2008 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System:Ignition:Switch

NHTSA — Electrical System: Ignition: Switch Problems

5.7

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Apr 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

GM has been unable to provide quality customer service or resolutions on the ignition recall. I submitted my service request in April upon receiving the notification of the recall. I am stationed in europe and have not been able to find an answer to when I will be able to have my vehicle repaired or the safety of driving the vehicle at the speed limits in germany. GM europe tells me to contact GM usa and GM usa informs to contact GM europe. GM europe has now informed that the dealership/authorized service agent here will not longer service GM vehicles.

- Apo, AE, USA

May 272014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I cant believe it's going to take GM months, years to fix Cobalts ignition switches, there are also fuel pump recall4-13 but my area is "not hot enough" for a fuel pump recall that was advised for other areas"??? wth ?" my appointment for ignition switch fix is months away, if I get killed my family is to sue GM for knowingly holding up the solution!! come on!!!! get with it !!! GM sure gets their money quick but when its time to fix problems and make it right on GM's part they are slacking bad!!!

- Dittmer, MO, USA

Mar 032009

Cobalt

I am concerned that Chevy might have fixed my 2008 ignition switch with parts that might have been in stock for years, perhaps with switches that were found to be defective in prior years. I worry about this because, per media reports, GM did not change part numbers when it hid the fix on prior year Cobalts. I no longer own the Cobalt, but my daughter has it now. I think we would have noticed by now if it was defective, but what about other people. The Cobalt's ignition would not release the key. I brought it to GM who fixed it. The dates above are guesses. Your investigator might have to worry about other years if it can't track part numbers used to fix ignition switches replaced for another reason.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 162009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the contact was attempting to exit the vehicle with the key in the ignition she was unable turn the vehicle off. The dealer replaced the ignition switch; however, the failure continued to occur. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 25724.

- Still Pond, MD, USA