2007 Chevrolet Cobalt wheels / hubs NHTSA complaints: Tires

NHTSA — Tires Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

5.3

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Aug 182010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt equipped with nankang milestar BST radial tires (N/a). While driving approximately 40 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to violently shake. The vehicle was taken to and independent mechanic where he was informed that the belts within the tires were separating. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Apr 202007

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer states safety defect in steering system the consumer began to have problems with the HVAC system wiring and connector which was replaced on April 20, 2007, the second time on July 3, 2007 the HVAC system relay had to be replaced and the third time on July 6, 2007 the body control module had to replaced. Also, the steering shaft and steering column had to be replaced, there was a bubble on the tire which required replacement. The window regulator and fuel pump module was also replaced.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Aug 032009

Cobalt

Driving at 70 miles an hour the front tire outer tread came off the tire throwing the tire that came out from the car, cracking the windshield and bending a fender and running board. Almost making me loose control of the vehicle. The tire brand was Continental dot cpv9blc0707 notified GM of the damages and they said they would take a look.

- Okemah, OK, USA

Jan 202008

Cobalt

Brakes done twice in a year struts going bad and fan motor squeaking gas tank sensor replaced need new tires. First time brakes were sanded down then put back on. Second time they were replaced.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 142008

Cobalt

On November 13th I felt something wrong when driving home. I stopped at sam's club and asked them to check the tire pressure. They stated it was at 40-42. The attendant let the air out to 29. He said the tires looked ok and suggested have the alignment checking. While on the freeway home, the tread separated from the tire. I thought I had hit something, pulled over and kicked each tire for damage (it was dark). There was air in all tires so I decided to go the last 5 miles home. Immediately driving a few feet I realized something was wrong. I called a tow and the operator said the tread separated. We had the car dropped off at garrett motors. The next morning we told them what happened. Later they called saying it would not be covered because the tire was underinflated and that was why it became separated. We told them we had proof that the tire pressure was at the correct level 20 minutes before, and that the tire felt it had air (garrett claimed it was 10psi-visual observation did not show that small amount of air). Garrett refused to honor the warranty citing it was operator error. They also said that all other tires needed replacement. Garrett refused to replace any of the tires or fix the body damage to the car due to the tire tread hitting the side of the vehicle.

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

Aug 112008

Cobalt

Tires are bad on drivers side only and dealer wants to put on new tires and rims on front end. I have a warranty and they wont cover this.

- Craigsville, WV, USA

Jul 202007

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the passenger side tire failed and was replaced twice. During the first failure, while driving approximately 40 mph, the tire blew out in dry conditions. During the second failure, the tire flattened. The failures occurred at approximately 8,000 miles. When the contact took the vehicle to the shop, they stated that they were unsure how the failures occurred. The alignment was correct and the tire air pressure was normal when the vehicle was inspected. The vehicle was taken to the Chevrolet dealer and they found no failure. The contact has both tires that failed. The current mileage was 20,000 and failure mileage was 8,000.

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Jun 292007

Cobalt

Brand new car had to replace tires just under 30K miles.

- Calais, ME, USA

Jul 232007

Cobalt 4-cyl

Our '07 Chevy Cobalt's left rear tire outboard sidewall just separated just below the edge of tread all the way around the tire. Luckily was just accelerating up an on-ramp to highway speed when it blew. No tread or other sidewall damage lead to this (I.e. punctures/debree in tire) - car has under 1,000 miles.

- Guthrie, OK, USA

Sep 022006

Cobalt 4-cyl

Purchased new Cobalt 2007 in August of 2006. Began noticing hydroplaning and control problems. Now that it is winter, the car will not steer, it pulls and the traction is terrible. I have been stuck several times. I no longer permit my wife to drive on the interstate for fear of a collision or worse. We have parked the vehicle and contacted our dealer with several complaints only to fall on deaf ears. The proper channels to report this has been followed but tp no avail has anything been done to replace the tires (safety first) and we feel something should be done before a serious injury or death occurs. We have searched and found numerous problems with the touring contact as tire and believe that ours has some very serious problems. We need help now.

- Brookville, PA, USA