2008 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 132015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while parked, there was a strong fuel odor coming from the vehicle. In addition, there was fuel leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown......updated 01/27/16 updated 02/05/16 updated 02/16/16

- Salem, OH, USA

Aug 182014

Cobalt 4WD 4-cyl

My 2008 Chevy Cobalt lt began to put off a strong fuel odor, both after being parked and while driving. I took it to a mechanic and it was confirmed that the fuel pump module had a crack in it and was leaking fuel onto the fuel tank. The mechanic replaced the fuel pump module and I personally paid for all the costs. A week later, I was notified by a friend with the same vehicle that they had received a notice for recall for this issue in the mail under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 and they were fully reimbursed. I never received this notice in the mail, but I am requesting a reimbursement for having this issue fixed.

Jul 072014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated when starting the vehicle there was a fuel odor. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start immediately and when the ignition was released, the vehicle would sound as if it started without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the mechanic stated that there was fuel leak. The mechanic also stated that when the ignition was in the on position the fuel pump generated fuel causing it to fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the NHTSA campaign: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline) was not a valid recall. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Louiseville, KY, USA

Jun 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have noticed since 06/20/2014 that I have been smelling gas fumes coming from the fuel pump area of my vehicle. I was told that the Chevy Cobalts had recalls on some models, including 2008, in certain parts of the us. When I called to get an appt with the all star Chevy in baker, Louisiana to repair the recall for the ignition switch they told me they knew nothing about a fuel pump recall. Im very concerned and agitated that I never received any notice of any such recalls and then to be told by a Chevy that there was no recalls concerning fuel issues.

- Baker, LA, USA

May 272014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I cant believe it's going to take GM months, years to fix Cobalts ignition switches, there are also fuel pump recall4-13 but my area is "not hot enough" for a fuel pump recall that was advised for other areas"??? wth ?" my appointment for ignition switch fix is months away, if I get killed my family is to sue GM for knowingly holding up the solution!! come on!!!! get with it !!! GM sure gets their money quick but when its time to fix problems and make it right on GM's part they are slacking bad!!!

- Dittmer, MO, USA

Apr 232014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Cracked fuel line attached to fuel pump started to leak fuel badly with a high possibility of a fire. Contacted dealership and it a stated that my vehicle was not included on any recalls related to this type of problem.

Apr 232008

Apr 142014

Cobalt

My gas tank is cracked and has been leaking fuel. The fumes are bad enough by itself but its also a major fire hazard. Contacted GM and even though the recall is clearly stated online for my car GM will not fix their mistake.

- Azle, TX, USA

Jul 232013

Cobalt 4-cyl

While traveling, the vehicle started to jerk as if the brakes were being applied. Contacted the dealer and was informed that this is common in the Cobalts until the car knows your driving habits. Same occurrence in the 2007 Cobalt. The dealer had to adjust the transmission. Dealer will not take action as to date for this issue stating that it hasn't had a chance to adjust to the driving habits. We had the car for more than a few months and put over 3000 miles on it. Car doesn't feel safe to drive on major highways. Dealer is made aware of this. Informed by dealer, not a safety issue.

- Rochester, PA, USA

May 152012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Last year around may I was driving my Cobalt to work and smelled gas. I replaced the fuel cap to start with the least expensive first. I still smelled the fuel. I went to a mechanic and he found that the fuel pump was leaking. He found two issues. One the pump was seated improperly and there was a crack in the fuel return. I still have the fuel pump assembly in case my car became part of the recall issued for some of the Cobalt cars. Looking at the fuel pump, I have to say my car had the same leak as described in the recall but my VIN wasn't part of the recall. Also since my car had the power steering replaced my electronic door locks won't operate correctly, cycling lock and unlock when driving down the road, locking with the key in the ignition, cycling when I turn, cycling when I open the trunk.

- Van Vleck, TX, USA

May 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Gas leaking, bought new fuel pump and gas still leaks a puddle. I have a 6 month old son. Scared my car is going to explode. I have seen other recalls for the same problem, just not on mine. Key also gets jammed will not start sometimes nor will it turn off. The gas leaking is a safety issue for me and my family and also others.

- Manchester, TN, USA

Jun 302013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Long starts, smells like gas, leaves gas stain under car and dripping fuel from tank area just inches away from hot exhaust ! this is serious safety problem car could easily catch fire!

- Wichita, KS, USA

Dec 032012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Well I got my car back in 2009 and now I own it, well I have had power steering which I had fixed, but now I've been really having a bad gas smell and one of my friends dad is a mechanic and he looked at it and he's thinking something wrong with either the line or the filter or tank, I cant stand driving my own car cause how bad the smell is I've started having nose bleeds, and that's not my only problem all my lights are going off(tire, airbag, )etc. Yes my car is not in the best shape right now but I just started working again and my car is falling apart and idk how to get it fixed as of now.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Feb 062013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor while the vehicle was off as well as when it was running. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel pump modulator needed to be replaced. The dealer also informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system: Gasoline). The failure and current mileages were 118,000. Updated 3/14/13 the consumer stated another dealer installed a module kit at a cost of $ $745.12. 04/10/13

- Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 122012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated they smelled gasoline coming from the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the fuel line cracked. The fuel line and fuel pump were replaced because the fuel line assembly was one piece. The contact was advised by the manufacturer that NHTSA recall campaign id number: 12V459000) fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump) did not include Louisiana. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 90,000...updated 01/16/2013 updated 1/24/2013

- Haughton, LA, USA

Oct 112012

Cobalt

Car had starting issues, once took to the mechanic, they found out that the fuel pump connectors were burned and had possibility of igniting during driving. Chevy recalled many cars(Cobalts) with the same issues from 2007 to 2009, when we called Chevy about our vehicle, they said our car wasn't included in the recall even though we had that problem.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jan 032012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My mother in law has a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and she has a strong smell of fuel in side the vehicle and she has to ride with the windows down, and cant take her grandchildren any where with me because of the smell. Also her fuel mileage has dropped considerably she only put $10 worth the gas in at a time because she am in fear of what will happen if she fills it up.

- Odessa,, TX, USA

Jan 252012

Cobalt

Began smelling a faint gas odor in Jan. 2012 while sitting at stoplight coming from my 2008 Chevy Cobalt. Odor has since grown stronger and my mpg's have gone from around 30-32 mpg to 26 mpg on last full tank of gas. This seems to be a common problem with 2008 Cobalts. There was a recall I have come across in my research for years 2005-2007 and problem seems to be of similar nature, but only in certain states, my car was purchased in Texas but currently resides in Oklahoma and I believe it was kept in another state by previous owner. I feel as though this should be looked into by GM and corrected on their side of the deal.

- Norman , OK, USA

Mar 232012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was just informed by my son the his 2008 Cobalt smell like gas. He stated that it has been like that for some time, but only noticed the smell while at a stop or very slow speed. Now it is overbearing and all the time. 66,000 current miles.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Mar 022012

Cobalt 4-cyl

2008 Chevy Cobalt with a fuel tank leak. This is an obvious safety issue and a recall was issued for 2007 Cobalts. Ntsha needs to be proactive with GM to correct this problem on subsequent years of the Cobalt.

- Marietta, GA, USA