2008 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Feb 172010

Cobalt

Prior to this incident, I had noticed that the steering was really stiff and hard to steer. I had originally thought that this was just the design of the car. This is a rental car so I only had it temporarily. On February 17, 2010, I pulled up to gas station driving this car: 2008 Chevy Cobalt ls. The steering froze up and the car wouldn't re-start. If this would have happened while I was driving, it could have resulted in serious injury or death. The manager at hertz will not speak to me and has not returned my phone calls. I am reporting hertz to the better business bureau and to my legislatures. Again, this car is a 2008 Chevy Cobalt ls and I have been researching this automobile. I have found that this car has a known issue and numerous customers want it recalled. At this time, I believe they are still having to pay for the repairs.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Feb 152009

Cobalt

Had a knocking sound coming from under hood. Lasted about two months. Took vehicle in before warranty expired and they said I had a faulty steering column. They tried to say it was possibly caused by my worn tires but they still have at least two months left before I would have to replace them. Because part was covered under warranty they replaced the steering column (pt#19209155) and I paid the $100 deductible. I had other problems with steering on the freeway but figured it was the road conditions. Non lead to a accident but at least one time I almost hit another car. Hopefully there will be a recall on this because this could lead to a very fatal accident. I will never use this vehicle to Transport any of my children.

- Winchester , CA, USA

Feb 122010

Cobalt

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. Electronic steering will disengage while driving. This problem has happened numerous times and causing the driver to nearly lose control of the vehicle. The problem will arise if the automobile is on the road at a high rate of speed or moving slowly. Dealerships project the cost at $900 to $1500 to repair. We feel this is the manufactures fault due to an ineffective electronic power steering. It is also a great safety hazard that could result in someone causing a fatality or getting hurt themselves.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Feb 162010

Cobalt

I was driving in town when all of a sudden the power steering warning beeped and flashed and I couldn't easily steer the car. I was able to stop at a red light and turn off the car and turn it back on. The car did the same thing again a few minutes later.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 132008

Cobalt

The contact's sister rented a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The driver was driving at approx 55 mph when the vehicle veered off the road into the opposite lane where it was struck by another vehicle. The driver was killed as a result of the crash. The North Carolina highway patrol inspected the vehicle but could not find a cause for the failure. The contact saw reports of failed power steering in news reports and thought that the explanation could have been a loss of power steering. The contact never spoke with the manufacturer or the dealer about the problem. The vehicle was totaled as a result of the crash. The current and failure mileages were approximately 9,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Feb 152010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at approximately 45 to 50mph. The power steering light illuminated and within seconds the steering locked. He was able to move on the side of the road turned the vehicle off. The steering resumed normal operation. But then it failed again. The vehicle was towed to his home. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The current and the failure mileage were 45,000.

- Germantown , MD, USA

Feb 102010

Cobalt

I was pulling into a driveway and the power steering completely went out and the power steering light came on. I immediately went to the dealership(mk smith, chino, ca) they turned off the car and the light went out and then the steering was fine. I left the car there for them to check out because if that would have happened while I was making a turn I would have had an accident. I know there has been over a thousand complaints with the same problem and even some accidents so I don't want to take the chance of driving the car. There needs to be a recall on this problem. Until there is I have to endure the cost of the repairs. I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt.

- Chino, CA, USA

Nov 152009

Cobalt

I bought a 2008 Chevy Cobalt lt in April of 2009. At the time, it had 28,000 miles on it. As the car neared 40,000 miles it would occasionally lose its power steering capability, but restarting the car would bring back the power steering. As time went on, the problem became more and more frequent until about a month ago when the power steering went completely out. I called my dealer (1/26/10) to report the problem and they claimed to know nothing about it and offered no advice. I then took my car to my personal mechanic who discovered that GM had previously issued 2 service bulletins related to the problem. My mechanic called a different Chevy dealer and found out that the repair (parts only) would run about $1200. I do not have that kind of money, and more importantly, I am concerned about the risk of hitting another car because of the inability to make proper turns, especially in parking situations. I am also quite sure that if I had to quickly swerve to avoid an obstacle, that would be nearly impossible. As well, I am experiencing increased shoulder pain from driving the car without any power steering. Part of my job involves transporting young adults, which I am not comfortable doing because of the safety liability. At this point, I am losing income, and endangering my health as well as the safety of passengers.

- Plainfield, CT, USA

Feb 092010

Cobalt

The power steering went out on my Chevy Cobalt. It has 36,000 miles on it!!!

