2008 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Jun 172016

Cobalt

Start of the problem the gauges will go eratic, my car chimes a few dings then theft light comes on. I don't have a theft system. Ls model. Also effects the transmission(automatic) cause it will shift hard and jerk the car. The ac also shuts off during this issue, it will blow air but it won't be cold. Seems like the issue always comes back when it's extremely hot outside. This is an on going issue for about 5 years and it comes and goes. Every mechanic I went to their car reader can't read my car. Also it has happened while I was driving and again when I'm parked and just started the car. And I have had all the recalls fixed that were reported.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 182016

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the instrument panel gauges fluctuated, the power steering failed, and the transmission shifted abnormally. The security system warning indicator illuminated. The failures occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 138,000. Updated 06/15/16 the consumer stated all codes read, a loss of communication. Updated 06/28/16.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Cobalt

Electrical/electronics problem. Symptoms: Dash warning lights (ie: Engine, traction, theft) came on. Digital display warning: Low fuel (over 1/2 tank of gas) power steering (which stopped operating) and transmission service (transmission stopped shifting smoothly). Gauges (speed, fuel and tach) operated erratically, not at all or combination of the two conditions. This condition started with a few of the listed symptoms which initially cleared them selves. Later as more showed at same time, I was able to clear them or sometime they cleared themselves. This happened over a years time. When all symptoms showed and would not clear, I took the vehicle to trusted mechanic. He could not locate problem but due to outstanding ignition switch recall, suggest that repair may fix the problem. Vehicle was taken to dealership and recall service preformed and no other outstanding recalls were found. Vehicle operated without a problem for almost a month before the listed symptoms reappeared. Was able to clear the fault codes but symptoms returned within the day and won't clear. A check of recalls found that a recall for power steering loss as described was issued and done at approx. 49,000 miles. Several electrical system checks were found in maintenance history (done after power steering recall) and preformed before I purchased the vehicle. The issue describe has become worse over time and has effected the safety of not only those operating the vehicle but any one else on the road when this problem manifest itself. Given that the ignition was replaced and the problems persist, I can't believe it was the ignition causing these problems. I will contact GM to see what my options are. Given that GM is paying 900 million to the government in fines, maybe uncle sam could held those of us with GM engineered lemons replace them with something that is safe to drive on the road.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Sep 042014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car rolled down slight hill after turning off and exiting vehicle, transmission shifter appeared to be in park but obviously not as car rolled after leaving alone on slight slope. After accident, I placed key in ignition, started car but will not back up or change position of gear from neutral or drive. Will not go back into park. Key will not come out of ignition now. Bumper and radiator are damaged after crash.

- Milton, WA, USA

Dec 082014

Cobalt

Clutch is losing pressure, can not shift gears to drive the 2008 Chevy Cobalt ls (manual). Must pump clutch over 200 times to get pressure back. The clutch pressure goes out while driving on street and the highways, making it no way to downshift/ slow down. Could cause injury to all passengers.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Oct 092013

Cobalt

The contact was owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the button located on the gear shifter housing became completely detached. In addition, the turn signal and windshield wiper mechanism fractured upon engaging. The dealer informed the contact that they would be responsible for fifty percent of the repair expense. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Loutz, FL, USA

May 022013

Cobalt 4-cyl

My leg accidentally bumped the keychain 3 3/8 inches long (only one key on it, the ignition key) while I was driving, and the car shut off. I was in a 35 mph area, I shifted it into neutral and was able to steer into a left turn lane, shifted it into park and started it.

- Roanoke, TX, USA

Jun 202013

Cobalt 6-cyl

The vehicle's rpms and engine will surge making it difficult to control the speed of the vehicle.

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt

I noticed a slight tapping/rattling noise coming from the front driver side. The noise only occurs between the speeds of 50-60 mph and only when letting off the gas completely. Then I received in the mail an ignition cylinder recall. My car had problems with locking up and difficulties turning the key. So I took the car to the dealership told them about the noise I was hearing then waited a week with no call from the dealership so I called them. They told me my car would be finished by noon, I arrived at 4 pm. They then told me my car was not yet finished. The dealership had not even put in the new ignition cylinder even after a week. I was told the noise could not be replicated. I waited for the ignition to be put in (about 30 mins) then took one of the dealership mechanics on a test drive to hear the noise. Noise was heard and took it back to the shop. Checked under the car and nothing wrong could be found. The lead mechanic took it for a test drive but due to the heavy downpour of rain nothing was heard. I was asked to bring the car back on Monday due to possible severity of the situation. Dropped the car back off at the dealership Monday. A test drive and a look under the car and they found the problem, noise coming from rack and pinion while hitting bumps rack worn and needs replacement steering column making noise as well recommend replacement with out replacement the car would eventually have no steering ability at all: Cost $1524 no warranty. This car has had the power steering recall replacement (the steering wheel suddenly stopped working while in a parking lot due to broken pinion) in 2010 and a transmission issue (RPM rev when the car hit 40 when the gas was not being applied) that was a worn seal it was fixed and covered by warranty in 2011. This would be the twice now with no steering ability only its a different cause? I feel like I'm being cheated.

- La Vernia, TX, USA