2008 Chevrolet Cobalt brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Sep 122008

Cobalt

Electrical dash panel gauges bounce. Power steering comes and goes. Engine cuts out & idols oddly, ever since I bought the vehicle I have problems with the power steering and electronic dash cluster.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Jul 152016

Cobalt

While driving at low speeds (30mph) the power steering light came on. The car stalled, the wheel tightened up, the symbol with a locked car turned on. The speedometer started moving up and down crazyly. Check engine light came on as well. I moved to the side because it was really difficult to control and as I did the car just kept stalling worse and worse. Once I pulled over I turned off the car. I wasnt as freaked out as the first time this occurred since this has happened numerous of times and I've taken it to 3 different mechanics who don't know how to fix it at all. It's very scary it also happened while going at 60mph and all I do is pull over and then call the tow or drive it at low speeds home. I'm sure I fall in the category for a recall but have never gotten a recall letter. Its extremely dangerous and scary to drive with fear of this happening at anytime specially when you carry passengers. Alot of other people have the same problem as me and it's annoying hopefully GM fixes this problem for us all.

- Royal City, WA, USA

May 012015

Cobalt

Some times the car will not start, reduced engine power, can not go long distance on turn pike, car will stall out. Fuel/propulsion system, has a problem also, but will not let me click on box above.

- Acton, ME, USA

Sep 012015

Cobalt

Purchased this vehicle off a used car lot Feb/2015 within a month of use the transmission fluid lines broke. Got back on the road, several months later the check engine light comes on and the power steering sensor as well. The car immediately started to become harder to handle. I'm scared that it will cut out on my wife and infant.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 012015

Cobalt

We left the yard and got a quarter mile sown the road when the instrument panel went whacky and then immediately lost the power steering. I had this problem fixed back in 2012 and there was a recall on it. I can not believe this is happening again. I am so worried I'm going to get hurt or hurt someone else because I am unable to steer. Thank god my fiancÉ was with me so he could drive us back to the house.

- Johnson, VT, USA

Dec 072014

Cobalt

I was driving on the freeway when I changed lanes and lost control of my vehicle. My anti-lock braking system did not work as it was supposed to; my traction control did not work as it was suppose to, which resulted in me losing control of my vehicle and hitting another vehicle. A month earlier, I took my vehicle to rancho motor company to have a recall part on my vehicle fixed. They noticed that my ABS and traction control lights were on. They ran a diagnostics test on the vehicle. When I picked up my vehicle, they informed me there was nothing physically wrong with my vehicles ABS and traction control systems but the software was outdated and needed to be updated.

- Barstow, CA, USA

Jun 202013

Cobalt

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt, I have many problems with it. It shut off itself 3 times at 60 miller per hour, the lights start blink and the power lock it's locking and unlocking by itself many times. I call the Chevy recall center and they told me that I have to pay for the diagnostic, but I am doing payments on this car still and I can't pay for the diagnostic. The recall # is.. 14V047 and 14V171.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

May 272014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I cant believe it's going to take GM months, years to fix Cobalts ignition switches, there are also fuel pump recall4-13 but my area is "not hot enough" for a fuel pump recall that was advised for other areas"??? wth ?" my appointment for ignition switch fix is months away, if I get killed my family is to sue GM for knowingly holding up the solution!! come on!!!! get with it !!! GM sure gets their money quick but when its time to fix problems and make it right on GM's part they are slacking bad!!!

- Dittmer, MO, USA

Apr 092014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The key locked causing car to roll forward. I attempted to remove key but electrical system was disabled. I was not able to restart auto until jump starting it. Then the check engine light appeared and the traction control off warning appeared. Additionally, the power steering light indicated it was off. No injuries occurred as I was coming to a stop when incident happened. When driving my auto to the dealer, I noticed the RPM reached 4500 at about 50 mph. Steering took some effort without power steering.

- Shepherd, TX, USA

Mar 072014

Cobalt

I was on my way to work this morning on and noticed my car 'stuttering' as few moments at a time. After I proceeded from a stop position and continued off the highway, the car dashboard began to light up, almost as if it was shortening out. The speedometer, fuel gauge, and my RPM kept moving back and forth quickly. There were multiple messages flashing such as powersteering, low traction, no traction. My check engine light, antitheft light, and the traction light kept flashing. Then I lost power steering and my car ultimately 'died' on the side of the road.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Oct 282011

Cobalt 4-cyl

At random the vehicle will suddenly exhibit ESC failure, traction control failure, and several other trouble codes while simultaneously losing all gauge function and power steering. The error will continue to escalate causing a malfunction in the electronic stability control mechanism causing grinding while turning. The error often subsides after shutting the ignition off for several minutes.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 302012

Cobalt

The electronic stability control light is on all the time as well as traction control. Also I took the car in for the key not coming out of the steering and came out of dealership with a broken turn signal (it works but I hear a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel).

- El Paso, TX, USA