home. Three others from burley were injured. Young woman, 22, of nampa, was driving West on the interstate in a Chevrolet Cobalt. Authorities aren't sure why she lost control of the vehicle. She drove into the median and overturned. Her vehicle continued into the eastbound lanes of travel, colliding with a Nissan maxima driven by 23- year-old young man of burley. Young man died at the scene of the crash. Young woman was transported by air ambulance to a boise hospital, where she later died. Three passengers related to young man, all of burley...were taken by air ambulance to a boise hospital. All drivers and passengers were wearing seatbelts. [source: www.idahopress.com/news/S-Idaho-crash-kills-two-including-nampa-woman/art- - icle_7E5ce650-4C9A-11E2-8D7F-001A4bcf887A.html] because the roads were clear and dry, the Idaho state police speculated that the young woman was perhaps somehow "inattentive" in her driving. But the fact she was not on her cell phone or otherwise engaged with any other known distraction and the fact that her wrist was snapped back resulting in a serious compound fracture suggests that the vehicle violently and suddenly jerked out of her control. We know the Chevy Cobalt vehicles were under investigation for "steering problems" by the NHTSA and the investigation was closed in July 2010. With these fatalities perhaps it is time to review your previous findings. Updated 09-18-13 updated 9/24/13 updated 09/25/2013

- Eagle, ID, USA

Aug 112013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 062010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering, all electrical, gauges, and lights would flash, steering covered under recall, but have now had a few electrical problems since.

- Jenkinsburg, GA, USA

Dec 122008

Cobalt 4-cyl

Couldn't turn key to start the car. The car was in park. To get the car to start I must giggle the steering wheel, while trying to turn the key. This is not right.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

Jul 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Recently my 2007 Cobalt that I have only had for about a year started twitching out on the dashboard. I started the car to find the gauges fluttering, the security system light came on, it flashed power steering and low fuel ( car has full tank) as well as check engine. I pulled it into to drive where it clunked hard and there was a clicking sound coming from the shifter as well as the power steering was out. I disconnected the battery cables and it reset the computer with no problems thus far. The car has been ok for the last day and a half until today when very quickly the power steering light flashed and went off.the driver side speaker stopped working but flashes on randomly as well as the radio buttons don't work from time to time. I noticed a lot of recalls and similar problems with other peoples vehicles. I would like to know what is causing this electrical issues and have them fixed, I feel my safety is at risk, especially if the power steering shuts off again, this time while I am driving.

- Harrison Twp, MI, USA

Jul 022013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph and making a turn, it became difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the steering shaft would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Berea, OH, USA

Jul 082010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering wheel seized. The vehicle became unresponsive as the gauges in the instrument panel became illuminated. The power steering assist warning light was also illuminated. The failure recurred frequently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate and diagnose failure. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 35,000. The current mileage was 87,000.

- Falmouth , KY, USA

Jul 062013

Cobalt

Vehicle was recalled around 2010 for steering and fixed. Since then numerous electrical failures, power brakes, and steering failures have happened. Vehicle has been in dealer and numerous other shops over the years for same problems. Chevy dealer (kerry Chevrolet in alexandria Kentucky), where car was bought kept saying they did not know what was wrong. Even after hundreds of dollars spent to fix, problems eventually came back ( electrical failure, gauges fluttering, radio flashing, steering lock, power brake failure). This past weekend, gauges started fluttering, steering locked up while driving and car went into a spin running off the road. Chevrolet dealer has always passed all these things off as not their problem. I would like any info on what can be done about this. We are now afraid to have vehicle fixed again and drive it fearing steering may lock while driving at a faster speed. At least this power failure happened at a low speed and no one in the other lane during spin. Next time might not be so lucky. Please give us any info on what can be done. Thank you.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Sep 242008

Cobalt 4-cyl

I took my vehicle to get it checked due to a popping noise while turning, I was told the control arm brushing (bushing) was broken. The part was replaced. Then 4 months later the popping noise returned. When taken to the dealership, it was again the control arm brushing (bushing). Again, it was replaced. In about 8 weeks, the popping noise returned again. I knew what it was by then and I left it go for awhile. It was replaced in December of 2012. Again it is broken as I file this report and has been for a couple weeks.

- Centerburg, OH, USA

Jun 202013

• 2,566,650 miles
My 2007 Cobalt was recalled in 2009 for the steering column motor. I took it in to have the recall fixed. Well today it was making the same sound as it was in 2009 and I was told that I would have to pay out of pocket to replace the exact same part that was replaced in 2009. I know I am not the only one to have to have this done. I really think that General Motors needs to further investigate on this issue. I was given an estimate of $950 to repair. Why should I have to pay to have shoddy workmanship replaced.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 182013

Cobalt

The steering is to hard to turn...it have a power steering light on car, ,,and the check engine is on... the speedometer does not work either and doesn't wana shift to any gear...any inf. Or help to solve this problems..... made in usa...

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 162013

Cobalt

When turning left or right it makes a clunking noise from the steering column.

- Montello, WI, USA

May 132009

Cobalt

Have had many issues with the front steering, dealership claims nothing found. Now it will not pass inspection due to the steering knuckles. Radio was replaced 3 times!!! door locks do not stay locked/unlocked. Dealer states they never found any problems with it. Vehicle now has 110,000 miles on

- Oswego, NY, USA

Apr 292013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway at around 65 mph and all of a sudden the car just kind of had a mind of its own and started spinning out doing donuts across three lanes. I hit a Jeep and crashed into a concrete barrier. It was a miracle we weren't killed and the car is demolished, and if it hadn't been for the concrete barrier only god knows where we would have went. The steering just seemed to go out of control. I believe this is an extremely serious safety issue.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Apr 252013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph the steering became difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000...update 04-10-14 the consumer stated the power steering would freeze intermittently while driving. The manufacturer was informed of the steering failure on April 29, 2013. The power steering was repaired in early May 2013 by a Chevrolet dealer. Updated 05/20/14

- Tallahassee, FL, USA