- Iron Ridge, WI, USA

Feb 092010

Cobalt

I was driving down a side street go to get something to eat. I missed my turn so I put my Cobalt in reverse and backed up a few feet. I turned right into the parking lot and my car started dinging and displaying "power steering". it was hard as !@#$% to turn into a parking space.

- Enid, OK, USA

Jan 082010

Potential power steering issues with 2008 Chevy Cobalt

- Pequannock, NJ, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt

Our Cobalt has always had very sensitive steering from day one. But we thought is was because it was a smaller car. On Thursday morning while going down a steep hill I hit a small patch of black ice. I lost control of the car. But even when I hit dry payment there still was no control. Trying to steer out of the skid just turning the steering wheel a little, I still was not able to gain control, it would over correct, until the car landed in the ditch. Luckily I was not injured. But car is damaged. Will not know until the shop calls us. This car definitely has a steering problem.

- New Richmond, OH, USA

Feb 062010

Cobalt

Power steering failuer while driving.

- Heber Springs, AR, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

I have an 08 Chevy Cobalt lt and the power steering started to randomly go out at the end of January. I looked under the good to find out that they have electric power steering! wow that's new!! so when the problem got worse and it would shut off every half block after being reset many times. I decided to look up the problem on google, to find out there has been many problems with the power steering in Cobalts for a long time now! recall!! my car is under warranty thank goodness but through the used dealer ship I bought it from! I'm paying 100 dollars to have it fix which is only a fraction of the cost. I'm replacing the power steering motor and power steering module. I will be out at the beginning of the week thank goodness! but I have read that it will just continue to randomly go out until the parts are replaced!

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Dec 282009

Cobalt

Power steering failed while driving making it hard to steer. The steering however, would work again when the car was restarted after stopping. After a few days the power assist failed completely. The vehicle was taken to the Chevy dealer and the electric motor was replaced. The dealer kept the part.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Sep 112009

Cobalt

My daughter was driving my 2008 Chevy Cobalt on rte. 219 between ridgewayand bradford, pa on Sept. 11, 2009, when she lost control of the steering. It was around noon and lightly sprinkling. She was traveling North at about 50 miles per hour. There was a truck in front of her which she considered passing. She turned to the left to see if she could pass. She decided not to pass and turned right. That is when she lost steering control. The steering took her too far right and into the guardrail, then she bounce off the rail and over to the left side of the road where she hit the opposite guardrail. The road was flat and straight, not the side of a mountain. The car then took her back to the right side of the road where she stopped. The car suffered about $6000 damage. Had there been a car on the opposite side of the road, she would have been struck head on. We assumed because the road was somewhat wet, she must have hydroplaned. We were just relieved she wasn't killed or injured. When I read the article in the paper about the steering, I asked my daughter to describe where happened in the accident. She spoke of losing control of the steering, so now I fear the steering may be faulty and her life my be in danger.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

I lost control of my Chevy Cobalt, and totaled my car. The steering has been a problem with it pulling to the right, or left. It had been repaired once, but did not solve the problem. It was scheduled to be evaluated again. The day of the accident the road was snow covered.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

While teaching my 16 year old how to angle park Jan 30, the steering locked. We were doing a lot of hard turns and had to stop practicing. Because we were in a large parking lot, we switched drivers and I tested the steering. It seemed to be ok but did tug several times. We went to jiffy lube one block away and they said to take it to our dealer. My husband then test drove it around the block and it seemed fine. Since the parking lesson I've noticed that the steering "tugs and then seems fine" when making hard turns, while parking, and while leaving a parking space. We have an appointment with our dealer tomorrow, dropping the car off tonight. My husband and I are sharing the van in the meantime.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Nov 202009

Cobalt

I purchased a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt for my son to drive. He was practicing parking maneuvers in my driveway when he complained the steering was getting harder to turn. I check the steering and the power steering had failed. I assumed it was because the power steering pump had become hot but it should not fail under those conditions. I seen in the news of the complaints of power steering problems and that is the same problem I have. The dealer I spoke with said they could not do anything about it unless the power steering fails again. I told them am I supposed to wait for the power steering to fail when my kids are new drivers? they said yes.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 202009

Cobalt

I was driving down the road about to get on the freeway and "power steering" showed up on my cars message center. If, while driving, I put the car in neutral, turn it off and back on, the power steering works again, but only for a few seconds, usually long enough to do a turn. There have been numerous times that I have almost hit another car because I lost my power steering right before a turn.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA