2008 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

May 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently and none of the instrument panel gauges were working properly. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The dealer did not know when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Casper, WY, USA

Aug 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E021000 (electrical). An authorized dealer repaired the vehicle and the failure recurred. The contact attempted to start the vehicle and the key would not turn from an off to an on position in order to start the vehicle. The key was unable to be removed. The failure was not remedied when the recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 09/15/14 updated 02/15/2015

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after starting the engine, all four doors locks would independently lock and unlock. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 162014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have had my car shut off while driving 3 times in the past few months. When I originally contacted someone at dealer, was told my year not affected. I never received notification that I was affected but contacted GM after hearing on the news otherwise. I was told they contacted dealer on my behalf and didn't get expected "fix" date. I contacted again a few days later and told them of my situation- I need to move out of state to Colorado on August 11th and this is my only car. I have been going back and forth with them because I need a vehicle I feel safe to drive and do not feel safe in this car, because it has shut off due to ignition switch 3 times, luckily on residential streets. Finally, someone said that I could have a rental because there was no way the car could be deemed safe to drive 20 hours on highway with this history, but they still want me to pay the cost to ship fixed car and all rental expenses until shipped car arrives, which I do not feel is fair, as these are costs incurred to me that would not otherwise incurred if I didn't have this defective switch. I do not know if I have enough money to cover this shipping cost, which is why I am driving to denver in first place to start a new job, and may have to pass offer for rental and chance driving. Can someone please help me?

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt 4-cyl

TL * the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. Shortly after the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system), the failure specified in the recall notice occurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that the contact would have to pay for the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,499. Updated 09/15/14 the consumer stated that the key was unable to be released from the ignition. The dealership suggested that the consumer put her finger into a small door by the steering wheel to access a switch that would release the key. The consumer refused for fear of being electrocuted. Updated 1/13/2015 8js

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 042014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V171000( electrical system) and stated that the part was unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The dealer was uncertain when the part would be available. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Reno, NV, USA

Apr 212014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact's vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). Afterwards, the air bag, service tire monitor, and service engine sensors illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Fairview, WV, USA

Jul 182014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Chevrolet dealership took possession of car beginning of June with nothing wrong to appearance or mechanically ; July 18 they call saying the car is ready to be picked up from the work on the recall issue for ignition switches. First they only wanted to give us one single key when we gave them two with the elec remotes; hour later they produce 2 key/ 2 remotes and apologize that they apparently lost the keys as they had moved the car around multiple time over last 2 months....then when key will only start the car and the remotes don't work and door locks cannot be locked or unlocked; they told us to schedule to bring it back to pay to have it repaired! the recall was on the ignition which we were told required they replace it / make new keys and program them to the car and the doors.....they did not: Dealership was very rude saying car is old andmust have been something else wrong with it..there was not ! and that someone had "screwed with and taken off a panel on the column"..we never work on our own cars. This car was previously worked on by another Chevrolet dealership several years ago and they switched out the ignition switch because our service rep there had heard of a lot of problems and suggested it; this latest repair, we were told to have it done again as they didn't know if the right parts were used when it was worked on before. I exp all that to the dealership and service manager adv them they could call or go on their sites etc and see what work was done on this car. This car is not safe if they leave it where the doors cannot be locked. My daughter is one who drives this and is 4 hours away from home at college in Washington DC. I've contacted Chevy customer service over a week ago and still no response. Am I supposed to get an attorney at my expense, call my congressman, or what ?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Letter from senator graham on behalf of constituent re GM vehicle recall. The consumer stated the ignition switch was replaced on July 1, 2014. The consumer stated he is now having problems with the replacement ignition switch. GM and the dealer, informed the consumer, he would have to pay $ 125 to diagnose the problem.

- Charleston, SC, USA

May 082014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repairs. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact did not experience the failure.

- Ontario , CA, USA

Jul 192006

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the entire instrument panel failed to illuminate intermittently. The contact also stated that the failure caused the speedometer not to be visible. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Brownsville, TN, USA

May 102014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the repairs were unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 10/22/14

- Newport Richey, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to sway bar, power steering and ignition switch problems. The consumer stated the day after the vehicle was purchased, the sway bar links failed. Updated 07/30/14

- Marion, IL, USA

May 302014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car has switched off while driving, and I have notified the dealership of this. They told me that it was a part of the recall and that I would be put on a near year long waiting list. Unacceptable!

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jun 252014

Cobalt

TL * the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical). The contact stated that he had contacted the dealer numerous times and they have no idea when the parts would be available for the repairs. The repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. Contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer has not been contacted.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

May 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign id number 14V171000 (electrical system) and 14V047000 (air bag, electrical system); however, the contact was not unable to have the vehicle repaired because the part was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was notified of the delay. There were no failures.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Apr 082014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the part was unavailable for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Shannon, PA, USA

Apr 142014

Cobalt

My 2008 Cobalt ignition locked up while parked. Car was towed to Chevrolet and they switched it out. Had no ability to turn key, wheel or anything. Everything locked up completely. I finally got my Chevrolet Cobalt back (2 months) from the dealership with a brand new key for the ignition. Went to get into the car and they didn't switch the door locks. Now they cut corners and refuse to pay for or change my door locks so I have to carry around 2 separate keys. I have called Chevrolet customer service and they say it is my fault. I have heard of several other owners of Cobalts or owners of Chevrolet that had the same thing happen.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to defective ignition and start switch recall notice. The consumer stated the vehicle would not start.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jun 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving down a residential road at less than 30 miles per hour. All of a sudden without any warning, everything went haywire: I got a low fuel warning even though the tank was half-full, myriad warning lights flashed, the tachometer needle moved erratically, I lost power steering, and the automatic transmission started shifting very roughly. I pulled over and stopped the car, removed and reinserted the key, and restarted the car. The problem persisted. All without the car key attached to a key chain - GM's proposed solution until new parts can be installed for the recall. I drove the car a half-mile back to my home and shut it off. I restarted the car several minutes later and the problem was gone - the only lingering symptom was a check engine light. I drove it to the dealership that day. As yet (2 days later), they have been unable to recreate the problem. They say they're still unsure whether it's related to the recall. I registered my car for the recall over 3 weeks ago but the dealership hasn't received the replacement part yet. My latest information is they are looking for a spare replacement part because they think it will take another three weeks before the part for my car arrives (that's a 6-week wait-list for a replacement part known to cause fatal accidents).

- Parker, CO, USA