2008 Chevrolet Cobalt engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 042013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact stated that after restarting the vehicle, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The contact also stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering sensor light illuminated as the power steering assist failed. The contact indicated that after shutting off and restarting the vehicle, the defect was corrected. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 212013

Cobalt

2008 Cobalt, gave us no indication of problems. Now dealer is saying this 5 year old car may have slipped it's timing belt and destroyed it's head and valves requiring a new motor. This should be recalled because Chevy does not recommend timing chain maintenance at a set mileage. It's supposed to last. The fact that such a big engine failure can happen to so many of these cars just 5 month after warranty end at 90 thousand miles makes this a design flaw in my opinion.

- Elizabeth City , NC, USA

Nov 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

My most important issue with my 2008 Cobalt lt is that my engine is gone which I think is horrible and I purchased this car brand new I have been the only owner and have taking very good care of my vehicle, I will never buy a GM product again, through reading all the complaints I cant believe this vehicle hasn't been recalled my car started shaking really bad, and making a loud ticking noise, it was very hard to stop and also steer my vehicle I could have been in a very fatal crash or anything! my car also has the same issue about the speakers they go in and out and work when they want to. But my main issue is my engine in which my car I is longer under warranty and the dealership said it is nothing they can do for me, which I believe is totally absurd considering im still making payments on a vehicle that doesn't work, and is only 5 years old, so basically that means to me they will cover your car for 5 years or 100,000 miles then your just on your own which is horrible, to invest and buy a vehicle brand new and it just breaks down in this magnitude! I am very upset and disappointed that they aren't willing to help, so I will be suing them!

- Redford Township , MI, USA

Jul 212012

Cobalt 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to replacement of sway bars, links, wheel bearing and engine. Vehicle currently has steering wheel mechanical issues.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Jun 202013

Cobalt 6-cyl

The vehicle's rpms and engine will surge making it difficult to control the speed of the vehicle.

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Sep 182012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My vehicle started have a slight gas odor when stopped or parked. Within a couple of days the gas smell from fumes are very strong. I have to drive with the windows down to even use the vehicle (living in Texas is it hot and makes it hotter with the window down) the car seems to now make a clicking noise when starting, and seems to not have the gas mileage that it use to. I am afraid of something igniting the gas with such strong fumes. I called parkway Chevrolet in tomball Texas as was told that a recall was coming, but it was not out yet. I was told that I have to pay out of pocket or fear ignition of the fumes from the vehicle. We are in the middle of international adoption and money is tight. Can you give any indication of when this would be an actual recall" and when it might be mailed out" it saddens me to see that they know a recall is coming and wont fix a vehicle with apparent dangers. Also now my passenger airbag light is coming on saying that it needs attention.

- Spring , TX, USA

Oct 052011

Cobalt

Late 2011 my car starting having issues with the rpms going up and down while I was driving at a steady pace. By Dec 2011 my car smelled like it had a small fuel leak; one that I could only smell while my car was idling. Since February 2012 the smell of gasoline has gone from a faint smell while idling to an almost unbearable smell that I can smell even doing 70+ mph on the freeway. With the fuel lines not allowing enough fuel to be pumped into my engine it also does not like to start if it has been sitting for more than a few hours. I have to turn the key let the engine turn over a few times, let it sit, then attempt to start it up again. Chevy has had this problem with their Cobalt's since they have started making them it seems. They have not fixed the problem with the 2008's they have just chosen to ignore that our cars have this issue as well. When I call the dealership they tell me that the 2008 models do not have the issue that the earlier models had, but they are more than happy to diagnose the problem for me at a cost of $150 and they can fix it at double the price anywhere else because they are a dealership. No thank you! I will not pay Chevy to fix a problem that they have caused and refuse to fix. I do know that I will not be buying another Chevy once I am able to get rid of this car.

- Houston, TX, USA