2008 Chevrolet Cobalt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Oct 012015

For 2 to 3 months I have been smelling a strong gasoline smell and have not been able to find any leaks anywhere. This happens whether I am driving or stationary

- Burleson, TX, USA

Nov 032015

I have made a complaint before about my car stalling when coming to a stop or idling and the issue still hasn't been fixed. Still no one can diagnose my car, even though this seems to be a very common problem. My car has now started dying when I am driving. I'll get up to a speed and suddenly my car is off on the freeway. I still have no code being thrown on my car. I have put money into the car and nothing has made a difference.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 072015

Bought in Nov 2015 from carmax. Immediately had to flush all fluids, replace breaks, and rotors. The car shuts off. Gauges go haywire, all warning lights come on and then the power steering cuts out. The car then shuts down. This series of events happens whenever it wants to. When I've just put gas in it, on the interstate, in an intersection, in the rain, or in 85 degree weather for example. So far GMC has replaced the fuel pump or something to do with the fuel pump (I'm no mechanic, so I don't know exactly what it was) but I was told it was fixed. Obviously it's not. This problem has now happened while the vehicle is in park. I even have video graphic proof. Honestly, I'm terrified of the car and I just want rid of it with my money back. What happens when this car kills me and or other people while I'm driving it" I've set up an apt with carmax to have it looked at, but if they can't recreate the problem what then" I've got an appraiser coming out from Chevy on this Friday, October 9th. I just need someone to help me.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 072015

Multiple times (not only today) my vehicle did not let me open the doors, the passenger door handle had too much give and did not allow my passenger to open their (passenger) door. I had to walk around the car and try to open it from the outside, which did not work, either. After a few minutes of trying I banged my fist next to the lock, which allowed the car to open. This has also happened to me on the driver's side door. Luckily, there was not an emergency, but if there were, if we were in an accident or the car was on fire, we might have been trapped in the vehicle. Another issue the car is having is stereo problems and speaker malfunction. My front speakers do not work at all and the front left (driver speaker) is the one warning chimes come out of, including the blinker. I have researched this problem and it is a very common malfunction. It is not dangerous per SE, but a blinker left on unknowingly could easily result in an accident. I have researched both of the issues online, especially the latter is very common for Cobalt owners. I have contacted GM, and was told I need to get the vehicle diagnosed for my own money, even though it clearly is a malfunction by the parts/flaw in design to get GM customers to pay premiums for fixing parts that should not go wrong.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jul 302015

The air bag switched turned on and does not cut off and now the car hesitates to start up. All my recalls have been due to either electrical, steering and ignition problems. Now their is an issue witj the air bag and ignition. It chokes them starts after turning the key all the way to the right but it hesitates to start. This dudnt not happen unitl the air bags light started to stay on.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Sep 242010

Since I purchased this car I have had a problem with intermittent stalling. Backing out of a parking stall. Stopping at a red light. Slowing down. Making a turn. Turning into traffic. I have cleaned parts of the car, replaced parts of the car, looked online for the issue (I find a lot of complaints about this with no resolutions), taken it to Chevy (they find nothing wrong). Sometimes throwing the car into neutral will save it, but not always. The car is an automatic. As time has gone on it has gotten worse, but after all the recalls I have had no one can tell me what is wrong with the car. I will be making a left hand turn with traffic coming at me and the car dies. It just seems like GM needs a certain amount of people to die for an issue before they will address it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 042011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The ignition cylinder on my 08 Chevrolet colbalt imploded and I was unable to drive vehicle. I had to have it towed in and repaired. The service adviser told me there was to be a recall on this problem. Is this true" how does someone get an investigation started"

- Michigan City, IN, USA